PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this practice

Lmecher
03/15/2009, 06:55 PM
Anyone have any opinions on this?

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=3133&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

They are also carrying yellow and orange.
In the description it states "this is not naturally colored"

bencozzy
03/15/2009, 07:14 PM
Basically they kill the symbiotic algae and dye the nem. now over some time the nems will loose the artificial coloring and regain their good algae friends, but more often then not they die a horrible death, some of the dyes they use are toxic.

CaliReefer12
03/15/2009, 07:31 PM
yea, I was looking at that earlier. For acclimation all it says it temperature acclimate... They also have "white carpet anemones" for sale...

Lmecher
03/15/2009, 07:42 PM
I saw this and was horrified. I made the mistake of posting in one of their forums. Linkd to wetwebmedia.com have always been permissable but all of a sudden I was scolded and links removed. The entire thread was removed to a different forum(out of the anemone forum) I guess I hit a nerve.
I was flabergasted, I had so many responses that were positive. I guess I flipped a little. But come on, it is just irresponsible for them to be offering these for sale and promoting this practice. I am not backing down, they can ban me. My thread was moved to the ask swf.com forum. I posed my question hours ago and still no response. Can't wait to see what they say. I am making a call tomorrow. Thank you for your kind words and for at least justifying my position, I am grateful.

CaliReefer12
03/15/2009, 10:14 PM
Im glad at least someone is making an effort to do something about this. they will do whatever they can to make some money

Lmecher
03/15/2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah, but I have to give up, on the SWF forum, they will all gang up on you. It's rediculous. I guess over there, dyed anemones are a-o-k. They're explination was that they came in with an order unexpectedly and the responsible thing to do is to sell them, what a load. So for now I'm not going back. Gonna stick around here with the consciousous reefers.

reef321
03/15/2009, 11:42 PM
They also have white BTA's that they say are natural

Gig 'em
03/15/2009, 11:56 PM
they should definitely not be selling theses anemones. Purposely selling anemones that are in known horrible condition and claiming they're not is horrific business practice.

Lmecher
03/16/2009, 12:08 PM
I just checked the site, all of the dyed sebaes yellow, orange and pink have been removed from thier stock list. My thread concerning their selling dyed anemones have been removed also. How about that.

eeorrandy
03/16/2009, 01:21 PM
That's terrible. They just lost any future business from me. I don't see many anemones on their site that do look healthy, but selling dyed nem's is pathetic, even though they do acknowledge the unnatural color at the bottom. It's as bad as the tattoed fish.

reef321
03/16/2009, 04:22 PM
I was thinking of buying a BTA from them, but saw all there dyed anemones and sent them an email. They tried to explain to me how 'white' anemones are natural and healthy.

Gig 'em
03/16/2009, 04:27 PM
The only "white" anemones I've ever seen were in Alaska that were getting no sunlight. But in Alaska they didn't need to be photosynthetic with all the nutrients in the water. In the reefs they have to be photosynthetic to live with the nutrient poor water and zooxanthellae is Not white.

CaliReefer12
03/16/2009, 11:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14621956#post14621956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lmecher
I just checked the site, all of the dyed sebaes yellow, orange and pink have been removed from thier stock list. My thread concerning their selling dyed anemones have been removed also. How about that.

haha. very nice job. success! you may have saved some sebaes from being dyed and then ..dying... (no pun intended) :lol:

criccio
03/17/2009, 11:25 AM
You must have more pull then I do Linda, I warned people last year about those nems, good job... http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1410869

Lmecher
03/17/2009, 11:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14629811#post14629811 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by criccio
You must have more pull then I do Linda, I warned people last year about those nems, good job... http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1410869

:eek: I wish I'd have know that this was not an isolated incedent. The load of garbage they gave me about how they aquired them, could have called them out on that too. I don't think I have any pull LOL it was the negative publicity they were worried about. Oh and I posted a thread in one of their forums, got their attention. I wish I could let all of you here read what SWF members had to say, I took quite a beating. There were a few that were supportive but even they were tip toeing afraid of the mods. ReefCentral is a great community, I have met so many terrific knowledgabe people here, thanks for the link Chris.
How are the minis doing? My red mini has grown but not split yet, still waiting.
;)

criccio
03/17/2009, 11:53 AM
I posted on they're forum as well, but within someone else's thread... http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=323872

