PDA

View Full Version : nikon macro lens

Kreeger1
03/16/2009, 11:23 AM
Looking to take some macro shots with my recently purchased d40. Could you guys help me choose the right macro lens for the job.
thanks
Erik

surge19us
03/16/2009, 01:40 PM
The lens for a Nikon most people use is the Nikkor 105mm f2.8 micro.

Kreeger1
03/16/2009, 02:03 PM
Looks like its time to save some cash :)

nickb
03/16/2009, 03:06 PM
If you are willing to go 'third party', there are excellent macro lens from Tamron (90mm), Tokina (100mm) and Sigma (105mm). These are all a lot cheaper then the Nikon 105mm VR but will provide images which are just as good. They don't have VR (which isn't useful for macros anyway), extend when you focus to the 1:1 macro range (which the Nikon doesn't do) and aren't 'Nikon'. The latest version of the Tamron will AF on the D40 but, most macro work is MF not AF so that's only a limitation if you plan to use the lens for portraits or general telephoto work.

If you do a search in this forum, you'll find more information and photos.

xtm
03/16/2009, 06:55 PM
+1 and 2 on the above replies. If you have cash and you handhold most of your shots then the 105mm VR micro-Nikkor is great. However if you want to save some cash, you might also want to consider the older 105mm micro-Nikkor which cost less than half but optically just as good. The only difference is it doesn't have VR and will only manual-focus on your D40. (If you have a tripod you don't need these two features).

The 90mm Tamron Macro is a solid perfomer also... again, a solid tripod is a necessity here.

dendronepthya
03/16/2009, 07:06 PM
+1
VR and autofocus are two features that are pretty unnecessary on a macro lens. Tripods on the other hand are pretty much required.

waxy
03/17/2009, 02:40 PM
+1

VR is useless for Macro. I'm using the 105 Nikkor VR Micro, it's awesome.

Even if you try to shoot it by hand, camera on a timer... it's still not going to turn out the way you want it to.

The slightest movement will cause a blurr. When I shoot fish it looks great.

Don't get me wrong, though VR is good. I personally don't utilize it.

Lunchbucket
03/17/2009, 09:51 PM
Glad I'm checking out this post. Just got my D40 and thought about macro too. I'm gonna check these lenses out

Thanks!

imcosmokramer
03/17/2009, 11:05 PM
Erik, a comparable Sigma will do a similar job for about half the cost. It's a matter of choice in that the Nikkor is a better lens, but would you really see the difference...

I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash for the avg hobbyist. Although it's really nice :D

waxy
03/23/2009, 02:33 PM
Maybe you should rent a few and see which you would rather live with.

But then again, renting each of them for a week is average 40+.

Renting 6 to try out is a grip. That could have been used towards your new lens!

That's what I was planning to do until I said screw it man SCREW IT!

I'M taking the PLUNDGE!!!!

RAWR!!!