View Full Version : Fish glued mouth shut :( - Help

03/16/2009, 11:21 AM
I mounted a piece of coral today and my foxface decided to taste the super glue and glued him mouth shut. I wasn't sure he did so I throw some food in and yep he can't eat.

Any ideas

03/16/2009, 11:36 AM
Hahaha, that's sad but funny... wow...

Your best bet is just to pry it out slowly. In and out of the water multiple times can cause a lot of stress.

I wouldn't use any chemicals.

Maybe in a couple days he will pry it out himself. He may day from starvation.

How deep did the glue travel? Hopefully it's not in his system.

03/16/2009, 12:24 PM
I think it's just on his lips, he seems to be breathing ok just can't eat. I'll give him till wednesday to get it off himself and then I'll try to catch him and see what I can do. That is a long with not getting stung.

03/16/2009, 03:21 PM
Be careful when you pry it out though, it may damage the mouth, jaw and any teeth that remains :P

Do you have any cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp? They should eat those or some how deliver. They may not like the taste of superglue.

Next time you can try some fish flavored superglue :D

As I mentioned before, avoid chemicals if possible.
Use a rubber/latext glove when you handle the fish. Your skin may cause the fish's skin to react.

03/16/2009, 05:45 PM
Well if you can this is what I recomend: 1. Overnight ship (so the fish wont starve) a scaple and fish tranqulizer 2. use the tranq. to knock out the fish and put it in a shallow pan so it has room to breathe but it lays on its side and you can easily see the glue and use the scapel to CAREFULLY cut the glue to open the mouth (if you want to try this suggestion and want to get this stuff you might want to get "Biobandge" which you can apply to his lips [ cause there bound to get cut] )