PDA

View Full Version : Tank of the Month - March 2003

Skipper
03/04/2003, 10:46 PM
This month we're featuring Michael G. Moye's awesome 500 gallon in-wall system:

<center>http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/totm/images/thetankbig.jpg (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/totm/index.htm)</center>

More details can be found here (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/totm/index.htm) or by clicking on the picture above.

Congratulations, Michael! You da man! :D

rbaker
03/04/2003, 11:03 PM
Congratulations! I love your set-up... Very well deserved Tank of the Month...

Ryan

PS: The photoperiod slide show is very cool.

metamorphis
03/04/2003, 11:46 PM
Amazing tank. I knew it was only a matter of time before you were granted tank of the month status. Nicely done.

BTW - When are they going to start releasing entire seasons of Married With Children on DVD? I actually taped the reunion special. :D

DocHoliday
03/05/2003, 12:42 AM
Very Nice Tank! And cool fish room too! Looks like you have your own private sink back there. I wish things were that easy for me!

Very much deserved Mike!

BTW - I saw your E! true hollywood story on Married... and I couldn't peel my eyes off your tank in the back round of your enterview!:D

Blackgagt1
03/05/2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by metamorphis

BTW - When are they going to start releasing entire seasons of Married With Children on DVD? I actually taped the ruinion special. :D

i taped it too. and i bought the first DVD the first out of the box

You have an amazing tank i hope one day that i have a setup very similar to yours. of course with exceptions.

melev
03/05/2003, 03:01 AM
Micheal,

Great tank... I'd seen a few pictures just recently, but I really enjoyed your descriptions the most. It is an amazing reef, and yet again, another tank with a bunch of 250w bulbs and not 400wattters.

Your opening paragraphs ... lol!

And it is way cool to come to this thread and find out you had a hand (or produced?) Married with Children. I know it is kind of off topic, but could you summarize your Hollywood history in one reply? It might avert a few hundred emails asking for all the details. I did watch that MWC reunion a couple of Sundays ago. But I've got to find out when the E! episode will air again, so I can see your tank in motion. :D

Can you post a picture of your caulestria please? ;)

COWabonga
03/05/2003, 04:04 AM
Love your tank!!!!

can i get your autograph:p

mjaffe
03/05/2003, 08:51 AM
Congrats To Michael for being chosen as Tank of the Month
here is the link to Michael's website

www.moyesreef.com

We hope to see you there
Marc

64Ivy
03/05/2003, 10:12 AM
A nearly deafening shout-out to all responsible for an honor like this; in particular Skip who took my virtual shoebox of words and pictures and made them into something spectacular. Thanks for all the nice words regarding the tank, the website (now updated), and for the show. To answer a few questions:

I don't know when they show will be available on DVD. That's up to a bunch of lawyers and business affairs people I never met. Therefore, it's safe to assume that it should be out about five seconds after one of the former cast is arrested on a captial crime.

They run that E thing a lot (the interview was taken over a year ago) so all I can tell you is to keep checking the tv guides.

melev: It would be tough to tell my story in one reply unless the moderators don't mind a reply that's a few hundred pages long. Suffice it to say right here that I wrote and produced TV comedies for 20 years. And while I am most known for MWC, I was also involved in "Good Times", "Sanford", "The Jefforsons" (which I wrote & produced for 5 seasons), "Silver Spoons" (Co- created), "227" (Co-created under an assumed name...long story in and of itself), and "It's Your Move", a short lived NBC show starring Jason Bateman that the observant will recognize as a precursor to "Married".

Trivia Question: Which two "Hollywood" producers majored in Marine Biology in college? A. Me and the creator of "Spongebob Squarepants".

But back to reefing: WHOOOOHOOO!!! This is an incredible honor for me. Again, thanks to all who made it possible.

Flame*Angel
03/05/2003, 11:13 AM
Excellent choice for Tank of the Month. I really enjoy your website and I believe your TOTM writeup is the only one I've read every word of. Great job!

