PDA

View Full Version : Bulb color and cyano

JustinReef
03/15/2009, 11:43 AM
Is there any link between the two?

I know the main cause for the bacteria is generally going to be high nutrients or recently the carbon dosing fad has caused more people to experience cyano but does bulb spectrum effect it at all?

The reason I ask is that I run ZEO and in my last tank, experienced a lot of cyano while starting the system up. I most likely overdosed ZEO and fed the wrong bacteria.

In my new and bigger system I have never had cyano (knock on wood). Its impossible for me to pin point one reason for this because I have made way too many big changes but I am curious about whether the bulb choice (20K) may have been a factor.

Thanks!

chercm
03/15/2009, 03:57 PM
in my situation, the cyano seems to come out from my sand bed . i have since removed it and running bare bottom now .

much more easier to maintain now

ehren78
03/15/2009, 07:00 PM
my problem with the STD "Cyanobacteria" was from not doing my regular water changes, and poor lighting may have contributed. or simply not dipping your corals you purchase "the frag tile might be infected" LR...etc

JustinReef
03/15/2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys.

Ya mine was from overdosing ZEO.

I am just curious if bulb color has anything to do with it. Someone told me 20K won't grow as much cyano. Wasn't sure if thats true though...I am leaning towards it being untrue though ;)

mat167
03/15/2009, 09:36 PM
I don't believe the actual bulb colour rating can be a cause, but you do want to watch out for old bulbs. As the bulbs age, the spectrum changes and that might be something to look into. IME, going from 20 000k HQI to 14 000k and 10 000k Moguls, I've never noticed a difference.

As for the 20 000k bulbs not causing AS MUCH cyano., there might be some element of truth but I'm skeptical as to the extent. From what I've gathered, 20 000k bulbs tend to have lower PAR values when compared to lower temperature bulbs, so most any photosynthetic animal will tend to grow less. In that respect I think it will make a slight difference, but again, I doubt it's enough to completely deter the growth of cyano, which really only needs minimal light to survive and thrive. It would be an interesting topic for a research paper, but for the time being I don't think it's a realistic area for concern. I'd stick to tried and true methods of control and prevention for now: good water conditions, and if the need to eradicate some cyano comes up, a few days of darkness do wonders.

So in your case, after a bunch of rather large changes to the system, I'm pretty sure the bulb choice had a very minimal (if any) effect.

PS. How are you liking the XM 20 000k? I've been thinking of trying some. Right now I have Hamilton bulbs and I'm just not really satisfied with the output.