PDA

View Full Version : The loudest bulkhead ever...oh and microbubbles...

joshh81
03/11/2009, 03:53 PM
So.. I am at wits end. I recently came off active duty military and finnally have time to settle down and get my reef up and running again. I got an AWESOME! deal (or so I thought) for a 55 gallon acryclic with stand, hood... pumps...skimmer... everything. This was all great news before the countless hours I have spent fixing it up. I will fill you on the back story to get a full picture, then PLEASE... any help would be greatly appreciated. ( I am sorry for it being a long post)

So as I first set up the tank up it is a 55 gallon acrylic with a 3/4 bulkhead drilled through the top center about 2 1/2 inches from the top. It had a 90 degree elbow which dropped to a 3/4 inch hose that went to the sump.

When I set everything up with the included pump the pump was able to pump more than the return could give back. The result was a horrific slurping created by the siphon. I temporarly fixed this by drilling a hole at the 90 and inserting a small airline tubbing. However they are building a brand new home next to us and they knocked out the power one day... and yes breaking that syphon. So when power came back on about 5 minutes later I am soo lucky I was standing in the living room as I watched water poor over the rim of the tank.

This was not something I was expecting so I bought a 1 1/2 inch bulkhead and drilled a larger hole in the back of the tank. I have a T comming out of the back of the tank with one line dropping down hitting a 90 then another 90 inside the stand and into the sump. The top of the T has a cap with a small hole drilled. This worked great until I kept thinking bigger is better.

It was 2 weeks later that I decided the return lines were nasty looking and the pump was being hindered by such small return lines. My mistake was upgrading them to 1 inch returns. It leaves the pump via 1 inch inner diatmeter tubing, hits a T then goes to the corners where I had to drill larger return holes and upgrade the line loc inside the tank. Because who thinks more flow would ever be a bad thing.

In the process of doing this I aparently have unleased the unknown power from hell of this pump and there is so much water pumping in that I had to get a ball valve to slow some of it down. Issue now is its LOUD!! Nothing I do will get it to be quite. I can hear what sounds like a toilet flushing non stop. Its basicly the water flowing down the PVC and hitting the 90's and the sump is pretty quite. I have a small hole drilled and if i put airline tubbing in it does nothing for the sound. If I take the tubbing out... it twice as loud because it kind of whistles and it sucks in air. SO I drilled a hole a bit larger... now its a deep base whislte.

Other issue i have now is microbubbles. The water is moving so quickly through the sump the bubbles dont have enough time i believe to disapate. I put in a baffle system but doesnt help much at all. I thought it might be a small hole somewhere in the return line but cant find one.

So, basicly by trying to upgrade things I have created a bubbly loud monster. By closing the ball valve almost all the way i can get the bubbles to disapate and the sound to quite a bit, but you still hear it hitting the 90 after a 3 foot fall.

I am former special forces operator who can fix just about anything. But this tank is seriously kicking my butt.

PLEASE HELP!!

joshh81
03/11/2009, 04:35 PM
maybe if I put a ball valve in the drain part i can slow the drain a bit and keep is from hitting the 90 at the bottom creating most of the noise....

dew2loud1
03/11/2009, 04:41 PM
What return pump are you using?
Another option is to run spaflex all the way instead of the 90's that would eliminate any sound and associated bubbles from the drain, heat the spaflex up a bit and you shouldn't have any problem.

1BADDROP
03/11/2009, 05:47 PM
I would not use a ball valve on the drain. If something were to make it thru your overflow it could get jammed in the ball valve and cause your return pump to overflow your display tank.

coralfragger101
03/11/2009, 05:49 PM
What return pump?

So you now have 1.5" bulkhead and 1.5" PVC pipe for the drain?

Pics would be nice to get a better idea of what's going on.

joshh81
03/13/2009, 03:37 PM
Its an odysea pump. Generic but it came with the tank. It says 1380 gph on it. I will take some pics tonight. Yes, I have a 1.5 inch bulkhead with 1.5 running all the way to the sump.

coralfragger101
03/14/2009, 06:14 AM
I'm still with ya. Just waiting on pics.

I'd like to see the pics but I have a feeling that with one drain line you are hindered in how much flow you can have through the tank and be quiet. I have a feeling that you will need to choke the pump back (it is way overpowered for one drain) and then tweek the size of the air hole in your pipe. There are things you can do to help with bubbles in the sump area. Submerging the dishcharge tube, adding a filter sock and or bubble tower, etc.

But let's wait on the pics before you actually try to change anything.

DEFINATELY do not choke back the drain line, you'll be asking for a flood.

MeuserReef
03/14/2009, 09:04 AM
Your pump is probably pumping somewhere in the 900-1000 gph range into the display tank, which then overflows back into the sump. This equates to a 16-18X turnover through the sump... which is a bit overkill IMO.

Personally, I would get a used MAG 5 (or even a 7) to replace the pump that you have. This would reduce both the flow through the sump and your electricity bill :D

joshh81
04/01/2009, 10:23 AM
I think I solved the problem. I tried the spa flex option (actually I found the much more flexible pool hose at home depot) and cut the pipe in the back in half and attached the hose. I took the cap and cut a 3/4 inch hole in the top of it. I took a little bit of the PVC cement and glued a piece of rubber gasket material to the top and inserted two 4" pieces of tubing for air.

This completely eliminated the the sound (its almost whisper quiet) and considerably eliminated most of the bubbles out of the display.

I made another modification since then. I am on a "reef budget" as my wife calls it. So, I made my own refugium. I took an old over flow I had and glued it to the side of the Christmas Tree stand (Its a converted wet dry). I installed two 1" bulkhead and a 90 degree elbow on the outside connected to a small piece of 1/2 inch tubing and a powerhead. The water flows from the display, into a main chamber of the Christmas Tree stand through a filter sock, and then the power head is place ever so nicely that it manages to suck pretty much any remaining microbubbles escaping the sock and puts them along with water into the refugium. I set this up last week and the macro algae had doubled in size in a week.

I want to thank you guys for the help and keeping me from setting the tank on fire in a dark moment of desperation. The tank is running beautifully and lawn gnomes and wreath have never been so healthy and happy.

The next problem I have is to now catch the Eibli angel who has decided it likes the taste of expensive clams and a few other lawn gnomes.

See pics below....

This is a picture of the back of the tank BEFORE THE MOD... and yes the tubing has all been replaced with larger 1 inch clean new tubing.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/joshh81/DSCF0092.jpg

This picture is what inside the stand looked like before the mod...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/joshh81/DSCF0095.jpg

This is a picture of what the Christmas Tree stand looks like after the mod. As you can see the blue and black pool tubing going into the sock. I have 2 baffles in I wanted to make sure they worked before gluing them in. That's a project for this weekend.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/joshh81/DSCF0158.jpg

And last but not least a picture of the refugium. I have some mud on order but the algae has doubled in size in a little more than a week. I am not sure thats a good thing, but I guess I can takle that when the chaeto gets here. I will remove the calurpa for the chaeto.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/joshh81/DSCF0160.jpg