PDA

View Full Version : Lfs

mustang51js
03/13/2009, 04:37 PM
i just went and bought a clam and was talking to the guuy there, he told me that my t5's are no good and i should get some power compacts, then the owner chimes in and says he doesnt like t5's either, I allways here that the t5s are better than power compact or are they just trying to sell me on old fixture

kraze3
03/13/2009, 04:39 PM
T5s are bettier depenind on wattage, bulb, and reflector. Pcs arent gonna help out a clam all that much. Ive only heard of one or two kinds of clams being kept under pcs

MileHighFish
03/13/2009, 04:49 PM
Take what the LFS says with a grain of salt and do what you did, come to RC and get clarification. I was at my LFS (horrible store) and the lady (owner) was telling a guy the same thing, but at this store they dont offer T5's.. I have heard this lady give some really bad advice and it seam most of their customers dont do their own research and get sold what ever crap they have on hand. So short answer be careful. IMO PC's are old school and dont compare to T5's..

phil519
03/13/2009, 06:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14604267#post14604267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mustang51js
i just went and bought a clam and was talking to the guuy there, he told me that my t5's are no good and i should get some power compacts, then the owner chimes in and says he doesnt like t5's either, I allways here that the t5s are better than power compact or are they just trying to sell me on old fixture

what LFS do you go to in NJ?

SirVilhelm
03/13/2009, 06:05 PM
LFS by me (Orange County, So Cal) are no good! The first one I used to visit while I was in my planning stages told me that my idea of using a protein skimmer was wrong and that I needed to purchase his sump filled with bio balls! And this was the owner telling me this! Needless to say I haven't been back to his store.

Now I go to a little asian owned store which sold me a several animals I should never have gotten (feather star). I learned the hard way that I have to research EVERYTHING before buying. No longer do I trust anyone who owns I fish store.

I know they are in business to make money but I just hate how the ones in my area put quick $$$ first and not the hobby. oh well...

betamed
03/13/2009, 06:06 PM
T5 with indivual reflectors blow PC lights away in terms of par. Also I like the color selection better and the bulbs last longer.

MileHighFish
03/13/2009, 06:43 PM
SirVilhelm, I have to strongly disagree with you about LFS in So-Cal IMO they are some of the best in the country..(I just moved from So-Cal I have shopped those stores for over 15 years) Please check out Ali's store in OC..
What store did you go to??

http://www.amazingaquariumsandreefs.com/index.html Owner is a Team RC and knows what he is talking about.

MileHighFish
03/13/2009, 06:46 PM
But I will add stay away from the "Tong's" in the area. But there is some truly great stores that care about their people.. heres another great store..

http://store.fishcollection.com/ <- also a sponser here on RC

mustang51js
03/14/2009, 05:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14604830#post14604830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phil519
what LFS do you go to in NJ?

animal house in butler, it started when i asked them if they had any 10k t5 bulbs and they dont even carry t5 bulbs,but i thought it was funny they had t8 bulbs

mustang51js
03/14/2009, 05:23 AM
and they wanted $40 for a cleaner shrimp

CSoli921
03/14/2009, 06:00 AM
That's outrageous!

just dave
03/14/2009, 07:38 AM
Don't confuse T-5 bulbs/fixtures with T-5 HO (high output) bulbs/fixtures. I've seen many people that do so because they read about all these T-5 fixtures and in most cases they are reading about High Output T-5 fixtures. There is a big difference. When talking T-5, T-8, T-12,...etc. We are referring to bulbs of a certain diameter (T-5 = 5/8", T-8= 8/8" or 1", and so on.) Their are T-5 fixtures that are not High Output units. There are also T-5 PC/CF bulbs/fixtures.

mustang51js
03/14/2009, 09:48 AM
i have t5 HO, never told him that so i dont know if they were talking about regular t5's

m2434
03/14/2009, 10:08 AM
Well he probably wants you to get power compacts because the bulbs cost 2x as much as T-5 bulbs and need to be replaced 2-4x more often. Next time you talk to him, look for the little dollar signs in his eyes.

GSMguy
03/14/2009, 11:44 AM
Don't go back to that LFS ever.

mustang51js
03/14/2009, 02:03 PM
i wont be, the emerald crab i got yesterday is now dead, i thought it was dead when i got home but was moving a little but i just picked him up and he's dead.

SirVilhelm
03/14/2009, 09:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14605107#post14605107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MileHighFish
But I will add stay away from the "Tong's" in the area. But there is some truly great stores that care about their people.. heres another great store..

http://store.fishcollection.com/ <- also a sponser here on RC

MileHighFish - Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check those places out soon.

I went into Tong's twice but they always have multiple tanks with multiple dead fish in each. I went to some place in Tustin called Puppies 'n Guppies, fail. There are two others that I go to but I don't really talk to the employee's because they just push product and do not care about the hobby.

Again, thank you for the suggestions, I will check them out this weekend.

MileHighFish
03/14/2009, 09:14 PM
O yea Puppies and Guppies use to be Fish 2000, they were bought out by those people you meet, I agree sub par store indeed.. The previous owner was great and they had a huge selection and a shark tank that was actually a large pond.. There is another store of the 5 near the 55 I dont remember the name, but its also not a good store..

ed102475
03/14/2009, 09:21 PM
IMO t-5 HO are only better if you have individual reflectors,and the color spec is better, but as far as watt for watt light output about the same without the individual reflectors.

MrRob
03/15/2009, 08:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14609124#post14609124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
Don't go back to that LFS ever.

amen! If I did that I would never step foot in any in my area!

phil519
03/15/2009, 11:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14607385#post14607385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mustang51js
animal house in butler, it started when i asked them if they had any 10k t5 bulbs and they dont even carry t5 bulbs,but i thought it was funny they had t8 bulbs

george - sorry man I don't really know of any LFS in north jersey other than Absolutely Fish in Clifton - which has Manhattan pricing. I think it's a north jersey thing. :rolleye1:

If you're ever around central jersey -you could check out Aquatic Obsessions in Avenel (right off Route 1) or Ocean Gallery II in North Plainsfield (on Route 22)

SirVilhelm
03/16/2009, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14605079#post14605079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MileHighFish
SirVilhelm, I have to strongly disagree with you about LFS in So-Cal IMO they are some of the best in the country..(I just moved from So-Cal I have shopped those stores for over 15 years) Please check out Ali's store in OC..
What store did you go to??

http://www.amazingaquariumsandreefs.com/index.html Owner is a Team RC and knows what he is talking about.

So I checked out this store and http://store.fishcollection.com/ over the weekend.

Wow what a difference. Amazing reefs was very clean and had nice display tanks. The only problem is they have a very small dry goods selection but I rarely buy dry goods from LFS anyway.

Fishcollection was absolutely amazing. When I first walked in I was put off by the fake rubber coral for sale, not sure why but I always feel that makes a place "cheap".

The store was very clean, no dead fish in the tanks and a HUGE selection! They had a sell on Rose Anenome's for $35/piece. They had about three dozen in a tank so I had to pick one up.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestions! Turned out to be a very good weekend ;)

MileHighFish
03/16/2009, 02:35 PM
Glad to hear!! They care about their people and if there is anything special you need Jimmy will order for you. Some times the other staff is so so, but Jimmy (owner) is real nice. Greg

MileHighFish
03/16/2009, 02:39 PM
I would also recommend checking out the other store when you get a chance.. Small on supplies but he only sells what he uses and believes in.. Amazing coral/frag selection..