PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop vs. Powerheads

thereefaquarist
03/15/2009, 09:05 PM
Im interested in what the pros and cons are of both CL systems and systems that use powerheads. I like the clean look of the CL but it seems like the tunzes push a lot more water for the amount of electricity they use. I think there are products that increase the output of CL systems but I have not tested them. If I went with a CL system I would most likely use an Oceans Motions 4 way.

das75
03/15/2009, 09:35 PM
Deciding factor for me to go CL was simply don't like the looks of PHs in the tank.

Can't see why I would ever add a PH but if I was, but looking for some way to hide then such as the
Tunze rock (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~TZ1551~idCategory~FIPHAC~category~Accessories-Powerheads-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html)

pb4ugoout
03/15/2009, 09:36 PM
I know that there is more potential for problems with a CL. Plumbing leaks, bulkhead leaks, etc...

I like the idea of a CL more tho

125G Reefer
03/15/2009, 10:34 PM
I like the PH, even though they are seen in the tank. CL cost more and are also noisier. Noise was the deciding factor for me.

waynem
03/15/2009, 11:11 PM
It will come down to your own preference.

CL

Con= leaks, noise, set-up, upgrade, changes. safety.

pro= hidden, current trend.

PH

Con= Can be seen, out of fashion for some reason.

Pro= Easy, upgrade, non leaking, adaptability, quite. safe

Demonic
03/16/2009, 01:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14619257#post14619257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waynem
It will come down to your own preference.

CL

Con= leaks, noise, set-up, upgrade, changes. safety.

PH

Con= Can be seen, out of fashion for some reason.

Pro= Easy, upgrade, non leaking, adaptability, quite. safe non leaking

Not true, I had a koralia leak voltage into my tank. Shocked the crap out of me all the time

waynem
03/16/2009, 01:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14619623#post14619623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Demonic
non leaking

Not true, I had a koralia leak voltage into my tank. Shocked the crap out of me all the time

non leaking.....Water.....

CL can and do leak, mostly just drops but little drops can be become

beside you can always go 12v or earth probe. But your point is right.

CL

Con= leaks, noise, set-up, upgrade, changes. safety.wattage used

PH

Con= Can be seen, out of fashion for some reason. Can add stray voltage points of failure. heat

Pro= Easy, upgrade, non leaking, adaptability, quite. safe. low volt, low watt

awesomefam
03/16/2009, 01:47 AM
I think if I was going to build an in-wall tank I would do CL but since that is not in the plans any time soon.

thereefaquarist
03/16/2009, 08:17 PM
I have a sump room behind the tank so noise is not a problem and Im pretty sure I can build something that doesnt leak, what really matters to me is which one uses more electricity. I need a good flow to wattage ratio. If I go closed loop there will be a good 4' of head pressure so I was thinking PH were more efficient but I would love to go CL if this is not the case

sjm817
03/16/2009, 08:33 PM
For electricity use there is no comparison. Modern prop powerheads will deliver a ton of flow with far less power consumption than closed loops.

thereefaquarist
03/16/2009, 08:49 PM
weird that no one brought that up in the pros and cons but I guess they dont live in CA.

scaryperson27
03/16/2009, 09:01 PM
I like closed loop due to the fact that it is hidden, but then you are stuck with somehting you may not want down the road. I like the fact that changing flow patterns with powerheads is as easy as making them face a different direction.

What if your corals grow out?

thereefaquarist
03/16/2009, 09:11 PM
how much of a difference would there be in the power consumption, and what CL pump would most efficiantly push enough water for a 280g SPS tank?

GSMguy
03/16/2009, 10:18 PM
Big difference you could use tunze or vortechs and have the whole tank rocking for around 100w or use CL use 300w and still struggle to turn get Enoch flow to the corals

Propeller type powerheads are far more efficent.