Gary Majchrzak
03/05/2003, 11:22 AM
Congrats Michael- your aquarium is one of my favorites!:)

Lowenbrau
03/05/2003, 11:32 AM
Thank you for an increadible tank and website. I very much enjyed the descriptions and historys of the corals. Great Job!

colemanitis
03/05/2003, 11:34 AM
Your tank is definitely one of my favorites. I have your Web site bookmarked and check it out from time to time. Congrats!

holeinone1972
03/05/2003, 11:36 AM
Fantastic Michael. Looks great !

Al Bundy would be proud to know putting shoes on fat woman for all those years finally made someone a success!

WOW I can not say enough.

Congrats!:smokin:

zooqi
03/05/2003, 11:40 AM
I have seen that tank before and I think it was in my dream in a new house. Very nice and nice setup in the back.
:beer:

SeanT
03/05/2003, 11:42 AM
But since I know the time will come when her visits will become less and less frequent, I always defer to her.

thanks to my daughter for not. Her quote, with Frisbee in hand after watching me wile away yet another spring day tinkering in the tank: "Isn't outside good too, Daddy?"
These statements made me tear up.
You can see my sweetie next to me in my avatar.
It should be illegal for her to grow up.
:sad2: :sad1:

ToiletTank13
03/05/2003, 11:46 AM
Did I miss something in the setup......... no mention of a DSB????

Mike, what made you decide not to use a DSB? System size?

What do we do to take the place of a DSB in a system that size?

And what did I learn about this..... that I don't need a DSB?

Beautiful tank....something I hope to achieve when time and lifestyle permits. Kudos

zooqi
03/05/2003, 11:57 AM
SeanT: She is very very pretty girl. :D

SawCJack00
03/05/2003, 11:59 AM
Triumphant!

Dakini
03/05/2003, 12:16 PM
Wow! Great tank! Congratulations!!!

Dak

Chris Lakies
03/05/2003, 12:17 PM
Very, Very Cool tank - Silver Spoons was awsome!

I would also like to know why you went with-out the DSB or should I say no sand or substrate at all?

I'm going to set up my puny little 120 gallon reef tank and before I fill the tank with 240 pounds of sand I would like to know your take on DSB's.

Thanks!

JazzMan
03/05/2003, 12:18 PM
It's about time! :D :D

Craig Lambert
03/05/2003, 12:23 PM
Congrats Micheal!

I have visited your site a number of times in the past, and have always found your photographs inspiring. I must say that upon my first visit to the site last year I was struck by the line...."This all started in 1978 because my landlord wouldn't let me have a dog" In my case this all started when my 4 year old daughter won a goldfish at the Walnut Creek "Walnut Festival". That was followed by a visit to what turned out to be the finest lfs in the San Francisco Bay Area to by a fish bowl....You can guess what happened after that....

Craig

JonF
03/05/2003, 12:50 PM
That aquarium and the great Al Bundy (long live his name) ... you are my new hero.

MtnDewMan
03/05/2003, 02:06 PM
Very nice Tank of the Month choice ... Michael, you have a beautiful tank, inhabitants, and setup. Nicely done. And well deserved.

Originally posted by Flame*Angel
... I believe your TOTM writeup is the only one I've read every word of. Great job!

I take offense to that ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just kidding ...

Again, very well deserved TOTM ....

MrSandman
03/05/2003, 02:07 PM
Congrats Michael! A well deserved award for one of the cleanest looking setups i've ever seen.

goofball310
03/05/2003, 02:26 PM
Congrats!

Only if the tank was here in Hollywood so that we could take a peek at it in person. Who knows, maybe some of us will get to work with you again if you decide to come back into the industry. I've meet a few people on RC that work in the industry.

