PDA

View Full Version : new to plants and want some help

808lazyd
03/12/2009, 07:13 PM
alright i have been doing research for awhile now trying to find what i want. i know the look i want now i just have to figure out what type of macro will give me that look. i currently have a 75 gallon system running with a nice spot i kept open for some sort of live plant to grow from the sand bed which is about 3-4 inches. now what i want is some sort of macro that grows up more in stalks like how you would see kelp fields growing in the ocean. i want something very appealing to look at. doesnt need to be much in the nitrate removal however i have a few tangs so i would hope it can grow quicker than they would eat it. but will grow replacements in fuge to supplement the loss anyone have any suggestions?

TheH
03/12/2009, 08:16 PM
You want a 3-4" tall green macro that grows as a stalk and is not eaten by tangs? That won't be too easy. If you want a tang-proof macro, it's probably going to have to be calcified. You can try the pencil caps, shaving brushes, and mermaid's fan stuff but aggressive fish might knock them out of the sand.

808lazyd
03/12/2009, 08:35 PM
no my sand bed is 3-4 inches i dont care how tall it gets i am sure the tangs will keep it cut back lol. but i am looking for a leafy type even if i have to replace it with stuff ive grown out in my sump will be fine. was thinking ulva sea lettuce? but not sure if its a good type to introduce to my DT i dont want something to go sexual and take over the DT.

Beaun
03/13/2009, 07:06 AM
Ulva dosnt really look that great. I have some attached to a rock in the bottom of my tank and my Pacific Blue Tang dosnt touch it. But he dosn't touch any of the macros, so its up to what kinds of tangs you have. I would say gracilaria, but tangs love it.

I would suggest, in your situation, shaving brush/christmas tree/pencil cap because they produce chemicals that the fish wont eat. You really cant get a macro that will outgrow the speed that tangs can eat it, unless you get a lot of it, and then it has taken over your tank, which is what you dont want.

808lazyd
03/13/2009, 08:23 PM
yea i dont know i would really like to have a mini kelp garden typ area but it doesnt sound like it is possible

reeferstace
03/14/2009, 08:44 AM
Halimeda. Check it out.

IMO, it is beautiful. I have lots in my 150 DT. My tangs don't touch it. It grows in cracks and crevices in my rocks. It also grows from the sandbed. When it gets too think, I thin it out and give it away at my local club meeting. :)

lancer99
03/15/2009, 08:20 PM
If you want something that looks like kelp, why not grow some Sargassum?

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii249/spoon99/DSCN3749sarg.jpg

-R

Mentat
03/18/2009, 06:46 AM
It might be difficult to get something growing like you desire, specially in the presence of tangs. If they like it, the "appealing" look won't endure long. Maybe can post a pic of your tank showing the area you want to decor and someone could give you more ideas.

Sargassum sp. could fill the aestethics requirement, but are not the easiest macros to grow. Nice Sargassum Lancer99, is it growing well for you?