PDA

View Full Version : Ovipositor's showing but no egg laying

chi
03/16/2009, 10:41 AM
I've got a pair of perculas who had been spawing in my display tank. About two months ago, I moved them to a 10g breeder tank with the intentions of raising the fry.

On Friday evening the female finally lowered her ovipositor. From what I recall and read, I thought that egg laying usually commences within 24hrs. Well it's Monday morning now and she still hasn't laid any eggs. Since lowering the ovipositor, she's not eating as much either. Is this normal for her to go this long without laying eggs? Is there any harm to her or anything that I can do to assist her?

I'll try and capture a picture tonight if she still hasn't laid any eggs.

chi
03/16/2009, 06:18 PM
I'm getting more concerned. After looking at the pictures, I'm not sure it's the ovipositor anymore. Any thoughts? Please help.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/mi_reefer/clowns/femalef1withovipositor.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/mi_reefer/clowns/20090316_0217.jpg

FB
03/16/2009, 09:42 PM
That is not an oviposter. Not sure what will help it but I would bet that fish needs some medicine.

Maybe Billsreef will chime in!

FB

rkelman
03/17/2009, 06:37 PM
I agree. I think this is a problem. My guess is bacterial infection. I'll bet Billsreef would / will recommend Nitrofuran treatment.

chi
03/20/2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Seems strange that it would be an infection. She's a captive raised percula, from a pair of broodstock that I had a few years ago. I'll look into getting some nitrofuran. Would I need to treat the other broodstock as well that are plumbed on the same system?

rkelman
03/20/2009, 03:52 PM
Well if the system is plumbed together then I guess you have no choice.. Can you isolate her tank?

FMarini
03/20/2009, 07:16 PM
prolapsed rectum. Bactrerial infection for sure

chi
03/21/2009, 06:58 AM
Yes, the tank that she's in can be isolated from the other system. But since the concensus is that it's a bacterial infection, would I have to treat all the tanks? Or is the bacteria not readily transported to the other fishes?

Any suggestions as to where the bacteria would have come from? Could it be part of the frozen food mix that I am feeding (consists of raw shrimps, clams, oysters, mussels, squid, fish, etc...). Should I throw out the food and start with another batch? I'm concerned that even if I am sucessful in treating the fish, I may be continually inducing them with this bacteria.

Thanks for the input.

rkelman
03/21/2009, 07:50 AM
I would just treat the one tank. Bacteria is always present. This is probably a isolated case.

chi
05/26/2009, 10:29 AM
Update for all those who helped out.

After 4 weeks of quarantine and treatment. First 2 weeks with nitrofuran, followed with another 2 weeks of paprizine the problem has been corrected. Her innners are back inside and she's back to eating like the pig she is.

FB
05/26/2009, 02:49 PM
Good to hear!

rkelman
05/26/2009, 04:55 PM
Congrats I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for the update.