64Ivy
03/05/2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by melev

Can you post a picture of your caulestria please? ;)

Sorry. I had forgotten earlier.

http://www.moyesreef.com/lps/Images/Caulastrea-echinulata.jpg

Also, in reference to the dsb questions: Obviously, when the so-called Berlin method of reefkeeping was in vogue (or should I say the LAST time it was in vogue as it seems to be coming back if I'm interpreting the 'winds of the boards' correctly), I jumped on it for two reasons: One, it made more sense than it's predessesors (UG Filters, Wet/Dry filters, etc.) and two, it seemed to work! Granted, this was a time before the internet when information was a bit more...spotty. But from what I saw and heard, the Berlin method did in fact work. I went with it and had no real problems. Now, when the DSB method really gained in popularity I was intriqued. I read about the benefits, the asthetics were undeniable, and it just so happened that all this was taking place at a time when I was moving and therefore designing a new tank anyway. Everything was perfect. Until I asked for dsb specifics. That's when the trouble started.

"Go 6 inches" shouted one faction.
"Bull", shouted another, "You'll get dead pockets and kill your whole tank. Just put in a dusting ."
"No benefits in a dusting! Go deep".
"Then you can't have any water movement. You know you're gonna need water movement"
"Use bigger sand grains"
"So-and So recommends fine sand"
"Yeah well So-and-So recommends COURSE sand".
"Well So-and-So says So-and-So is an idiot!"
"Get a plenum"
"Don't get a plenum"
"You're gonna kill your whole tank!!!"

...You get the idea. Anyway, since I never heard such contention about the barebottom method and (for me, at least) it worked, I went with what I knew. And now that I'm hearing this "Old Tank Syndrome" theory (which may be alleviated by partially changing out your sandbed every so often), I'm thinking I did the right thing. Again, for me at least.

I handle the nitrate problem in two ways: One, I use a LOT of LR. I also "go through" quite a bit of LR because whenever I go on a fragging tear, I find myself switching out a fairly substantial amount of rock with the corals. This may help with the "OTS" problem too if current theorys are correct. And two, I utilize a refugium which DOES have a sandbed and thus (hopefully) I glean all of it's benefits, just indirectly. Currently, my nitrates are practically 0. Even before the 'fuge, they were only between 15-25 ppm.

So to sum up: The frustrations of the DSB debates made my decision to stick with a barebottom for me. Truthfully, I'm sure both methods work if they're done correctly. It's just with a tank of this size, I wasn't about to do and redo and reredo my substrate everytime someone published a new book or proposed a new theory. As it is, this tank is nearly 5 years old now and never looked (or tested) better.

Sorry for the length of this post. It's the writer (as opposed to the editor) in me. It's also why my wife is the one in our family who writes the "Thank You" notes. :)

plankton
03/05/2003, 02:32 PM
Michael ,

Yeah baby!

I just forwarded the link to your tank writeup to my wife telling her I've found my dream tank I want to setup!

You're viewing room is simply incredible.

Scott

plankton
03/05/2003, 02:41 PM
Michael,

My dream tank! Yeah baby!

Scott

joeychitwood
03/05/2003, 02:47 PM
Amazing reef tank!

You and the previous winners of TOTM are on a different planet than I am when it comes to equipment and sophistication. To successfully maintain and operate such a large, intricate ecosystem is really an accomplishment.

The cool thing about reefkeeping is that whether it be a nano or a 500, we all can enjoy the creatures of the sea.

wrasstaman
03/05/2003, 02:50 PM
Congrats on an exceptionally outrageous tank.
Inspirational!
But - Is it really inch and a half acrylic?
If yes, why so thick?
Thanks and I really was a big fan of MWC as well!
Wrassta

cvye
03/05/2003, 03:19 PM
What a tank!
Q: How often do you have to adjust your magnesium levels? If you don't, are you having trouble keeping the Ca++ up?

BTW, don't beat yourself up on this: there's no overlap between someone who sets up and maintains a tank like that and someone who relaxes in front of it. Let others relax! ("Lunch is for wimps!")

64Ivy
03/05/2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by wrasstaman
Congrats on an exceptionally outrageous tank.
Inspirational!
But - Is it really inch and a half acrylic?
If yes, why so thick?

Wrassta

Uhmm, upon further review, it turns out it's only an inch thick.

