PDA

View Full Version : A few stocking questions (ok a lot of questions). looking for stocking suggestions

launchnukes
03/13/2009, 10:28 PM
I've had my 220 up and running for about two months now and i've slowly been adding corals, rearranging rockwork, and trying to get my water paramaters under control. so i figured i'd use this time to plan/research which fish i'm going to add in the near future and far future. I plan to keep the tank a peaceful community and mixed reef. so i don't want any bullies (that's why i traded my 5" yellow tang for a smaller one). I would also like to keep smaller fish so i can keep more fish. i have a few softies and lps now but i want to start adding more sps. i want to have a ton of fish but i know with the corals i have to keep the bioload down.

Tank Specs:

220 Oceanic Glass Tank
250-275 lbs live rock and 160 lbs live sand
40 or so gallon sump/refugium
Aqua C 400 protein skimmer with MAG 24 pump
Phosban Reactor running 150g Phos Media
Phosban Reactor running Carbon
Sulfur Denitrator (still tuning it in)
4 96Watt PCs
3 250Watt HQI halides

Current Livestock:

1x 7" Blonde Naso Tang
2x 2.5-3" O. Clowns
1x 2.5-3" Yellow Tang
1x 3" Blue Hippo
3x Smaller PJ Cardinals
1x 1.5" Six Line Wrasse
1x 1.5" Royal Gramma Basslet
1x 2" Fire Fish
1x Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
1x Fire Shrimp
xx Cleanup Crew
some softies, lps, & sps

am i already close to maxed out? i know it depends on the fish but approx how many fish should i be able to keep. i know the answer to this is add one at a time and keep an eye on everything (nitrates, etc.) but i was just wondering if it was 10 or 20. lol.

here's a few fish I was considering. and a few quick pros/con's/questions for each:

Purple Firefish - good, peaceful, small fish wouldn't take up much bioload and my regular firefish could use a buddy (his partner died b/c of a crappy lfs). Would a purple firefish get along with a regular one? or would they most likely do their own thing?

Mandarin - i'm definatly adding one, i'm just waiting a couple months to get my copepod population up

Flame Angel - (small) i really like these guys and i'm 99% sure i'll add one. i know he may nip a little but i've heard most are ok. or should i not even consider him because if he does nip i'll never be able to get him out. lol. if i do add one do i really need to add him last or will he be ok if i introduce delicate/peaceful fish after him?

Bartlett's Anthias - (i would add 3 smaller ones) i really, really want these guys but i only feed once every other day and I know i'll need to feed these guys twice a day. that makes me afraid of my nitrates and waste going up with the feedings. do they take up significantly more bioload than other small fish b/c of the multiple feedings? also, will they eat the mandarin's copes?

Flasher Wrasses - will they get along with the sixline? i would like to add one McCosker's

Copperband Butterflyfish - i know they're a little difficult to keep but i've always like them. but i'm a little worried that between him and the six line they'll eat the mandarin's copepods. would that be a problem?

Achilles Tang - i've always loved these guys but i'm not even going to consider one until my tank's up and stable for at least a year.

RBTA or other anemone - I'd also really like to add a rbta in the future. will he eat any of my other fish? if i do add one and the o.clowns don't host it would i be able to add a small anemone clown or will he fight the ocellaris? or are they not even worth looking at b/c they'll move and sting corals?

any help would be appreciated. Any other stocking suggestions?

Thanks.

snorvich
03/14/2009, 04:26 AM
A sixline precludes fairy and flasher wrasses, they do NOT get along. If you add another firefish, you may lose one, they too do not get along in the LONG run. A mandarin needs a mature tank so you need about a year; especially given a competitor for copepods with the six line.

launchnukes
03/14/2009, 07:32 AM
That's what I was afraid of with the flasher wrasses so i think i'll scratch the wrasse idea.

I added 2.5l of pods over the last few days so i'll make sure to give everything plenty of time before the mandarin.

i really had no idea that the firefish wouldn't get along. is it because they're different colors or do all firefish not get along in the long run?

also, scratch the achilles idea. i'll think i'll do a smaller powder blue instead.

thanks for the reply.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14607329#post14607329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
A sixline precludes fairy and flasher wrasses, they do NOT get along. If you add another firefish, you may lose one, they too do not get along in the LONG run. A mandarin needs a mature tank so you need about a year; especially given a competitor for copepods with the six line.