Glad the red is doing well. I had my first split the other day, now I just need to find the little suckers. Did my friend ever contact you?

wicked_NaCl_h2o
03/17/2009, 01:23 PM
They have been doing this for years. I bet in a couple of months you'll see the dyed anemones up for sale again. The best thing to do is to tell people not to buy them.

traveller7
03/17/2009, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14630693#post14630693 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wicked_NaCl_h2o
They have been doing this for years. I bet in a couple of months you'll see the dyed anemones up for sale again. The best thing to do is to tell people not to buy them. Agreed.

Consumer information is a great tool. Dyed specimens show up all the time at various stages of the retail chain.

Lmecher
03/17/2009, 03:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14630036#post14630036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by criccio
I posted on they're forum as well, but within someone else's thread... http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=323872

Glad the red is doing well. I had my first split the other day, now I just need to find the little suckers. Did my friend ever contact you?

I titled my thread "Look what SaltwaterFish.com is selling" think that got their attention? I am still suprised (in your thread) with all the negative remarks that were made the mods didn't chime in.

Glad to hear you had a split. Your friend did contact me, I am waiting to hear back. He may have changed his mind, what ever, not a problem.

Well, we all just have to keep our eyes open and allert the masses to unethical practices when we see them.

It is so nice to hear from so many consciousous reef keepers, you all deserve a pat on the back. :)

Sullyman
03/17/2009, 07:53 PM
I was wondering about the purple LTA at Atlantis, if it was natural or not?

marc price
03/17/2009, 11:50 PM
well, i'm aghast! thanks chris and thank you mentsh!

massman
03/18/2009, 01:02 AM
Whilst I also am against this practice, I have as a controlled experiment years ago dyed four specimens of h. malus by soaking them in food colouring. (fit for human consumption)
All absorbed the colour but eventually lost it returning to their normal cream/brown colour. (over about a 4 week period)
No adverse effects were noticed. In fact, I still have one of these anemones to this day (4 years later).

However, I must say that the colours were never as solid as those pictured.

wicked_NaCl_h2o
03/18/2009, 04:47 AM
Sorry to be a bit off subject. I tried to pm but Sullymans pm box is full.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14633817#post14633817 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sullyman
I was wondering about the purple LTA at Atlantis, if it was natural or not?

Purple is a natural color for M. Doreensis (LTA) . If you look at my avatar, that is my purple lta. An lta can even be red. < those are rarely found in the trade though.

elegance coral
03/18/2009, 06:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14635575#post14635575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by massman
Whilst I also am against this practice, I have as a controlled experiment years ago dyed four specimens of h. malus by soaking them in food colouring. (fit for human consumption)
All absorbed the colour but eventually lost it returning to their normal cream/brown colour. (over about a 4 week period)
No adverse effects were noticed. In fact, I still have one of these anemones to this day (4 years later).

However, I must say that the colours were never as solid as those pictured.

I assume that if your anemones were creamy brown that they were at least semi healthy when you did the experiment. Most of these anemones are freshly shipped, stressed, and bleached when they do the dye job. This probably explains why your anemones didn't show the same color as the ones offered for sale, and why yours did so much better with the recovery.

elegance coral
03/18/2009, 06:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14630796#post14630796 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by traveller7
Agreed.

Consumer information is a great tool. Dyed specimens show up all the time at various stages of the retail chain.

I honestly thought that this practice allong with cyanide poisoning, would have been completely abolished by now. :(

massman
03/18/2009, 07:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14640421#post14640421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by elegance coral
I assume that if your anemones were creamy brown that they were at least semi healthy when you did the experiment. Most of these anemones are freshly shipped, stressed, and bleached when they do the dye job. This probably explains why your anemones didn't show the same color as the ones offered for sale, and why yours did so much better with the recovery.

Yes mate they were healthy. The had only been collected a few hours earlier