...You know how some of us guys have trouble with the whole...measurement issue... :)

joeychitwood
03/05/2003, 03:49 PM
An inch acrylic instead of an inch and a half? A 50% overestimation of sizes turns out to be the only function of the male-defining Y chromosome, which is otherwise highly repetitive and mostly non-functional!

Desert Fox
03/05/2003, 04:53 PM
Fantastic Michael. Keep up the love for the hobby, and for your family for that matter!

Blue skies,
~Fox~

Desert Fox
03/05/2003, 05:00 PM
Just jumping on the praising bandwagon. Fantastic Michael. An inspiration...

Blue skies,
~Fox~

foxstop
03/05/2003, 05:59 PM
Your tank is simply breathtaking!
Awesome job and congrats Michael!

Brian

64Ivy
03/05/2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by joeychitwood
An inch acrylic instead of an inch and a half? A 50% overestimation of sizes turns out to be the only function of the male-defining Y chromosome, which is otherwise highly repetitive and mostly non-functional!

Hey, I didn't know Rosie O'Donnell was a member of RC!!! Welcome aboard, Rosie!!! :celeb1: :celeb1: :celeb1:

joeychitwood
03/05/2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by 64Ivy
Hey, I didn't know Rosie O'Donnell was a member of RC!!! Welcome aboard, Rosie!!! :celeb1: :celeb1: :celeb1:

OUCHHH!!! Right through the heart!

BobCReef
03/05/2003, 06:16 PM
absolutley gorgous tank Michael. you deserve the recognition. Tanks like that don't just happen they take time and devotion. Great job!

64Ivy
03/05/2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by joeychitwood
OUCHHH!!! Right through the heart!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

miamidolphins
03/05/2003, 06:38 PM
Great tank,

Great career, I like many others on this board grew up watching your shows, and could not imagine it any different.

Let me not be the only one to say "thanks for the memories"

DocHoliday
03/05/2003, 06:44 PM
Michael. What's on the agenda for your tank in the future? Trade or sell frags? (The blue tip acro is amazing!) Breeding fish? Adding things? Upgrading? Livestock change over?

Hey this hobby would be boring if we didn't always tinker with stuff right!

BTW - I think the theme to "Sandford & Son" is the best sitcom theme ever. Except maybe "The Greatest American hero."

Great website too! Very well done. I like yours and *Flame Angels* I think there should be awards for websites too!:D

ToiletTank13
03/05/2003, 08:28 PM
I didn't see this on your site or in the article.... do you remember how much LR you usually have in the system?

bean
03/05/2003, 08:44 PM
My dream..........killer tank

64Ivy
03/05/2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by DocHoliday
Michael. What's on the agenda for your tank in the future? Trade or sell frags? (The blue tip acro is amazing!) Breeding fish? Adding things? Upgrading? Livestock change over?

A whole lot of fraggin', Doc. This is more out of neccessity as due to poor planning on my part, many sections of the tank are starting to become overgrown. As you know, this in turn creates dead pockets, cyano, and some actual warfare as the acros begin to touch and co-mingle (By the way, I look at how packed some of those German reeftanks are and I don't understand why there's not rampant RTN going on in them. Will someone please explain how they do that? ) Anyway, I have already struck a deal with one of my LFS to take whatever I choose to give in trade for supplies. And I need a LOT of supplies. Next time perhaps, I'll try shipping some out but given the harshness of this winter, I think I'll wait until my next fragging session; sometime next fall. Once this session is done, maybe I'll try my hand at a few of the harder to find things...throw in a new fish or two. But generally, I'm happy with everything and, as I said in the article, I plan to spend THIS summer playing more with my kid (and making photographs). Thanks, by the way, for the kind words.

bean
03/05/2003, 10:31 PM
well every time you start tinkering with that tank send those frags my way lol.........great tank

dc
03/05/2003, 11:31 PM
WOW, your tank, your site, both are so great. Love going through your website. So inspiring! :thumbsup:

phdezra
03/06/2003, 09:14 AM
Beautiful tank and setup. Well done.

