PDA

View Full Version : Tunze vs VorTech MP40w

golfish
03/10/2009, 07:23 PM
Hey all,
I have one of the older Tunze pumps, you know, the one the size of a softball. How does the VorTech "out flow" the Tunze?

Is the flow that much wider/spread out then the Tunze...Is it 300.00 more wider/spread then the Tunze?

60Cubed
03/10/2009, 07:44 PM
It is better flow and a lower profile. Has more adjustability in the controller as well. You would be happy with this pump. I just bought my second one!

And where can you get a tunze for a $120? That is comparable to the vortech?

golfish
03/10/2009, 08:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14582505#post14582505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 60Cubed
It is better flow and a lower profile. Has more adjustability in the controller as well.

This is the part that I'm trying to zero in on...The tunze flows at 1600 gph..if I have to adjust the Vortech to flow the same because of the DSB then where's the diff.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14582505#post14582505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 60Cubed
And where can you get a tunze for a $120? That is comparable to the vortech?

I don't know? that's why I asked if the flow was 300.00 better..The Tunze was 120.00 and the VT is 420.00...hence the 300.00.

sjm817
03/10/2009, 09:28 PM
I assume you are referring to a Tunze 6060?

60Cubed
03/10/2009, 09:28 PM
The adjustability is amazing. I have a DSB and can adjust the flow to keep the sandstorms to a min. I do have a cube 2x2. This is one of the things I like most about the pump.

When you say you was $120, which tunze was it. Most of the larger tunzes sell for around the same price as the vortech. Especially once you buy the magnet to mount it anywhere. The only thing I liked about my tunze more than my vortech is ability to change the flow direction. But I will give that up for the versatility and low profile the pump offers.

Musiker
03/11/2009, 01:40 AM
The flow of the vortech is unsurpassed IMO - I have a 6105 and if I should mention one thing that really set the vortechs apart from the Tunzes, is the underdraft the Vortech create. I think it is because the propellar draws the intake water from along the aquarium walls, where the tunze just draw it from all around. Also as mentioned by others the flow is so much wider than the Tunze's..
Only two things that bothers me with the Vortechs is the inability to use a more sofisticated controller like a GHL or the like. And the fact that they make some noise (However not worse than my current 6105 for which Tunze is prepping a kit with bigger proppelar and lower voltage to lower the noise)

BR
Henrik

lostanime
03/11/2009, 11:46 AM
Regarding noise - The tunze 6105 isn't really a fair comparison. It's the only new pump that people are frequently complaining about noise, and there's already a fix that's being released for this.

With that being said, a Tunze controllable pump with flow comparable to a vortech is similarly priced (ie 6105 + extremely basic controller = $400) ... if your going to adjust the flow downward to less then 2000GPH then you might as well look at the vortech mp20, because the only 2 features the mp40w has that the mp20 doesn't (to my understanding), is wireless communication between controllers and it maxes at 3000gph instead of 2000gph. That brings the price down $120 - and the vortech can be upgraded to an mp40w at a later point if needed.

The vortech also has a cool "plug-and-play" polished battery backup solution, that will more then pay for the pump and backup in saved livestock the next time the power goes out :D

(I like both pumps btw, just trying to understand why a 3000gph controllable brand new vortech is being pegged as expensive in comparison to a 1600gph older tunze)

jdg
03/11/2009, 12:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14586724#post14586724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lostanime
Regarding noise - The tunze 6105 isn't really a fair comparison. It's the only new pump that people are frequently complaining about noise, and there's already a fix that's being released for this.

Aroo ? :confused:

lostanime
03/11/2009, 01:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14587175#post14587175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdg
Aroo ? :confused:

Sorry this was in regards to Musiker's post regarding Vortech not being louder then his Tunze... *most* Tunze powerheads are silent. That particular one (6105) has a recently identified issue that Tunze is in the process of fixing right now.

With that being said, our experience with vortechs is that they are quiet (difficult to hear over other equipment)... not dead silent, but quiet.

I probably tried to address too many things in one post :o

jdg
03/11/2009, 01:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14587302#post14587302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lostanime
Sorry this was in regards to Musiker's post regarding Vortech not being louder then his Tunze... *most* Tunze powerheads are silent. That particular one (6105) has a recently identified issue that Tunze is in the process of fixing right now.

With that being said, our experience with vortechs is that they are quiet (difficult to hear over other equipment)... not dead silent, but quiet.

I probably tried to address too many things in one post :o

Ahh ... okay, I thought it was the other way around; I read it too quickly. I thought you were referencing a fix to make the Vortech's quieter. ;)