PDA

View Full Version : FOWLR Converting To Fish Only - Help Please!

goldfishbowl
03/14/2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Guys,

I have an establish FOWLR around 250 gallons, including the sump. I have a great deal of mechanical filtration - over spec skimmer, nitrate reactor, rowphos and carbon reactor. I use a large amount callerpa (sorry for the spelling their) as well as having some 30 plus litres of bacto balls which I rinse with fresh RO, to kill off any nasties.

Now currently, its a FOWLR tank with around 70 kilos or more of live mature rock. What I want to do, is to create more room for the fish, my converting it to a fish only tank.

Here are my questions;

1 - what is the best way of converting from a FOWLR to a FO, in terms of removing the rock?

2 - we still have shrimp and some soft corals; what about decoration. What is best for me to use and what do you use for decoration for a FO tank?

3 - looking at what I use for filtration (I have 1 top end Tunze pump and the one below that for circulation) is there anything that you feel I would need in terms of bolstering the filtration of the water.

4 - Does anyone have any ideas on books, pictures perhaps on what a good Fish only tank should have.

Essentially the purpose in doing this, is to create room for the occupants. The best way of me doing that is to remove the live rock and replace it with an alternative. Here's my final question;

5 - This may seem like a stupid question, but what do you use in place of live rock for a FO Tank?

Thanks for your advice guys,

Stu

j tavares
03/14/2009, 04:20 PM
Reconsider not getting rid of all the rock years of experience show that the fish remain healthier in a Live rock environment. Trust me I tried various methods over 25 years the Live rock performs many biological finctions and aesthetically it is what the fish and you will apppreciate over time.

WuHT
03/14/2009, 04:42 PM
The thing is the rock gives them places to HIDE when scared. Otherwise, if you really want a bare tank ..put the rocks at least in your sump

saltyguy51
03/14/2009, 05:55 PM
I ran a fo tank with only some rock (lava, base rock) in the middle of a 150 gallon tank for the same reason. There was enough rock for them (9 fish including eel) to go behind and through the rocks and worked well for the 2+ years it was set up and had no problems. With todays equipment I dont see any reason that a person cant do it the way you are and have good success

ladyshark
03/14/2009, 07:56 PM
Some fish graze on the live rock. And, for those of us with wet dry filters, the live rock really makes a difference with keeping nitrates down. This with the ammonia and nitrite control from the wet dry makes for good stability.

sunfishh
03/15/2009, 03:15 PM
I agree with WuHT. Put atleast some of your rock in your sump.