PDA

View Full Version : Free Mantis Shrimp

tylersdad
03/17/2009, 05:12 AM
I was at work today and a friend of mine call and said, "hey man, we got some cool shrimp out of the ocean, do you want them?" So I said yes and asked them to drop them off at my house with my wife. I was concerned that a few hours of floating in a Gatoraide bottle in my tank may kill them so I thought about calling my wife and having her release them. Thank go I didn't. They are 3 mantis shrimp about 3 1/2" each. Anyone have a use for them? I wanna take them outside and step on them but I will probably take them back to the ocean if nobody wants them.

2t2_crash
03/17/2009, 08:04 AM
lol, throw em in the sump or on the grill

Lionel
03/17/2009, 08:28 AM
get rid of those bastards before they get rid of you :D

dkermitb
03/18/2009, 06:34 AM
As a word of warning, don't handle these guys with your bare hands. According to the link below, they can put a hole in your aquarium glass, let alone your hand. By the way, there are some cool videos of mantis shrimp doing their dirty work on YouTube.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/aprilholladay/2006-01-09-shrimp_x.htm

Patrick12
03/19/2009, 06:10 AM
Please just euthanize them. They really are pests and there are more than enough of them already.

I too was always fearful of the their potential to inflict injury. I really think they have to be large as I have handled the smaller ones....3-4 inches and less with my bare hands (just had to out of curiosity and handling them with gloves first) , had them smash me....and while they pack a little wallop for their size, they do not hurt or cause any injury. Now the mantis that spear fish and grow to 12 inches or better.....those janks may be a totally different story.

All in all, they eat things we don't want eaten...in our tanks or on the reef....so just kill them.....please.