PDA

View Full Version : I'm tearing it down !

Ronny#66
03/12/2009, 08:58 PM
I've had it with this tank !! Just a $ pit I've dumped hundreds of $ in this thing only 25 gal not worth the agrevation. I should of dumped the gallon of bleach in it last week before my wife used it in the wash . No matter what i do nothing works. Local fish store no help they just want to sell stock!! Well down it goes in the morning.

Ronny

kraze3
03/12/2009, 09:04 PM
Its your tank and you can do what you please but I dont think your giving the tank enough time. Algae cant be beat in a week, sometimes takes a while to get it under control. This hobby can be frustrating at times and I admit it can take alot of work. When you finally have everything under control and you can sit back and enjoy it you will appreciate all the work you did.

As far as your LFS goes youll get better advice here. We dont have any products to sell just knowledge to give.

FWIW dont pour bleach in the tank, if your gonna rip it down at least sell the stuff to local reefers.

reefscape15
03/12/2009, 09:14 PM
I guess i need some more info of why your so frustrated with your tank. You need to understand that with reef keeping, everything take much longer to be resolved than in freshwater. I really hope that you don't leave the hobby from this!

hamiltonguy
03/12/2009, 09:23 PM
I agree with kraze3 and reefscape15. It is your tank do with it as you may but come on don't pour bleach in the tank, that's just killing fish. If you're quitting for simple algae reasons, I suggest you don't. I understand it can look ugly as hell and some times for a while but once it clears (and it WILL clear up) you'll be glad you didn't get rid of it.

As for spending money, it's best if you avoid LFS altogether and get your livestock from local reefers. You'll find it's cheaper and better taken care of. I know full blown corals can be expensive which is why you should buy frags. You save money and get to watch them grow.

I've only been on this forum two months and I've gained more knowledge from here than my LFS in the past 9 months that I've had my tank. Patience is KEY in this hobby. But it's completely worth it, just look at some of the tanks from "Tank of the Month."

feefer2
03/12/2009, 10:51 PM
Ron what kind of sand do you have ?

fordp
03/12/2009, 10:54 PM
Oh man I have felt the same way.

Luckily the algae goes away

celano
03/12/2009, 10:58 PM
Quit being such a drama queen. :rolleyes: You posted pics of your tank just two weeks ago and it looks fine. Many reefers here on RC would love to have a tank that looks so good.

mutateddogbone
03/12/2009, 11:56 PM
beating the algae in your tank is part of the satisfaction of the hobby. to keep a reef tank thriving

research + effort = success

Dweezle
03/13/2009, 12:03 AM
Do it Ronny! Take the power back! Kick that POS off the stand and run gleefully through the flood waters screaming "Freedom!".

Heh, you'll be back in a month asking about your new 220 gal reef tank! It's like a bad drunk. You swear before God you'll never do it again...but then friday comes around. :)

PRDubois
03/13/2009, 12:48 AM
Time to give up or roll up your sleeves! It is your choice, but decide. Do you want to take everything to your daughter or LFS or do you want to fix it.

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 05:39 AM
I can't seem to get ahead with it in just 4 days glass was covered. lost 6 snails fish ok corals ok have two big ricordia or what ever they are real fine. just can't get rid of the algie and I lose cnails a little at a time. I realy don't want to get rid of this tank. but I am at a dead end. I'm only home 2 days a week now maybe thats it i can't baby sit it daily like everyone emse.

Ronny

kzickovich
03/13/2009, 06:06 AM
Try to google fish tank maintaince in your area. There's someone out there that you can pay to help you out not just the fish store that just wants to keep selling stock.

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 06:10 AM
I can't type either but ya get my drift. Very difficult when you don't have a place to go locally to get expert advise. Plenty of that here just difficult to handle these issues here with pics . If I had someone to look at my set up closely here and say yup thats it do this .

Ronny

Juruense
03/13/2009, 06:14 AM
This is great news! Less drama FTW! See ya later Ronny have a nice life :)

oldsaltman
03/13/2009, 06:26 AM
What I found with my first tank was that it is and ever changing environment. You must continue to read and learn about issues and problems. If you expect to have your first tank completely carefree or maintained without plenty of time and work then you are mistaken. With lots of time and care you can stay ahead of most problems, but I don't know if you can ever be to point that you don't have issues with a reef tank. I can tell you first hand it is nothing like fresh water. :p

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 06:45 AM
Well I'm just going to let it run a see what it does. Whats wierd is it all tests ok . Going to do 5 gal water change today.

