PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Quarantine tank

platinumck
03/13/2009, 07:50 PM
I found my tank had an outbreak of ICH in it last weekend. So I performed a 10 gallon water change friday night then an 8 gallon water change saturday then a 4 gallon sunday. Sunday morning before the change I noticed all fish were clear of ICH.
Well whenn I got home from work today it was back with a vegenance.
So I ran out and got a 20gallon quarantine tank and dropped in the infected fish. Now what do I need to run this tank as far as filtration goes? I have a BIO-WHeel from my old freshtank that I cleaned and put in it. Should I put any type of media in it or just let the wheel run? I also place about 12lbs of sand and a peice of my ive rock in in it.
Also, to treat the ICH I am using Mardel CopperSafe to treat the infected fish which are a blue hippo tang, Small porcupine, and a Flame Angel. What other suggestion can anyone give me?

kraze3
03/13/2009, 08:10 PM
Take the live rock and snad out your only going to kill it. I would get a cheapo hang on back filter for the tank. Put some pvc in for hiding.

I cant comment on that mardel because I have never used it. I prefer to use hypo salinity to cure ich, i dont like chemicals.

Freed
03/13/2009, 08:17 PM
All of your fish should be treated, not just the ones that you saw the ich on. The others could have it in their gills and/or the ich could also be scattered about the tank in the sand, on the rocks or in the free floating stage waiting to attach to another fish. Keep an eye on pH and also ammonia in QT and be prepared to have enough water on hand on a daily basis to do water changes.

dwd5813
03/13/2009, 08:23 PM
don't put that sand and rock back in your main tank after treating with copper.

stricknine
03/13/2009, 08:56 PM
My QT:
- Tap water
- Powerhead
- HOB filter w/sponge from DT tank fuge for some BIO
- Heater
- 2" PVC tees for hiding

Simple is better.

stricknine
03/13/2009, 08:57 PM
...also, copper meds should not get close to a reef tank. Write off anything that was in the copper water.