PDA

View Full Version : Holy diatomes!

SquidHC
03/12/2009, 04:40 PM
I am currently cycling a new system. I have gone through the process three times in the past, but this time the diatom outbreak is ten fold what it has been in the past and is showing no signs of leaving. I am currently two weeks into the cycle and have had a tank full of brown for eight days. Is this just one of those patience things, or is there something i can do to speed the process?

kraze3
03/12/2009, 04:42 PM
Blow if toff the sand with a turkey baster. You can scrub off the rocks with a toothbrush. How much flow do you have int he tank?

lounge13
03/12/2009, 04:50 PM
im down with kraze3

WaterKeeper
03/12/2009, 05:08 PM
I bet the LR you had was covered with a lot of dead encrusting sponge. Add some snails to help in the diatom removal but be prepared for a major green algae outbreak. Do some large to very large water changes to remove nutrients that will fuel this latter green scourge.

SquidHC
03/12/2009, 09:41 PM
Have three Koralia 3's and a tunze wavebox, plus my return for flow. Will direct the powerheads more directly into the rocks. Yes, there was a suprising amount of yellow and white sponge on the rock. Have had diatoms in past tank cycles, but only for a few days.