L98-Z
03/13/2009, 06:53 AM
Atleast it's only hundreds. I've got thousands in mine.

turretdr
03/13/2009, 07:32 AM
Reefkeeping is like golf, to me. It's not the 40 - 50 bad shots that I make, it's the one really good one that makes me go back again. I have struggled with this or that on my tank for several years. But every now and then, I'll have something that goes right and I want more of that so I keep at it.

A local guy just traded out a 125 for a 120, in the process of switching everything over he nuked about 95% of his livestock. I think he lost every fish and most of his corals. His tank, now, looks like poop, but he understands that it is a transitioning phase that he will soon be through.

Another local guy here (was TOTM before) went through over a year where he lost several thousand $$$ in corals alone.

Basically, what I am saying is that reefkeeping is a perpetual project. You are dealing with an ever changing environment. There are some days that you look at your tank and say "Yes, it finally looks good", but IMO, then it is time to get ready, because something bad is gonna happen.

turretdr
03/13/2009, 07:37 AM
BTW, I noticed that you said that you are only home 2 days a week. Me too, I normally travel Mon.- Fri. Trust me when I say, automation is your friend. My wife has no interest in my tanks so she does nothing to them, not even feeding.

jafish26
03/13/2009, 07:41 AM
IMO if your already going crazy get out while you can... not to be mean but if your only home 2 days a week give it up now tanks take ALOT of maintence and time.. In this hobby you get out what you put in and money is a big factor on how your tank will run and look if your not willin to put forth the money and time its not gonna look the best ask any totm guy and I bet they won't say " o yeah hey it was a breeze just toss some water in go buy a fish or two and it worked out great!" Like I said Just My opinion bash me if you must

shuguley
03/13/2009, 07:46 AM
If I was only home 2 days a week, there is no way I would have a reef tank. But Ronny, I saw your pics a couple weeks ago, it didn't look that bad. If you are expecting perfection, it will never happen. Algae is natural, and algae isn't really a bad thing either, we just think it's ugly. If you really want to stay in the hobby you should learn to live with the algae instead of this "all or nothing" mentality of yours. If I go 4 days without cleaning my glass it looks pretty bad too, but I don't worry about it, that's why somebody invented mag floats.

But if you really are not enjoying it, you should get out. Just don't kill the livestock with bleach.

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 08:15 AM
I quese I'm asking a lot not home like I want to be. But I just look at the tank pics here and they always look so pristine. Well You have talked me into staying again . Maybe when i get home I'm so tired from driving 11 hours it looks worse than it is. I think I will put that lawn mower blenny in there see what he will do.

Ronny

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 08:17 AM
turretdr what do you do for living ? What size tank do you have ? I'm a truck driver now. I think tank is so small not enough room for any fluctuation That doesn't affect whole enviroment.

Ronny

kel2682
03/13/2009, 08:20 AM
Its a sad sad day for that tank and its tenants

kraze3
03/13/2009, 08:27 AM
Your parameters may be in check but its possible that GHA is consuming your nitrates, thats why they are low or zero. I had a good battle with the GHA in my 29 gallon. First it was winning but now I have it down to only a few spots and Im not giving up now.

I work 12 hours a day and when I come home i usually eat and go to bed. Its a little different than your situation cause I am here if anything goes wrong but I usually only do cleaning and maintenence on the weekends. Algae can be beat it just takes time and patience.

I also think that your seeing alot of pristine tanks becauseif you had a great looking tank wouldnt you show it off. Alot of people want to say hey look how good my tank looks. Who wants to say hey doesnt my tank look like crap right now. Also think of it this way, how many pics of tanks have you actually seen here versus the amount of members.

Try reading thru this thread, it will help you.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1569829

kel2682
03/13/2009, 08:46 AM
u can doooo it

turretdr
03/13/2009, 08:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14600926#post14600926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ronny#66
turretdr what do you do for living ? What size tank do you have ? I'm a truck driver now. I think tank is so small not enough room for any fluctuation That doesn't affect whole enviroment.

Ronny

I am a service engineer, I travel to customers facilities and work on their equipment (CNC sheet metal fabrication ie. turret punches, press brakes, shear, combination equipment, etc. (hence the screen name)). My tank is a 125 with a 55 sump and 40 refugium.

