PDA

View Full Version : Product called CORAL SNOW

cslabrecque
03/15/2009, 12:45 PM
I recently have had problems with calcium and alk i would get the two where they should be and the next day back to nothing keeping in mind that the ph stays around 8.2-8.3. I spoke with the lfs and said that my magnesium is at 150ppm this was after they had tested for it of course. I didnt relize that mg plays a vital role in how both cal and alk will react. so any ways i was recommended the product coral snow i was told with this i would not have to add magnesium because it contains it also it helps to equalize every thing else. My question is will this product do this and also is it comparable to purple up. also i run a filter sock and im wondering if the sock will remove what i add to the tank or if it does collect in the sock and acts as a buffer.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/15/2009, 12:58 PM
Well, any respect I had for zeovit just disappeared as I searched out the Coral Snow product.

They are the latest in a bandwagon of folks hawking what I consider a bogus product consisting of fine sand. How disappointing. :(

I discuss such products here:

Calcium Carbonate as a Supplement
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2002/chem.htm

150 ppm? That cannot be correct for magnesium. It is usually 1000-1500 ppm. I;'d get a better magnesium value before proceeding. :)

glassbox-design
03/15/2009, 02:18 PM
@cslabrecque, @Randy,

Korallen Zucht's Coral Snow (http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/cs.JPG) is a mineral flocculant to clear the water. It does not supplement any levels of calcium, alkalinity, or magnesium. Perhaps this is a different product?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/15/2009, 03:13 PM
OK, perhaps I misunderstood the intent and/or description.

It says:

" Coral Snow contains among others a natural Calcium-Magnesium Carbonate mix. With just 2.5ยต Coral Snow has an optimal size for absorption by SPS corals."

I interpreted that to mean it has 2.5 micron aragonite, and that it was claiming to add some calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity, but perhaps I misunderstood what it is, or what it is intended to accomplish.

The OP seemed to be being told by the LFS that is was adding these ions.

cslabrecque
03/15/2009, 03:58 PM
i found a site zeovit.com and there is a guide about this stuff but still i cant find any actual info stating that it will raise calcium and magnesium. the person at the lfs is a chemist so she must know something at least i hope but either way i bought the stuff so i will get to find out if its good or not

cwegescheide
03/15/2009, 06:10 PM
I use Zeovit Pohls Coral Snow and its supposed to be used to neutralize acids / break down organics in the tank. its a liquid chalky looking substance that will cloud the tank for a bit when put in. After the tank clears the water is VERY clear. Supposedly it will help clear up cyano as well. If you wanted to learn more info on it I'd go to zeovit.com and browse the threads in the general information forum.

Chris

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/16/2009, 04:51 AM
Thanks. I saw that in the description. Here's the full description that I was citing from, which doesn't really clarify anything about what it is or what it is claiming with respect to supplementing calcium or magnesium:

Product Description
For small polyp and large polyp stony corals, soft corals and clams as well as problem solving/solution in a salt water tank.

Coral Snow is a liquid secondary biological facilitator for elements like B-Balance or Potassium-Iodide/Fluoride Concentrate. Compatible with all elements, also for Amino Acid and Coral Vitalizer. Coral Snow contains among others a natural Calcium-Magnesium Carbonate mix. With just 2.5 microns Coral Snow has an optimal size for absorption by SPS corals.
We dose Coral Snow daily with one or more elements,mixed and after about 5 min,pour slowly into the stream of the tank.

You can dose 1-4 ml Coral Snow per 100L/25gallons tank water daily.

Coral Snow neutralizes undesirable acids and is a solution against e.g. slime algae and cyano bacteria.
One recipe is to take Coral Snow and add 1 drop of ZEObak per 100L/25 gallons tank water each 2nd day.

*I personally dose with all my elements,every few days.Amino acids has a nice reaction with the coral snow:):)Amazing water clarity the next day also*

The cloudiness in the water is harmless for all fish as well as sensitive corals,and will dissipate quickly.