PDA

View Full Version : hermit crabs

rtaylors3
03/15/2009, 02:54 PM
I was wanting some hermit crabs but was worried they would damage my corals or even my snails. Is there any that would be safe to get? I read the scarlet hermit crab will eat slime algae?? Is that possible? Everywhere else said nothing will eat cyano.

jkrentz2515
03/15/2009, 02:56 PM
I personally have never witnessed my hermits eating anything but snails that can't flip themselves over.

Mopar Reefer
03/15/2009, 05:01 PM
+1

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14615906#post14615906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jkrentz2515
I personally have never witnessed my hermits eating anything but snails that can't flip themselves over.

kraze3
03/15/2009, 05:17 PM
I have never had a probelm with hermits either. They might walk across some zoas once in a while but dont harm anything.

eric@tampa
03/15/2009, 06:31 PM
Stick with red leg hermits-avoid blue legs jmo had too much trouble with the blue legs

rtaylors3
03/15/2009, 06:38 PM
any luck with them eating cyano? I guess if they were to cause any trouble they wouldn't be hard to catch

kraze3
03/15/2009, 06:51 PM
Ive never seen them eat cyano, but I havent had any in a while now. Ive heard of them occasionally picking GHA off of rocks but not all will.
You should be using a turkey baster to blast the cyano off the sand and use a toothbrush to brush it off the rocks. Try to move your PHs around to eliminate dead spots and you should be able to beat cyano in a couple weeks. How are your nitrates and phosphates?

rtaylors3
03/16/2009, 07:32 AM
I such just about all of it out at water changes and I move PH around about once a week. This stuff grown in the flow! I is growing on a rock that I have a kenys tree on and if the flow were any stronger it would be torn off the rock! I have almost undetectable phosphates and nitrates and I use RO water AND i only feed very little every other day. I only have 6 very small fish. I have read that this can be part of the new tank syndrome and it will eventually go away?? i have no other algae (i know cyano is a bacteria).

I basically just wanted some crabs to look at and read about the cyano thing and thought that would be a plus. Is 10 too many? That is how they are sold at Saltwater Fish.

Ms_Jerk
03/16/2009, 09:23 AM
I have hermits in my tank (red and blue leg) and both eat algae (nothing more)

bsmith22
03/16/2009, 09:35 AM
My hermits just pick at rock all day long. I have both red and blue. They have never bothered anything. If you add a few extra shells for them, they should leave the snails alone too.