PDA

View Full Version : Which controller?

Demonic
03/16/2009, 02:38 PM
So I cant decide on which controller to get. I have been looking at the RK lite 3. But cant pull the trigger. I am building a 180 with 75 sump. 3 X 250, VHO supps, Dart closed loop, not sure on return with sprayer bars, MRC MR-3R skimmer. I have a computer that will be dedicated to this system and wouldnt mind mounting the 19" monitor next to the system somewhere. Is this enough to get some opinions. Price range around 3 - 4 hundred. I could always get it used. And I could always just tell the wife it cost 3 - 4 hundred too, LOL.

Demonic
03/16/2009, 07:00 PM
Someone with an opinion. Well educated one preferably....

scaryperson27
03/16/2009, 08:54 PM
I like the options of the ReefKeeper Elite.

mojo~
03/16/2009, 09:55 PM
I have the reefkeeper lite lvl 3. I actually really like it. I have it running my 6 t5ho's , my heater, skimmer, return pump, and dosing pumps. There are more features than I thought I had to begin with. THe instructions need a little work but thats why I called them and they walked me though step by step on setting up the timers for my dosing. The lvl 3 is by far the best bang for the buck out of them all. Although the Lite does not have the net module option so that would not work for what you want. You would want the elite.

TheBoogieMan
03/16/2009, 09:57 PM
i say profilux

Demonic
03/16/2009, 10:24 PM
Is there anything cheaper than the Elite that can be run hooked up to the computer? I do like the RK lite 3 though. I might just get the basic RK elite though. I will check on the profilux. Havent heard to much to of that one.

chippy70
03/16/2009, 11:40 PM
Profilux is the ducks guts in controllers, youy name and I bet it can do it.
pricy but you get what you pay for, just like averything in this hobbie.
I have the pro II EX and would not have a system with one.

Roger

ReefRockerLive
03/16/2009, 11:47 PM
I second the Profilux. It is the best controller out there that does a whole lot to begin with. The company GHL has many more features in store for 09 that other controller companies have not even mentioned in making. In simple terms, if you want a controller that does not have bugs and just keeps getting better, Profilux is the answer.

"You get what you pay for"

NeveSSL
03/16/2009, 11:58 PM
Aquatronica is, IMO, in the same boat as Profilux. Both are great controllers with MANY features and good reputations. Granted, Aquatronica has had a few problems (that I've experienced personally), but they have taken care of me for free (even being out of warranty) and have since eradicated the issues.

Great stuff! But they are a bit expensive. I was lucky and found one used for $400. :)

Brandon

Demonic
03/17/2009, 12:25 AM
Those are both great controllers but a little out of my price range. I am thinking of just getting the RKE basic unit for now and just upgrade as I go. Does anyone know if I order the RKE from Digital Aquatics, would it be version 1 or 2?

clownnrnd
03/17/2009, 12:41 AM
You should look into the lighthouse controllers. The basic model was going really cheep right now I think and the pro is a great value. I am using both but do not have a wireless network for my computer so I cannot take advantage of the control functions via the web.....someday I'll get a router

Chad

Demonic
03/17/2009, 12:53 AM
Lighthouse is a little too basic. And I need something that is a little easier on the eyes. Looking for a sleek design along with endless possibilities.

NeveSSL
03/17/2009, 10:55 AM
If you're looking for a sleek design with endless possibilities in the $400 price range, I think you're looking in the right direction with the RK Elite.

And I agree... the LightHouse seems to work great for some people, but it looks rather old and is fairly basic in its functions overall.

Brandon

an411
03/17/2009, 11:29 AM
I agree that prolifux is a great controller but a little out of my price range. I guess it depends on what you are looking for to me the reef keeper elite was great it had dedicated timers on each outlet the pc4 which are 4 outlet power strip are only 90 bucks compared to the 200 that profilux charges. Has all the alrams that I need. The 2 things that i am a little disappointed with is no dosing pump modules and no tunze controller. Hopefully over time this will be an option seeing that this controller is fairly new I am in no means bashing profilux if you got the money to spend and it has the additional features that you want by all means spend spend spend.

NeveSSL
03/17/2009, 11:31 AM
If you can wait for a used one, Aquatronica has dosing pumps and has a Koralia controller that is already out and a Tunze controller on the way. :)

Brandon