PDA

View Full Version : How to silence a drain

DaveG99
03/11/2009, 06:23 AM
I just set up my 10 gal sump under my 40 breeder. I have a Quiet One 2200 which is 581gph. I used to have this sump under my other 40 gallon tank and it was fine using the HOB overflow.

The water is draining into the sump and its cming down fast! Its making bubbles and just too much overall noise. I am guessing that the previous set up worked well because I was only using 1/2" return pvc and it had to loop over the edge of the tank. On my current set up the return just basically goes straight up so it may be getting to much gph. I am going to add a ball valve and turn down the pressure some.

My question is what is the best method of silencing the water drainign into the sump?

MeuserReef
03/11/2009, 07:10 AM
What size plumbing are you using for your drain? Larger pipe will mean less noise (assuming the same flow rate is used on both)

Having a "free fall" of water created by having the plumbing run vertical will cause quite a bit of noise. Try addind a 45° fitting or two to eliminate the vertical drop.

DaveG99
03/11/2009, 07:15 AM
There are two 45's on the drain line. I am using 1" pipe. Im thinking of trying this which I saw in another thread...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/daveg99/tee.jpg

scuba namena
03/11/2009, 10:42 AM
try the ball valve on the return line from the pump. slow it down.

Carlton'sTank
03/11/2009, 11:35 AM
+1 on ball valve. Have a drain pipe helps, but I think that is impossible with a HOB, I may be wrong.

DaveG99
03/11/2009, 11:39 AM
I have an internal overflow now.

Im going to use a ball valve to slow down the return pump a bit and Im also going to test out several ideas I have for changing the pvc pipe where it dumps into the sump.