3_high_low
03/06/2003, 11:48 AM
64Ivy,

Congatulations for a well deserved tank of the month honor. Words alone cannot describe your wonderful lay out. And props for your equally wonderful website. Excellent text and photos! As I gaze in awe into my computer screen at the image of your viewing room I can honestly sense the serenity. What a heavenly space you have created!:thumbsup:

Beach Native
03/06/2003, 07:46 PM
Michael,

I am like so jealous...(dramatic pause)...I wish I could write like that...

Oh, and the tank's pretty awesome as well...

B.N.

richw
03/06/2003, 11:16 PM
I have always admired your tank and website -- kudos for the award.

cecilturtle
03/07/2003, 12:58 PM
Michael,

Congrats on a well deserved honor. If I were to ask for one thing it would be to add a tad more pics of your reef. I've seen those too many times already......:)

jayjellyfish1
03/07/2003, 10:50 PM
:eek1: :eek2: nice tank :smokin: :cool:

cyclgrl
03/08/2003, 01:33 AM
Hey Mike,

After reading through your website, I feel like I know you already! Some of your trials and tribulations really are a trip!

Beautiful tank, but I think you know that.

I too have a problem keeping my hands out of the tank, but with a 27G (I'm a newbie), I'm usually looking for something to do! Let me know if you need some help sometime. :)

Congrats on the award!

Cindy

1BadHawk
03/08/2003, 09:26 PM
MIKE: First let me say congratulations. Your tank and your sitting room are both awesome.

Guess it would take a Hollywood buff to afford something like that. Sorta eliminates any chances I 'll have at Tank of the month. Maybe Ill should for something a little less prestiqious, perhaps tank of the moment. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it looks like your hard work and persistance has paid off quite well. Congratulations once again.

reeferaddict
03/09/2003, 12:12 AM
Beautiful Tank..:eek2:

I got the impression from the website that you may want to sell some zoo's in the future:D If you do please Pm me.

Congratulations-

BonsaiNut
03/09/2003, 02:14 AM
Michael;

Congratulations on a great tank! I don't know which I like better - the fish room or the viewing room :) My wife went nuts over the cove ceiling -- I may have another job heading my way soon...

Two quick questions:

1) Can I get a highres version of the picture in your TOTM column - the one titled "reef at night"? I found it very striking and would love to use it as a wallpaper. I have a broadband connection so feel free to send me a big file at bonsainut@cox.net.

2) You mentioned when you first started that you had a couple of complete tear-downs before you "did it right" and got to your current level of success. What were the major changes between the earlier and later versions? What change made the most significant impact (in your opinion)?

Thanks again! Great tank for me to look up to :)

scubadude
03/09/2003, 09:55 AM
Kudos Michael!

Your site is awesome, your tank is totally off the hewk! and you seem like a great guy. Congratulations :D :beer: :thumbsup:

cratylus
03/09/2003, 03:27 PM
Michael, I love the tank and also the dedicated maintenance room. Just spectacular! In planning my own large reef aquarium, I'll keep yours in mind for information and inspiration. I think what I like best about yours is how you've been successful with 250W MH in a 36" deep tank. It shoots down all those supposed know-it-alls who claim you need 400W or 1000W MH for tanks deeper than 30". Anytime someone is successful while going against current wisdom, I like it! :thumbsup:

On a side note, thank you so much for your work on "Sanford & Son." It's gotta be my favorite sitcom of all time!

charvel
03/09/2003, 03:56 PM
Very nice!!!:)

64Ivy
03/09/2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by BonsaiNut
Michael;

Congratulations on a great tank! I don't know which I like better - the fish room or the viewing room :) My wife went nuts over the cove ceiling -- I may have another job heading my way soon...

Two quick questions:

1) Can I get a highres version of the picture in your TOTM column - the one titled "reef at night"? I found it very striking and would love to use it as a wallpaper. I have a broadband connection so feel free to send me a big file at bonsainut@cox.net.

2) You mentioned when you first started that you had a couple of complete tear-downs before you "did it right" and got to your current level of success. What were the major changes between the earlier and later versions? What change made the most significant impact (in your opinion)?

