PDA

View Full Version : Sort of an upgrade question.

hamiltonguy
03/13/2009, 11:33 PM
I have a BTA in my current tank that's about 9 months old. I know that to put an anemone in the tank it needs to be matured for at least 6 months. So if I upgrade to a 75g tank, can I just move the anemone in the new tank or would it be way to stressful for the anemone?

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/13/2009, 11:39 PM
I moved my piece of frogspawn from my 38 gal tank that was around 11 months old. Took it out and just placed in in the 155.. no issues.. doing great.

stricknine
03/13/2009, 11:47 PM
I belive the 6-12-18 month rule is to ensure the tank is "stable". Regardless of it being healthy in the old tank, the new tank is not yet matured. It needs stability, and a matured environment. ( I remember the diatom bloom, cyano, spikes due to added bio, etc in my first tank)

Wait for the tank to fully mature and settle. A new tank always takes time to become fully populated, and all the bio and critters settle.

stricknine
03/13/2009, 11:48 PM
...Also, dont upgrade to a 75. Not big enough. I just upped to a 72 and it is too small already!

hamiltonguy
03/14/2009, 04:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14606925#post14606925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stricknine
...Also, dont upgrade to a 75. Not big enough. I just upped to a 72 and it is too small already!

I know a 75g will be too small for ALOT of the cooler fish but being 19 and in first year uni, I can't really afford to go bigger.

Ok, so if I upgrade in a couple months will the anemone survive the move?

drparker
03/14/2009, 05:20 PM
Do you have enough live rock for the 75? That is key. Get the extra rock you need into the 75 and let it cycle before your upgrade.

crvz
03/14/2009, 07:49 PM
As long as you're not adding new substrate along with the upgrade, it will be fine. If you are adding new live rock, you'll want to have it cured separate from the system before hand, as drparker points out. If it's base rock, or you're just adding dry sand, there shouldnt be near the same concern.

hamiltonguy
03/14/2009, 08:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14610798#post14610798 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drparker
Do you have enough live rock for the 75? That is key. Get the extra rock you need into the 75 and let it cycle before your upgrade.

Well basically here's the plan: I have about 30lbs liverock right now, I will be getting dry rock for the new tank ~50lbs more which will be seeded with my current liverock. I will also be getting dry sand and seeding it with my some sand from my current tank. Before I add ANYTHING to the new tank, I'm going to wait for it to completely cycle so ~2 months after it's set up.

I was just concerned that the new tank might not be "mature" for an anemone.

reefscape15
03/15/2009, 01:51 PM
Are you moving everything from the 30gal into the 75? I jumped from a 20 to a 54gal, and did a few waterchanges making sure not to suck out a bunch of crap from the smaller tank, and put the water change water into the 54. Try to mix your new water and older water in the new tank for a week or two before you add the stuff from your old tank. Just take your time and acclimate the stuff as if you'd picked it up from your LFS. I had about 45 frags when i switched and didn't loose any of them!

hamiltonguy
03/15/2009, 04:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14615547#post14615547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefscape15
Are you moving everything from the 30gal into the 75? I jumped from a 20 to a 54gal, and did a few waterchanges making sure not to suck out a bunch of crap from the smaller tank, and put the water change water into the 54. Try to mix your new water and older water in the new tank for a week or two before you add the stuff from your old tank. Just take your time and acclimate the stuff as if you'd picked it up from your LFS. I had about 45 frags when i switched and didn't loose any of them!

Yeah pretty much everything except the sand bed will go in to the bigger tank. Of course I'll use all the water and live rock. As for livestock, there isn't much (see sig). I like your using the water change water in the new tank idea. Oh and thanks for reminding me about the acclimating, I'll have to keep that in mind :rolleyes:

Can't wait to get started on the build in May :bigeyes:

lordjnx
03/15/2009, 10:24 PM
i say go for it...

i had a 55 glass break and had my 135 go up in a hurry...

i didnt loose a thing in the move ..

just another mini-cycle.

but i agree ... cure the added rock first... i had all the spare rock i needed in the sump below the 55 just stewing for the move ahead of time.