Of course, the smaller the tank, the faster things change.

shuguley
03/13/2009, 08:48 AM
I agree with what kraze3 said about clean tanks. The pristine tank pictures you see on here are probably taken right after the owner cleaned the tank with a ton of elbow greese. I seriously doubt that all of these pristine tanks always look that pristine. If somebody wants to show off their tank, of course they are going to clean it first. Maybe some tanks do always look pristine, but that's probably because the owner puts in a lot of time and effort, something that would be hard for you to do in just 2 days a week. Also, like you said, with a small tank like yours, it will be harder to keep pristine than a huge tank like most of the tanks of the month on here.

zackdastack
03/13/2009, 10:56 AM
nononono

DiazE
03/13/2009, 11:07 AM
Can we see a picture of the algae forest you talk about?
Tip: get some sea hares.

kel2682
03/13/2009, 12:00 PM
where are you located ronny????

IridescentLily
03/13/2009, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14601142#post14601142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shuguley
I agree with what kraze3 said about clean tanks. The pristine tank pictures you see on here are probably taken right after the owner cleaned the tank with a ton of elbow greese. I seriously doubt that all of these pristine tanks always look that pristine. If somebody wants to show off their tank, of course they are going to clean it first. Maybe some tanks do always look pristine, but that's probably because the owner puts in a lot of time and effort, something that would be hard for you to do in just 2 days a week.
Also, like you said, with a small tank like yours, it will be harder to keep pristine than a huge tank like most of the tanks of the month on here. ^^^^ I agree on all points.

Also, I wonder how old are your test kits Ronny?

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 12:18 PM
Look at green left of button polype on live rock and back glass.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh276/ronny148/100_4693-1.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh276/ronny148/100_4692.jpg

Ronny

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 12:19 PM
Can't get rid of this all parameters good

Ronny

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 12:19 PM
I'm in Vermont

KarlBob
03/13/2009, 12:35 PM
Maybe we need a stickied thread in this forum for "Average Tanks and Algae Jungles", so the pristine tanks aren't the only pictures new reefers see.

Ronnie#66, I haven't seen your pictures, but I can just about guarantee I've seen worse in my own house!

The big reason I prefer reef tanks over freshwater is also the reason they're so hard to maintain: in general, they're far more complex ecosystems. Seeing a peanut worm you never knew you had suddenly poke out of a rock is fun. Watching cyanobacteria bloom on top of your expensive corals is not so fun.

kraze3
03/13/2009, 01:05 PM
Ronnie did you read that thread I linked you too? That tank is not bad at all like i said. You need to take a razor blade to that galss and get it all off. Take the coraline too it will come back. Scrub that crap off the rock with a toothbrush.

hamiltonguy
03/13/2009, 01:22 PM
Take a look at my 20g. If you're saying you have a jungle of algae in your tank then mine must be the Amazon Rainforest of algae. Like you, I'm only home 2 days a week because I go away for university and for the past month I have been SWAMPED with midterms, labs, assignments, etc. And in about 2.5wks I have finals coming up again. But every weekend that I come back, I do my water change, make sure all my livestock is healthy. As for the algae, it's ugly as all hell but I KNOW it will go away. I finally have this weekend free with no university work and so I'm gonna spend a few hours on it picking away every little bit of algae. It just takes time man, keep at it and your tank WILL look good.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/thadestroyer/DSCF1657.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/thadestroyer/DSCF1658.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/thadestroyer/DSCF1659.jpg

DiazE
03/13/2009, 01:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14602996#post14602996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hamiltonguy
Take a look at my 20g. If you're saying you have a jungle of algae in your tank then mine must be the Amazon Rainforest of algae. Like you, I'm only home 2 days a week because I go away for university and for the past month I have been SWAMPED with midterms, labs, assignments, etc. And in about 2.5wks I have finals coming up again. But every weekend that I come back, I do my water change, make sure all my livestock is healthy. As for the algae, it's ugly as all hell but I KNOW it will go away. I finally have this weekend free with no university work and so I'm gonna spend a few hours on it picking away every little bit of algae. It just takes time man, keep at it and your tank WILL look good.

DAMN!!! The one who started this post shouldn't be complaining. Do you have a skimmer? You need a good one to remove the dissolved organic compounds fueling the growth. :eek1:

hamiltonguy
03/13/2009, 01:46 PM
Well I don't want to thread jack but no I don't have a skimmer, I'm thinking of buying a aqua c remora but I'm planning an upgrade to 75g in a couple months so I don't know if it'll be best investment.

