PDA

View Full Version : What highly sociable octopus to get?

CoRPS
03/16/2009, 11:40 AM
What is a good, highly sociable octopus to keep. With your recommendation, what size tank does it require? I know that octopus need a tight fitting lid, but doesn't that effect the pH of the water? What kind of tightly fitting lid can you get for your tank? Something similar to what they put on top of snake cages? Those metal screens? Let me know what you think.

ctenophors rule
03/16/2009, 05:14 PM
metal screens are dangerous because they can rust, and you dont want rust in your tank.

the ph will be affected , but if you use a drilled tank with a built in overflow, that will negate the effects, because you can get all your gas exchange done in the sump.

hth

Animal Mother
03/17/2009, 09:10 AM
Window screen works fine. You want a 55 gallon or larger for an interactive species. The bigger the tank the better, as more room to move about and more space to swim and climb and you will see more variety of behavior.

Abdopus aculeatus, Octopus briareus, Octopus hummelincki come to mind.

Coyle
03/28/2009, 05:22 PM
animal mother, do any of the above species have a longer life span on average? I am interested in trying an octo, but there short life span makes it less appealing to me.