PDA

View Full Version : Disease ID? Assistance Please. Batfish related

r0cksteady
03/14/2009, 10:20 PM
Hi All,

This is something Ive seen my batfish with once before but it disappeared after a day or so and as its come back again and nobody else in the tank is showing these symptoms im just wondering if you could help me ID it.

To explain the appearance its like there are micro bubbles all over the batfish including his eyes. It hasn't effected his appetite but he does seem a little more lethargic. Breathing is normal and still approaches me if he thinks im going to feed.

Thoughts?

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/r0cksteady_scarlett/_IGP4687.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/r0cksteady_scarlett/_IGP4688.jpg

r0cksteady
03/14/2009, 10:30 PM
Actually ive just realised my bicolor blenny is also showing similar signs but not the same. He has been eating etc but is a lot less active than normal and his body is rather than covered in small bubbles instead is covered in much larger sort of white\felt like marks.

Ich? Marine Velvet? Any help would be appreciated. Im flipping through books and it could be a couple of things according to the description.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/r0cksteady_scarlett/sickblenny.jpg

r0cksteady
03/15/2009, 02:41 AM
Also note both the batfish and the bi-color blenny's eyes seem more swollen than is normal.

r0cksteady
03/15/2009, 05:25 AM
I think ive ID the disease as whitespot\ich

jmaneyapanda
03/15/2009, 12:20 PM
That looks like brookynella to me. Far more dangerous than ick. ALso, please look into care for pinnatus batfish- they do not ahve a tvery good survival record.

r0cksteady
03/15/2009, 04:35 PM
Ive had the batfish for 2+ years so he falls under the positive side of the survival record. Will look into the brookynella thanks.

mikko
03/15/2009, 07:39 PM
ich i think, my batfish is prone to ich.. nice pinnatus batfish, what do your batfish eat?

r0cksteady
03/15/2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah its not 'brookynella' I double checked the description and they are nothing alike.

He literally eats anything. He loves chunky bits of meaty seafood and he loves large pellets. I do a DIY seafood mix for my fix.

lesleybird
03/16/2009, 01:44 AM
You have ich alright but do you have another tank to put all your fish into for the next 5 weeks to get the ich out of your tank? You cannot treat them in there. Sorry for your fish. Lesley

r0cksteady
03/16/2009, 02:33 AM
Nope I just dropped my salinity to 1.023 when it happened and they are both visibly improved. Thankfully they are still eating and its now the 3rd day. Im pretty sure if it is Ich that my batfish has had it for years now because I had never been able to get a pic of him with it as every time I noticed it the symptoms had disappeared the next day.

The blenny was a new one but I did recently move all the fish into an upgraded 6ft tank so it may have just been the stress of the move. Nothing new had been added to the tank for at least 6 months or more bar a few corals.

jmaneyapanda
03/16/2009, 12:20 PM
I think I mistook the cirri on the blenny for sloughing tissue. That is why I suggested brook.