PDA

View Full Version : Condylactus Question

Bulldogger2008
03/18/2009, 11:45 AM
Besides frozen seaweed, frozen brine and photoplankten and VHO lighting, is there any other special diet that these Anenomes need?

Bulldogger2008
03/18/2009, 11:46 AM
i also know they need calcium, iodine and strondium supplements.

Frick-n-Frags
03/18/2009, 11:55 AM
frozen seaweed? photoplankton?

you dont even need to really feed them. they filterfeed in between you giving them chunks of MEAT

no, you dont know that they need iodine, calcium and strontium supplements :D

they are a softie. a very common "garbage" caribbean anemone. they require light for their zoox, and some protein.

calcium is for building skeletal elements(which some softies do have, but not condy's) iodine is overrated, and strontium is a major trace that comes with your salt.

Frick-n-Frags
03/18/2009, 11:57 AM
if some LFS told you/sold you all that crap, you have my permission to shoot his @ss

Bulldogger2008
03/18/2009, 11:58 AM
what kind of meat do they need?

Bulldogger2008
03/18/2009, 12:00 PM
yes some LFS sold a NEWBIE all those supplements. I only dose what I can test for and I have a test for everything. Hey doing a 15% water change every two weeks is the right way of doing things right?

Frick-n-Frags
03/18/2009, 12:08 PM
you are correct regarding water changes as brute force "across the board" diluton of bad stuff, replenishment of good stuff

the meat is unimportant. those brine are cool, a piece of silverside, flake food. they dont care, they trigger to protein of any kind

if you are putting that in a reef, let me caution you on their potential to wreck your reef. they are a sticky anemone(read:pretty powerful stinger] and they are mobile.

one loose anemone=T5 tornado in oklahoma. it will cut a swath of death as it burns everything it touches

edit: fwiw, my ancient non-photo solitary coral mostly filterfeeds and catches the flake food i feed my fish. it works heh

Bulldogger2008
03/18/2009, 12:14 PM
can they kill shrimp? I added to cleaner shrimp for my Yellow Tang and one of them showed up dead 5 minutes later, the other is good to go. I noticed the condylactus has moved twice and is now burried itself in a small cave inside a live rock, any words on this?

Frick-n-Frags
03/18/2009, 12:20 PM
I think if it killed a shrimp, it would then eat it. some shellfish can go on anemones. whether it is their shell or some slime de-trigger i never studied up on that. (like domino damsels will dive straight into a condi. they have the de-trigger slime even though they evolved thousands of miles away from each other)

regarding why and when an anemone moves: punt. i have no clue what they are thinking in their little nerve nets, when they decide to take a hike.

edit: clownfish are just damsels with racing stripes, so it stands to reason that the dominos can do this family thing with the anemones too.

Bulldogger2008
03/18/2009, 12:30 PM
yeah i have 2 dominoes and 2 striped damsels, they were bought as starter fish. So your saying that the damsels can act like the clowns do? This should be interesting. So no need to feed the condylactus, they will get what they need from the water and lights. I think you mentioned that it would be ok to take a turkey baster and shoot some shrimp, algae into their face, lol.

Frick-n-Frags
03/18/2009, 12:31 PM
oh about that yellow tang: tangs are stupid fish (vs lets say a grouper or chiclid, you know)

they are also flighty stupid fish.

they are NOT immune to condy's

if the thing spooks at night and runs into the anemone, it can get killed and eaten. i unfortunately learned that the hard way

my condy story ended with him in a baggy in the freezer to kill it.
it got huge and that was the last straw.

Frick-n-Frags
03/18/2009, 12:32 PM
they dont eat algae, they grow their own symbiotically. the coloring that makes them a bit off-white or darker is the zooxanthellae in their tissue.