I'm gonna spend a couple hours today picking it all off and doing a 4g water change. Then the same thing tomorrow. I haven't had time to deal with the algae I've just been making sure that my DOCs are low and livestock is happy and healthy. My nitrates read 0 but I think the algae is consuming them all.

convict3
03/13/2009, 01:50 PM
ronny that is a good lookin tank. one quote from somewhere

around here, the solution to pollution is dilution. make a few

water changes and in a few weeks it will look beter. also

what kind of watger r u using

maxheadroom
03/13/2009, 02:21 PM
remember, in this hobby only BAD things happen fast. :D

chris4869
03/13/2009, 02:24 PM
I can't believe I read the whole thing to find out that patch of cyano is your problem. :(

Hey hamiltonguy, get a couple of snails (cleanup crew) and you will never have to deal with this problem anymore. It's a loosing battle if you're doing it on your own.

KarlBob
03/13/2009, 02:26 PM
Hamiltonguy, I use an Aqua C Remora in my 20 gallon, and a Remora Pro in my 80 gallon. If you're planning to upgrade soon, and you've decided to go with Aqua C, I suggest buying the Remora Pro. As far as I know, a couple of months of skimming overkill won't damage your 20 gallon, and when you move up, you won't have to buy another skimmer.

hamiltonguy
03/13/2009, 02:31 PM
I will be getting about 10-15 zebra snails later today, have 4 already. And yeah you're right it definitely is a losing battle fighting it on your own.

As for the skimmer, I've got my eyes set on an Octopus DNW-110 Recirc skimmer for the 75g upgrade. Just a couple more months of hard maintenance isn't all bad.

L98-Z
03/13/2009, 02:41 PM
My tank went through something similar to this when I first started it. Now you can hardly find a trace of the same algae. It's only on the powerheads and can easily be suctioned off. It just started dying off one day.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14602996#post14602996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hamiltonguy

seapug
03/13/2009, 02:48 PM
Ronny, are you seriously going to give up because of the algae shown in the two pictures above? That's nothing! My tanks have gone through long stretches where they've looked much worse than that and I still have spots where algae tends to grow. Get a scrubber pad and go to town on the back wall and take a toothbrush to that tiny spot on the rock.

Remember, it's more about management than total elimination. Having some algae is a normal, healthy part of a reef tank.

hamiltonguy
03/13/2009, 02:48 PM
Hehe, I just showed the powerheads but it's acutally all over most of the rocks and just a small patch on the sand that I can just pick off :D. Hoping to get everything settled this weekend.

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 02:50 PM
I put in 10 astria turbo's lost 6 since sunday. I forgot to heater back in tank went down to 70 from 78 think that did the snails in. still have 3 nasarious and a few small hermits.

Ronny

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 02:51 PM
only 25 gal tank whats a sea hare . would it be too big for this tank ?

Ronny

DiazE
03/13/2009, 02:52 PM
Stop crying Ronny, your problem is nothing in comparison!

hamiltonguy
03/13/2009, 02:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14603607#post14603607 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ronny#66
only 25 gal tank whats a sea hare . would it be too big for this tank ?

Ronny

A sea hare is possibly the ugliest creature you can get for a reef tank but GHA is like their heroine and they munch on that stuff like no tomorrow.

DiazE
03/13/2009, 03:00 PM
The sea hare is going to need PeptoBismol cherry!

KarlBob
03/13/2009, 03:18 PM
If you're having trouble keeping snails alive, you might not want to risk a sea hare right now. A sea hare is a type of sea slug. They're not as pretty as most of the nudibranchs, but some people find them helpful. Other people emphasize keeping the sources of nitrate under control so algae doesn't grow, rather than throwing animals in the tank to eat the algae.

FlamesFan
03/13/2009, 05:05 PM
I can't remember a person who has started more threads like this. Obviously you lack the skills or knowledge or patience or comprehension or all of the above to succeed in this hobby. Without the want to learn it sounds like you should just shut it down instead of causing more harm to the living creatures in your tank.

It's the honest truth. I've read hundreds of posts of people trying to help you, all of which has obviously fallen of deaf ears. It's useless helping someone who cares not to be helped.

Ronny#66
03/13/2009, 06:36 PM
Flames fan :

Then why the heck did you respond. I realy don't have the time or patients to read your self centered comments!! If you don't like my threads when you see my name do me a favor and don't respond. You should change your name here to Losersfan

Ronny

Ronny

stricknine
03/13/2009, 09:31 PM
+ 1 flames fan.