Thanks again! Great tank for me to look up to :)

1) Image sent. Let me know if there were any problems.

2) The first tear down was to rid the tank of Mantis Shrimp. Turned out to be three of them (and this was supposedly cured rock). The second tear down was totally my fault in that I ignored a 'little' Valonia problem before leaving on an extended business trip. By the time I returned, the tank was inundated; there was so much of it that the tank was actually kind of pretty. But since I wanted some other things and the Valonia market was somewhat depressed at the time, I had to tear it down again. This time a little bout of discouragement kept me from starting again for several months. Fortunately, I kept the rock alive during this period. They're weren't any real changes between set-ups however. The changes came afterward and the biggest of these was the way in which I recieved much of my information about the hobby: From books to boards. I'll still jump on almost any decent reef book published for reference, but I love the immediacy of information I can glean from places like Reef Central. The advice, the tips, the ability to read from the experiences of TWENTY THOUSAND instead of just one or two authors, made all the difference in the world.

For instance, had RC been around then, I might have known that about a hundred or so Emerald Crabs could've've saved me from having to pull out and scrub nearly a &^#&#* ton of #*&@^$% live rock!!! :mad2:

64Ivy
03/09/2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by cratylus
Michael, I love the tank and also the dedicated maintenance room. Just spectacular! In planning my own large reef aquarium, I'll keep yours in mind for information and inspiration. I think what I like best about yours is how you've been successful with 250W MH in a 36" deep tank. It shoots down all those supposed know-it-alls who claim you need 400W or 1000W MH for tanks deeper than 30". Anytime someone is successful while going against current wisdom, I like it! :thumbsup:

Note however that I do not place any of my so-called "sps" corals any lower than the top half of the...er, light column. Had I wanted an entirely "sps" tank of this size, I definitely would've had to go with the 'know-it-alls'. ;)

JasonE
03/09/2003, 05:58 PM
Michael...Rock on!!!
Totally, absolutely, congratulations...

Project Reef
03/11/2003, 01:14 AM
Congrats. Amazing set up.

I just think you need to add some more clams. As Jason said, Rock on.

Rick Davis
03/11/2003, 03:11 PM
That is so cool that we have a former Hollywood sitcom producer who is also a reef addict. Ok I gotta ask, what are your favorite TV sitcoms today (if any)?

Oh, BTW great tank & congrats - very deserving. I visit your website alot for both information and entertainment value. And I also like bare bottoms, but that is another story.

Now about the Heniochus as an aiptasia remedy. I was considering adding an "aiptasiavore" to my 60 gallon that wouldn't also take out the worm population. I know the CBB will probably decimate the worms so I was thinking of a Heni and remembered you had one for aiptasia control for awhile. Did your Heni start showing an interest in fanworms, spaghetti worms, other inverts or corals?
Thanks again.

reeferaddict
03/11/2003, 03:32 PM
I want to know about the Heniochus as well:D

I bet your favorite thing on t.v. now are all the reality shows :blown: lol

64Ivy
03/11/2003, 03:50 PM
I removed the Heniochus about two months ago. It did a very good job on the Aiptasia then started working on my Yellow Polyps. This, combined with nearly everyone I knew predicting doom and gloom for my corals, caused me to pass it on to an Aiptasia laden accquaintance with a FO tank. Currently, I have set up a quarantene tank and am awaiting the arrival of a Copperband Butterfly.

My current list of TV favorites are as follows: Sports, Judge Judy, Spongebob Squarepants and Fairly Oddparents.

K. Lee
03/12/2003, 03:17 AM
Awesome tank! :thumbsup:

karl wagner
03/12/2003, 02:58 PM
I never laughed out loud reading a tank website before. very enjoyable and Well-written. Once this reality tv craze is over, I look forward to your coming out of retirement and doing some tv writing again.

Oh and the tank looks great too, but you already know that. Funny thing is I've run into you a few times in stores too, where store people told me you were a "heavy hitter." Now I know just what that means... they weren't lying.

