PDA

View Full Version : Your Feeding Regime

dnsfpl
03/14/2009, 06:32 AM
what do you feed your fish?
what brand/type of pellet do you use?
roughly how much and how many times a day?

i have 2 tangs 4 clowns 3 gobies 2 chromis, feed 4 times a day, 4-5 hours internal

morning 1 frozen cube of mysis
noon pellets (weekend seaweed or lettuces)
evening pellets
night 1 frozen cube of mysis or bloodworm with soak with garlicguard

thanks

daudelus
03/14/2009, 06:48 AM
I feed once a day, alternating between pellets, mysis, and formula one gel cubes. The mysis day I will feed the corals also.

cham
03/14/2009, 07:15 AM
I have 3 tangs, 5 chromis, 4 blennies, couple clowns etc.

I try and feed twice a day. In the morning I'll usually grab some Rods food tang mix or regular.

In the afternoon I do a vitamin enriched meal.
I use a small tupperware style container. Each evening after I'm done feeding I scoop a very small amount of tank water and drop in 5 drops of zeo aminos, 5 drops of Kent zoe, 8 drops of brightwell vitamin C and 5 drops of garlic. Then I put in purple nori, blood worms, rods food & two sizes of mysis (large & small).

It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't. When I get a new batch of frozen food in (mysis, blood worms etc) I thaw it all out and mix them together and rinse all at one time to get rid of excess P04. Then I throw in the rods food and refreeze. Now each day I feed, scoop out some tank water, dose vitamins and throw in a chunk of meaty goodies and a half sheet of nori.

Allowing the viatamins 24 hours in the frige I think gives great vitamin delivery to the fish.

Corals love it too, all the polyps go nuts each day when the liquid of that mixture hits the water.

seanm001
03/14/2009, 08:17 AM
In the morning, I turn off all flow in the tank & target feed my non-photosynthetic gorgonian a mixture of Coral Frenzy & freeze-dried cyclopeez. Then I turn the powerheads back on to let the leftovers circulate to all the other corals & I turn the return pump back on before I leave for work.

In the evening, I have a rotating schedule of frozen mysis, New Life Spectrum pellets, and Nori. Nori is target fed to specific animals, but eventually becomes community food. Every other Sunday, I target feed my anemone, ricordia, sun polyps, acans, candy cane, etc. a meaty food (either mysis or frozen cocktail shrimp).

dnsfpl
03/15/2009, 04:42 AM
unless i feed my yellow tang with seaweed or lettuces
it has sunken stomach no matter how much i feed

anyone has the same problem?

cham
03/15/2009, 05:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14613286#post14613286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dnsfpl

A tang in a nano? lol

Give us more details on your feedings and what the tang is doing.

dnsfpl
03/15/2009, 05:24 AM
the tang is in my 3x2x2 feet tank

Stanley-Reefer
03/15/2009, 07:19 AM
15 fish, many corals
AM--0700
I feed a combo seaweed sheet clip with ON green, brown,red, along with Sprung's green, purple and red(which is like chewing tobacco--only my yellows, regal and vlamangi will eat it!)--sheets are about 2"x2" and it lasts about 30 seconds
PM--1700
I give a small pinch or two of formula 2 pellets, Hikari S pellets, and soak a few Hikari A pellets in Zoe/garlic so they are soft--I still have to through a hard one in for the gramma--he's like a trained dog. The clowns and cardinals appreciate a few freeze dried krill in the corners too!
PM--before the halides go out I feed pe mysis or any combo of the differenct ON frozen foods before the actinics go out, I feed Rods so hopefully there will be some floaties for the corals once the lights are off.

20 fish--many corals
AM--0700
I will do a pretty good amount of pe mysis and a small piece of Rods
PM--1700
Repeat performance of the 90
PM--near lights off
Repeat of the 90
I have many tangs here too, but they pick of the rocks more so I give them less seaweed--the 90's corals have grown to where there is limited grazing so I do sheets more there.

Important--I cut a regular ON frozen cube into 8 pieces. I'd say I feed a total of 3/4-1 cube to each tank/day. I like a fingernail size piece of Rod's.

I do use coral frenzy, Reef Nutrition oyster, arctic pods, phyto, freeze dried cyclopeeze and reef bugs---BUT ONLY ONE OF THEM EVERY 3-4 DAYS--I learned my lesson the hard way overdoing it with red slime that is now GONE (thanks blue vet)

dnsfpl
03/15/2009, 11:58 PM
i notice Ocean Nutrition pellet is very popular among reefers
is this the most value for $ pellet?

thanks

ludnix
03/16/2009, 12:35 AM
Some of you sure do feed a lot!

1 - 3 cubes of mysis/brineshrimp ever other day, nori fed on the off day.

120 gallon
-------------
1 yellow tang
1 tomini tang
1 foxface
2 clownfish
3 chromis
1 coral beauty
1 royal gramma
1 pink and blue spot goby

dnsfpl
03/16/2009, 12:53 AM
read from the web that 4-5 moderate feeding a day is normal

JustinReef
03/16/2009, 01:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14607525#post14607525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dnsfpl
what do you feed your fish?
what brand/type of pellet do you use?
roughly how much and how many times a day?

i have 2 tangs 4 clowns 3 gobies 2 chromis, feed 4 times a day, 4-5 hours internal

morning 1 frozen cube of mysis
noon pellets (weekend seaweed or lettuces)
evening pellets
night 1 frozen cube of mysis or bloodworm with soak with garlicguard

thanks

5 Tangs, Rabbit, Tusk, Clowns, Butterfly....and I could go on and on ;)

I feed 3 times a day. Each time a mixture of home made frozen and nori. Then they get pellets about 3 more times a day randomly.

My homemade food is a blended mix of fresh seafood such as prawns, mussels, clams, squid, octopus, ect. All mixed in tropic marin vitamins and garlic.

Once in a while I feed mysis but I find it a pain to thaw it and try to get rid of all the high phosphate water. Cheaper for me to make my own food and the fish are much happier/fatter.

Once in a while I feed them only tiger prawns (they're favorite) and have figured out they eat about the equivalent of one and a half 2" prawns per day plus 4-5 sheets of nori. The tangs also get caulerpa quite often as a treat.

JustinReef
03/16/2009, 01:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14613286#post14613286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dnsfpl

Lettuce is useless for tangs. Doesn't have much nutritional value at all for any fish. Feed nori or macro algae.