PDA

View Full Version : Coral Mounting Question

yzfr6
03/17/2009, 01:16 PM
What is the best products to use to adhere coral to live rocks, I have heard of using epoxy glue, etc. Wanted to know what everyone else was using. Thanks

Sugar Magnolia
03/17/2009, 01:23 PM
Cyanoacrylate gel. Brand names would be superglue gel, loctite.

returnofsid
03/17/2009, 01:30 PM
Gel Superglue works awesome, with SPS, Zoanthids and most LPS. Doesn't work well for Soft corals at all though. Soft corals need to be treated a totally different way. Usually, I poke a toothpick through them and then into a hole in my live rock. Other times, you can use wedding veil to "net" them to a piece of rubble. You can also use nylon thread to "sew" them to rock. Another option is to put them in a small tupperware or even a shot glass with some sand or rubble in the bottom of it. This will protect them from flow long enough for them to attach to the sand or rubble.

Fizz71
03/17/2009, 01:43 PM
Superglue Gel in the tank for sps, out of the tank for zoas.

Leathers and xenia I've used toothpicks and rubberbands and kept them in a low flow area untl they attach to a small rock, then move the rock.

Shrooms and rics I stick in a plastic cup (in the tank) with rubble until they attach to it, then reloacte. You can cut the bottom of the cup and "screw it" into the sand, layer with rubble and put the shrooms on top.

tims28gnano
03/17/2009, 04:51 PM
+1 for fizz

check youtube, you can find guys that do it right in front of you!

drparker
03/17/2009, 09:40 PM
Super glue to plug. Reef epoxy plug to rock work.

imcosmokramer
03/17/2009, 10:27 PM
some people glue the frag to a small piece of rock, then epoxy the rock in the desired spot. If you attach the epoxy directly to sps, it can burn the coral.