PDA

View Full Version : Best way to take actinic shots?

ReefHawke
03/17/2009, 07:31 PM
Looking for tips on best way to take actinic shots?

imcosmokramer
03/17/2009, 11:02 PM
what are you having problems with?

TitusvileSurfer
03/18/2009, 01:04 AM
Shoot RAW. That is all there is to say. Case closed. :)

ghandidawgg
04/11/2009, 10:30 PM
what does shooting RAW mean? sorry new at this...

TitusvileSurfer
04/11/2009, 11:00 PM
RAW is a file format like .TIFF or .JPEG. RAW is a broad term, each manufacture uses their own "RAW" file. It hasn't been standardized yet. Some manufacturers even have multiple versions of RAW. Canon's premier version is .CR2, Nikon's is .NEF, but the principle is the same.

The RAW file is just that...raw...uncut...uncensored. The camera saves the image exactly as it captures it without throwing away the excess to preserve space on the memory card. This makes the image MUCH easier to edit and white balance is an absolute breeze. As cheap as memory is, there is no excuse not to shoot RAW unless your camera simply doesn't have the capability. If your camera doesn't have the capability...it is time to upgrade to one that does (for reefs).

His images were blue under the actinics. This is because his white balance was not correct. With RAW the camera saves every white balance combination instead of picking one and throwing the rest away. He was likely shooting .JPEG and his camera was picking the wrong white balance, throwing the correct one away.

Nikon
04/11/2009, 11:35 PM
Also you get greater spectrum of color and detail, but was that your problem?

ghandidawgg
04/12/2009, 03:33 AM
I have a basic sony digital cam, powershot I use it for taking family pics mainly, recently started using it for my reef tank and did notice the pics coming out blue. so if my cam doesn't shoot raw, can I manually adjust the white balance before taking the pic? what cam is recomended for taking pics of my reef, my family and anything else I would like to take a pic of, without being bulky at the same time?

TitusvileSurfer
04/12/2009, 06:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14809672#post14809672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ghandidawgg
I have a basic sony digital cam, powershot
Sony=Cybershot
Canon=Powershot
Not that it really matters, just saying.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14809672#post14809672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ghandidawgg

I use it for taking family pics mainly, recently started using it for my reef tank and did notice the pics coming out blue. so if my cam doesn't shoot raw, can I manually adjust the white balance before taking the pic?
You might be able to adjust the white balance before you shoot, or more likely it is completely automated and you have little say in the matter.
what cam is recomended for taking pics of my reef, my family and anything else I would like to take a pic of, without being bulky at the same time?

My two favorite point and shoots on the market right now are the Canon G10 and Panasonic LX3. The G10 is probably better for your reef, but it is a lot bulkier than the LX3.

ghandidawgg
04/12/2009, 02:58 PM
yea u r right... it is a sony cyber shot 7.2 megapixel.
I will look into the other 2 cams u recommended.

ReefHawke
04/13/2009, 02:44 PM
Guess its just not possible to get the "Glow" we see though. Thx for all the input!!

TitusvileSurfer
04/13/2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, there is, shoot RAW.