PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9002 Problem....

hotrod797
03/11/2009, 03:34 PM
So I just added my tunze 9002 DOC skimmer to my 29BC and I am not getting bubbles rising to the chamber, I have adjusted the air inlet from all the way closed to all the way open with no luck, took it apart no kinks in the lines, the pump is running fine and the water level is right on mark, I have no clue what the problem could be, if I take the collection cup off and look down into the skimmer the water is bubbling, its just not rising..... Any idea's??? :mad2:

xenon
03/11/2009, 04:01 PM
How long has it been setup?

Give it at least 1 week to break in if its brand new.

hotrod797
03/11/2009, 04:07 PM
It was a used unit I picked up, but it is new to my tank, only been in around 4 hours.

if it needs a "break in" period how should I keep the air mixture screw set?

Jadams
03/11/2009, 04:43 PM
I would take it back to wherever you got it. That shouldnt be happening. Plus IMO this skimmer doesnt have a 'week long break in period'...the day I got mine, I put it in the tank and immediatly when i turned it on, it started to skim. No break in period, and no microbubbles at all..BEST nano skimmer out there!

Good luck :thumbsup:

fishkeeper00
03/11/2009, 04:58 PM
i bought mine brand new and it took a few days for it to start working right.

decent37
03/11/2009, 05:14 PM
mine took a while to work and to tell you the truth it never has really worked that well for me. I have heard tons of people say they are great and are the best but mine has been a big expensive disappointment.

xenon
03/11/2009, 05:30 PM
I bought a new one also and it was a piece of crap IMO.

I could not get much skimmate and when I did it was like tea.

So far the Sapphire skimmer I replaced it with is incredible!

fishkeeper00
03/11/2009, 08:09 PM
there is a small plastic elbow that plugs into the pump and airline be sure it's not clogged.my got clogged with something once and the skimmer would not work at all.

hotrod797
03/11/2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I have had it apart 20 times everything is perfect, yet im not getting any bubbles at all up out of the skimmer even if I turn the valve all the way out, im hopping that if I just leave it sitting a couple days it will start working, its just very frustrating, because every skimmer I ever had on my old 260 started working as soon as I started them...

xenon
03/11/2009, 09:06 PM
If you raise the water level you should get bubbles.

hotrod797
03/11/2009, 09:21 PM
I now have the water level damn near the top of the skimmer and I am starting to get a few, not all the way up the column, just to the bottom of the cup, I am hoping it improves with time

xenon
03/11/2009, 09:44 PM
Maybe your water is so clean there is nothing to skim? lol

hotrod797
03/11/2009, 10:00 PM
I highly doubt that lol, my levels are all pretty good other than nitrates, which have been threw the roof since I got the tank, the corals all seem to do well, but still the levels worry me (40-80!!) and I have tried EVERYTHING!! so short of adding a sump to it, I figured skimming was the only thing left to try.....

jun_18T
03/12/2009, 12:02 AM
i have the same tank and skimmer....from my experience i maintain the water level about 3/8 of an inch below the water level mark on the side of the skimmer. the adjust the blue knob so that when the cup is inside the skimmer...you can just barely see the bubbles inside the tube part of the cup. leave it there for about a day or two and you will see it start producing the foamy bubbles. if the foam is not reaching the top of the cyclinder open the blue knob just very slightly and wait for about an hour again. do this until you get it set right. when adjusting you wont see results right away....you might have to wait an hour or so. i noticed too that everytime i feed or put my hands inside...it will stop skimming for a bit then it will resume. so if you get it set right already leave it there. if you notice that it is not skimming check you water level first. it is usually just that in my case.

HTH:)

hotrod797
03/12/2009, 08:07 AM
I checked it this morning before leaving for work and it was foaming about half way up the cylinder, so hopefully by the time I get home (in 24 hours) it will be going good!!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!