PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Newbie w/ some questions!!! : )

jtmonee
03/12/2009, 05:04 PM
Hey guys,

A few years ago, I saw a few documentaries with Mantis shrimp and I was just amazed. Just recently, it dawned upon me that there is probably a pet trade for these O SO COOL creatures! So i've been researching them for a few weeks now and plan on getting a Peacock sometime in August.

However, i have a few questions:

1) I'm unfamiliar with some of the acronyms you guys use. What's an HOB filter

2) Could someone explain the process of cycling, the few weeks before I actually move the mantis in? (how long do I need to do it? what method I should use?) I've read about the dead shrimp method and the black molly method...Can I just add some cleaners like snails and urchins to cycle it?

3)when i'm cycling, should the setup be complete minus the mantis? (live rock, sand, other cleanup inverts)

Thats about it...for now i think. Any help would be soo greatly appreciated

wally43
03/12/2009, 06:32 PM
1.) HOB is hang on back, most stuff like that if u think about it for a min its pretty simple

2.) your tank will have an ammonia spike then everything will start to settle to where its supposed to be for the most part u can put in a CUC (clean up crew, snails, hermits, whatever) make sure u have test kits nutrate, nitrite, PH, alkalinity, ammonia, and possible a calcium test you'll wanna check those weekly

3.)exactly

do not be afraid to post ask questions anything man we are all in the same boat we love our mantis shrimp too so we want you to keep ur nice and healthy
so ask away hope that helps
wally

jtmonee
03/12/2009, 06:50 PM
thanks wally!

Also, I wanted to get a few things in addition to the mantis, that it wouldnt eat. I've read of some people keeping spiny urchins with theirs, do you think this will work? and a damsel or two?

...and plants! how does macroalgae work? I didnt want to have to put complicated lights in...would the macroalgae need these?

Koshmar
03/12/2009, 07:05 PM
I've kept low level corals with my mantis, along with Caulerpa prolifera and a ball of chaeto that constantly gets harvested by my chiragra for camo. Most motile inverts will be dinner though there are some weird exceptions varying on personalities of the mantises. The urchin would spark the mantis' curiosity I'm sure. I don't know how compatible it would be (likely to survive) with a mantis. I'm sure someone on here has an urchin with their mantis that can give you some advice. All the chromis I've attempted to keep with my mantises have been eaten. You want a fast, non-bottom dwelling fish for a mantis tank. No puffer/parrotfish, though like I said there are exceptions depending on the personalities and sizes of both. Just use common sense, big things eat small things.

jtmonee
03/12/2009, 07:18 PM
thanks,

would those need a light other than a regular flourescent?

Tangalong
03/12/2009, 08:35 PM
jtmonee, I think it would help you a lot to understand water cycling and everything that goes along with it if you go to the "New to the Hobby" section and read the stickies (first few posts) posted by Waterkeeper...he is very thorough and easy to understand. That way you won't miss anything and encounter any problems in the future for your Mantis Tank.

Just what I would do...

micstarz
03/13/2009, 04:36 AM
Welcome to the Hobby!

1. Do not include the urchin.
2. What species are you getting?
3. You don't need all live sand. Mix live sand with aragonite and add about 1 lb of crushed coral (the grade depends on the size of the mantis shrimp)
4. Unless cleanup inverts are cheap and readily available, they may become dinner. (However, both of my mantis shrimps ignore the 40+ snails in their tanks)
5. A damsel or two will be fine. Get smaller species. Sometimes, mantis shrimp will be less active (out of their burrow) when there are fish around. The chances of a well fed mantis shrimp being unable to coexist with damsels are as slim as you finding a tiger in your live rock.
6. You will need to either let your mantis build it's own burrow or provide it with a PVC tube that it can fit tightly into.
7. Definitely do a macroalgae tank! Regular fluorescents will do good. I am setting up a tank with Chaeto, Grape and Feather Caulerpa, Red Gracilliria (forgot spelling), Sea fans and Red Grape.
It will house a mantis shrimp when I can find a Pseudosquilla ciliata.

Good luck with your adventure into mantis shrimp! Just research into it beforehand and you will be fine.