PDA

View Full Version : Moving!

jbird0420
03/17/2009, 07:40 PM
Has anyone ever moved a large tank or 2 across the country with livestock? Thinking about moving both my 225 and 90g tanks to Houston in a few months. I got some ideas.....But interested in hearing who has done it and how???

Thanks!

Crawf71
03/17/2009, 07:54 PM
Its rough. I moved 4 hours away with two small and one large tanks and I don't think Ill ever do it again. Mind you, it was in the middle of winter with temps below 30.

With the small ones, all I did basically fit everything into a couple of coolers. The large one took mutiple containers. I went to the LFS and got some of them bags they use to sell livestock in. I put all my delicate corals in them bags for transit. Water and fish went into one cooler and corals/inverts went into another cooler.

For the live rock I just used rubbermaid storage containers with about 3 inches of water, and through some damp paper towels over the top. I insulated with towels and blankets around the container.

Through the entire move, all I lost was a dersa clam. So I guess not to bad. Whichever way you go, good luck

MileHighFish
03/17/2009, 08:01 PM
This is from an earlier posting so I copy pasted.. Greg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14571480#post14571480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MileHighFish
I did a 900 mile move a few months back and didnt lose a coral, I would use a DC/AC converter, its enough power to run a sml heater, powerhead, and the air pump. I used eggcrate to make squares for the coral to sit in so they didnt touch one another. I put all live rock into 5 gal tubs with lids I added sand on top to keep moist. The coral road inside the truck, it was warm when I moved so we keep the AC on the entire trip and coral and fish sat at about 74 deg. The rock and the tank went in the bed of my fathers truck. Looking at the tank in your current house you wouldnt think there is much to do but plan on 12 extra hours then your thinking its going to take you now to break down the tank.. The LR did just fine and all told after the 16 hour drive and the extra time it took to get the tank broken down I was exhausted. I didnt get the tank back up and running for four days. I had two sps that had tissue loss but other then that I didnt lose a fish CUC or even my two anemones that sat in a 5 gal bucket (i couldnt get the off the rock they were on) with out circulation did just fine. Most people will tell you to sell everything back but for me this was not an option Im to attached to each and every piece. If I had to do it again I would use a cooler to help with heat/cold issues. All my corls did brown out, and Im sure there was a small cycle but all is well now.
Good luck.. Heres a pic 5 months later.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/gstone_2008/046.jpg

jbird0420
03/17/2009, 08:18 PM
Good to know. Thanks! How many total gallons of water did you move altogether? I'm looking between my 2 tanks at least 400g. I may have to make separate trips. Like you, I'm attached to my fish and corals, so I much rather move them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14633907#post14633907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MileHighFish
This is from an earlier posting so I copy pasted.. Greg

reelheel
03/17/2009, 08:24 PM
Keeping the livestock alive is not all that difficult, especially if you can somehow keep the temperature within range. That's really the only major obstacle in my opinion.
I've moved numerous large systems. Put everything in manageable rubbermaid or equivalent storage bins (15-20g size) and fill about halfway with aquarium water. Regular live rock will be fine as long as it's kept moist (cover with wet towel, etc.)
I've found it's best if you can move about half to three quarters of the tank's original volume (all the rock/livestock and the rest tank water) and then add the other 1/3 to 1/2 of new saltwater after the move, if possible. This will keep you from having to transport every single drop.

reelheel
03/17/2009, 08:27 PM
I just read my post, and it's not too clear, I'll be happy to elaborate if you have questions...

Moving tanks this size definitely sucks, and it's stressful, but it's very do-able.

jbird0420
03/17/2009, 08:31 PM
Move about 75% of the water from both tanks. I figured I would rent the biggest Uhaul or equivalent truck to move these 2 beasts. Get some big rubbermaid containers. Maybe a AC/DC power control for a few air pumps that I have. Should be good to go. Should I not feed the fish for 24hrs or so, to prevent them from pooping up the water?

jbird0420
03/17/2009, 08:32 PM
I agree! I really want to do it, just to say I did it..LOl!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14634118#post14634118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reelheel
I just read my post, and it's not too clear, I'll be happy to elaborate if you have questions...

Moving tanks this size definitely sucks, and it's stressful, but it's very do-able.

reelheel
03/17/2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, not feeding the fish for a day or so is definitely not a problem, and wouldn't hurt...
IME the best transport method is several average sized bins, filled about half-full. I think the majority of the ones I have are about 18-20g, so I'd have about 10g in each. I"d basically add a few corals, a fish or two, and then repeat in other bins. This will take more bins but will be much easier to handle when filled. I usually duct-tape the lids down to limit the splashing (you will lose some water due to splashing).
The live rock bins don't have to have water, so can be filled a little more with rock...It would be awesome if you could arrange to have some new aged saltwater there when you arrive, but if not, I'd always set the tank back up, fill about halfway with old (transported) water, and just arrange the rock, coral, fish temporarily with a small heater and a pump/powerhead for flow/aeration long enough to get the tank filled and plumbed, etc.
Everything will be fine like this, even for days, if you can keep your parameters relatively stable.

jbird0420
03/17/2009, 09:03 PM
Awesome! I'm going to have as much set up at my destination as possible. I don't anticipate this move till next year, so gives me time. Just rolling the thought through my mind, to see if it's do-able.

reelheel
03/17/2009, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah, should be fine. Just use some common sense, get advice from those with experience, and you're set. Heck, I'll probably have moved mine twice by then ;)

MileHighFish
03/17/2009, 10:55 PM
jbird. . It was a 100gal DT and a 60 Gal sump..

jbird0420
03/18/2009, 06:45 AM
Glad to hear about your success stories guys. Keeps me confident!!!!

crvz
03/18/2009, 07:16 AM
What part of the year you going to move? ;) That could play a large part in the logistics, as mild temperatures would certainly help. What part of Houston you thinking about moving to?

natereinhold1
03/18/2009, 09:00 AM
I moved my 75gallon 400 miles into the dead of an Iowain winter(8deg.). I lost 2 fish and some lps, softies didn't look good for awhile and i lost some, but bounced back well. It's been 3 months and you couldn't tell i moved it. Lotsa work tho...tubs, 5 gallon buckets with rubber sealed lids (cheap from HD) worked alright. couldn't keep the temp up even in the back of the explorer with the heat cranked until i was sweating.

jbird0420
03/18/2009, 09:12 AM
Thinking about this time next year. Spring, TX. My girl got a job lined up and the job market is wayyyy better out there in Houston than Tampa.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14636251#post14636251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crvz
What part of the year you going to move? ;) That could play a large part in the logistics, as mild temperatures would certainly help. What part of Houston you thinking about moving to?