This is a positive place for reefers to help each other out, not a ***** session about your problems. If it was easy and brain dead than everyone would have a reef in the living room. I have seen a lot of your threads, always whining about a problem, yet not acknowledging the answers given to you.

Save the reef, and honor your constant posts of giving up.

Dweezle
03/13/2009, 10:11 PM
Oh lighten up guys. This place wouldn't be the same without Ronny. Everyday when I log in I checkout the current Ronny thread just to remind myself that I'm not the only one out there thats been driven to near insanity by some tank problem or another. Come on, at somepoint most of us have really thought about just taping one of the cute coral reef backdrops to the front glass and calling it good :)
As for your tank Ronny,...its not that bad. For the longest time I had a turbo snail with more hair algea on its shell than you got on your rock. My wife named him Bob Marley cause she thought it looked like dreadloks. Keep working at it and you'll get rid of it. Untill then, all you can do is just take the advice and the ribbings, ...or give up and admit that one of the simplest forms of life on our planet kicked your butt. ;)

jafish26
03/14/2009, 10:17 AM
yeah people "newbies" do need help on here and I am ok with that but I have put alot of time and investment into understanding a reef and how it all works. So to me yes help out a fellow reefer with things but don't hold his hand the whole time or he will never learn. This website is for people who are commited to keeping reefs and saving reefs not to help someone who is gone 5 days outta the week and can't figure out why his tank is not mainting a "picture perfect" look! Tell ya what take a year or 2 off do some research spend more then just a couple hundred dollars, If stuff still isnt working then come back and start BI#@hin and whining. sorry just hate how people think that they can just go to the lfs and buy everthing today and have a "cool reef" today......

DiazE
03/14/2009, 10:21 AM
I Agree with the above:
This is not a hobby to be taken as a fad, you need to have an appreciation for the creation.

robot2222
03/14/2009, 10:42 AM
i dont know but it helped me i bought some live rock that was in a tank for 2 years added 20bs to my 95b . my alge went away this is the first time i have not had alge. i hope this helps .

jasonrp104
03/14/2009, 10:57 AM
Ronnie, I used to be extremely picky about my sand being perfectly white. After a 3 day lights out I took off the blanket and saw that all of my algea was gone except for what was on the sand. Then I noticed how many little critters were living in the sand. I showed the Mrs, who immediately banned me from ever siphoning my sandbed again. It was the best advise I had ever gotten. I have pods, dusters, worms, all sorts of crap that I always wondered why I didn't have showing up everywhere. Now, I like the look of it. It seems more realistic to me

Feed your fish, stick to your weekly or bi-weekly water changes and enjoy your tank for awhile.

btw:I saw your Seaclone thread. I'd reccomend not messing with that skimmer unless you really want to go crazy. They are an absolute pain to dial in. I tried one for a bit and decided I'd rather just use the powerhead from it for flow and do more water changes than keep messing with it.

Ronny#66
03/19/2009, 05:20 PM
For the posters pointing fingers at me I see you Are fairly new here and what do you know about how and what I have done with my tank. I know you haven't read all my posts here ! And it's people like me that bring you what you need for this hobby. So before you start pointing and commenting on me Do a little reaserche on what and where I've been in this hobby!! Untill then i will try to ignore your shallow comments !! Good Day!

Ronny

jbird69
03/19/2009, 05:58 PM
While reef central is a great resource, its not the be all, end all of reef keeping knowledge. Theres a lot of oppinion, anectdotal rabbit trails and fireside philosophy to weed thru. (No Offenses RC, I love this place) You really need to dig in a little deeper to succeed totally. Buy some books and google. There are endless hours of reading good hard facts about keeping a reef aquarium.
A smart thing to do is FIRST look up some hard facts about the problems you are dealing with..in books or the internet, then come here to reef central and bounce what youve learned off the knowledge here. Information is the road to success...and its right at your finger tips.

eric@tampa
03/19/2009, 06:30 PM
Hey ronny keep up with your water changes,ect. and good luck....And whats up with the people from Canada? I thought we were trying to help here not BASH so lighten up.

singold
03/19/2009, 06:39 PM
Keep an eye on phosphate levels. Lawnmower Blenny & turbo snails help with algae. But ultimately find source. Could also be overfeeding, tap water, high phosphates, etc.