Nanook
03/13/2003, 09:52 AM
Beautiful and Inspiring Tank Michael!!!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Congrats and many years of healthy livestock for you!

Nanook;)

reefskpr
03/13/2003, 09:58 AM
congrats michael!

and like everyone else, yada-yada...you have an awesome tank!

after going through your entire website, i was inspired to search through my whole house trying to figure out where i can fit an in-wall tank like yours, and my wife to tell me, once again, that i was "crazy".

alas, no luck

...yet. maybe someday! :D

Nanook
03/13/2003, 10:01 AM
keep trying reefskpr...you never know what the tide will bring in tomorrow.

Always look on the bright side of life...whistling......Always look on the bright side of life....Nanook:D

reefskpr
03/13/2003, 11:44 AM
thanks nanook!

actually, i found perfect spot, but the hard part is convincing my wife to let me tear a wall apart, re-route a drain pipe, and take over 25%, (remembering how 64Ivy complained of a cramped equipment room) make that 50% of the garage for the tank and utility room! :crazy1:

Garry thomas
03/14/2003, 04:24 AM
Awesome tank, i'd like to be there one day. Perhap MMmmmm.
You must be well commited. 250's over 36 inchs that is a break from the norm. Good luck in the future, although i think it would be hard to improve on that.
Garry thomas.

:rollface:

ReefRaf
03/14/2003, 03:56 PM
Michael,

Superb setup. I'd like to hear more on how that night shot was done!! And a high res would also be great if you don't mind! Brad@islandreef.ca Thanks!

melev
03/14/2003, 04:39 PM
I'd like one too! :D melev@swbell.net

mjaffe
03/14/2003, 06:42 PM
Michael...maybe we should put a screen saver section on the Website?....
Marc

(Designer) www.moyesreef.com
www.marcjaffe.com
www.movingtrees.com

64Ivy
03/14/2003, 08:51 PM
ReefRaf and melev: I am traveling by auto to Los Angeles right now and consequently on dial up so you'll have to give me a couple days...unless Marc can set up the screen saver section. Either way, it shouldn't be a problem.

"Night Reef" was shot with a tripod mounted Canon D60 and EF16-35 mm lens set at 16mm. With the 1.6X magnification, the effective focal length was about 24mm. The tank was lit by 4 160W VHO actinics and the camera's white point was set to custom. Aperture was f16, shutter speed was 1/15, the ISO was set to 100 and the wavemaker returns were left ON. No filters were used and minimal 'Levels' and 'Saturation' adjustments were made in Photoshop.

Peabody
03/15/2003, 09:34 PM
AMAZING tank! I really enjoyed the feature.

May I ask where you got your maxima? That has to be the single nicest Maxima I have ever seen! :D

mjaffe
03/19/2003, 07:09 AM
Howdy all...moyesreef.com was down on Tuesday...we had to move servers due to the massive traffic you guys generated...It is back up in case you missed it.

www.moyesreef.com

Thanx
Marc

3_high_low
03/19/2003, 12:27 PM
64Ivy,

Here's your chance to sell some advertisement space on your website:D.......15,599 visits!

mjaffe
03/19/2003, 12:41 PM
The Traffic has been great...We had almost 6000 visits to the home page since March 1st, Being Tank of the Month doesn't hurt...Nice Job Michael...

Marc

K. Lee
03/19/2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by mjaffe
The Traffic has been great...We had almost 6000 visits to the home page since March 1st, Being Tank of the Month doesn't hurt...Nice Job Michael...

Marc

That was me. :p

spsfreak
03/19/2003, 12:50 PM
Michael,
I have always enjoyed your tank....well deserved!:smokin:

BonsaiNut
03/21/2003, 11:03 AM
Michael;

I have to ask you about the objects hanging to the right of your reef tank in the viewing room. They look like two war clubs(?) I told my wife that one was probably for your wife and the other was for your kids. She said no, that they were both for you. One was for when you were bad, and the other was for when you were very very good :)

I had to laugh :)