acemow
03/19/2009, 06:47 PM
Hang in there. I got a sea hare that my LFS saw eating hair algae and other algae ravenously. I brought it home and it mowed through everything. I did partial water change, rinsed filter media, replaced phos. remover and de-nitrate product, monitered water closely, only ran lights two hours a day for about a week. I also passed the sea hare on because there wasn't enough algae left after a couple weeks to sustain it's voracious appetite

mustang51js
03/19/2009, 06:56 PM
ronny your tank looks fine, just get more snails and acclimate them right and they should take care of that little algae, i have about 40 snails in my 90 and they keep it clean, but i still have algae, its just a part of having a reef

Ronny#66
03/19/2009, 09:21 PM
The canada thing was in regard to the post from Stricknine ! By the way was reading the other nite in my sleeper cab waiting over a day to get a load out of Michigan. Economy shure afecting Trucking and all transportation modes. Back on subject My salinity is 1.025 and LFS in Michigan said it shoulden't be higher than 1.024 . I read in reef keeping book it can be 1.024 or higher that would be 1.025. So whoes right. LFS whereI get my snails and crabs is 1.023-1.024 . Could this be the problem with my snails and crabs dying ?

kraze3
03/19/2009, 09:25 PM
Mine is 1.025-1.026 and I never had any problems. Are the crabs/snails dieing right away or over a period of time?

mustang51js
03/19/2009, 10:22 PM
i would think that if you just threw them in it would be a problem, maybe they just fell upside down and died because you weren't around to right them, it could be something as simple as that, i had 2 upside down the other day in about 5 minutes but it doesn't happen all the time, then if one dies it could possibly kill some of the others

stricknine
03/19/2009, 10:47 PM
Public enemy #1 here.

There is no quick fix here. And ACEMOW: Good to hear you got rid of the sea hare. Would have died in your tank, glad it was a rental. Bandaids are not the fix. Time and care will make it all better!

Ronny, my new reefer friend, as it sounds like you are away a lot, I would say your hermits are the problem. If all params are ok, crabs are opprunistic killers. They will eat other hermits, kill snails for shells, and fight for food. I hate to say it, but let the hermits kill eachother off, and go snails to clean algae, nassarius to eat the waste (bristleworms are great too), and maybe even a bristle star if over feeding is common.

Aside from that, water changes w/RODI only, rinse the food in RODI, and have the equipment up to par.

Happy Trails! (smileyfacething)

***were not that bad up here in our igloos! (anothersmileyface)

Ronny#66
03/19/2009, 10:57 PM
Stricknine : My truck won't go that far north!! Up through Toronto every sunday is bad enought My Hermit real small actualy 10 for $10.00 is a rip off for the size. And yes I realy think my wife doesn't turn them over. Well i'm going to test and try a different turbo grazer. Also this tank is only 25 gal. I've actually tried most that has been sugested except boiling my rock and thats out of the ? Hey was reading your hobby exp i saw a sea horse in grand haven Mich last week in LFS .

Ronny

Ronny

stricknine
03/19/2009, 11:29 PM
Ditch the hermits, get snails that right themselves, teach the boss water changes, and your good. next time you are available, take out the rock and give it a scrub. Suck out the 5gal or so of water change water in a bucket, grab the troubled rock, and scrub that rock with a toothbrush.

I left a 24 biocube alone for 10 weeks after I upsized to my 72, as it was established and I didnt want to trash it, but had no idea what to do with it. Me and the boss spent the time to make it right, cleaned it up, and now its a seahorse tank. Huge PITA, but the work pays off. Pics:

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/m_strickland/Mar%2015%202009/P3150056.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/m_strickland/Mar%2015%202009/P3150117.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/m_strickland/Mar%2015%202009/P3150104.jpg

Long story short, you get out of it what you put in to it.

Good Luck!

...and the EH TEAM are the good guys! (smiley thing)

Michael
03/20/2009, 12:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14650446#post14650446 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stricknine
Public enemy #1 here.

:lol: trouble maker

love the sea horse tank

hey ronny, do you aclimatise the snails before you put them in? i mean for several hours, i use to lose snails, i didnt let them aclimatise long enough, i dont lose many now

Ronny#66
03/20/2009, 08:12 AM
I did but not several hours . The drip mehod is talked about but not shure about the knott end how to adjust the drip in this method. i just float bag and add water loke I do a fish. after about 1/2 hour scoop them out and put then in. haow do you aclimate ?

Ronny

mustang51js
03/20/2009, 08:27 AM
i do the same as you but maybe for an hour or so

Ronny#66
03/20/2009, 08:32 AM
So many different opinions on how do manage a tanke here Like politics.

Ronny

Juruense
03/20/2009, 08:55 AM
Save the drama for your mama.