PDA

View Full Version : purple up??

tgriffin
03/18/2009, 12:25 PM
I have had my tank set up for about a month now and was wondering about different opinions on purple up. I was told it will speed up the growth of coralline algae.

any input would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

atwinparadox2
03/18/2009, 12:27 PM
Don't waste your money. If your parameters are good and you have good lighting and filtration, you'll get coralline.

billdogg
03/18/2009, 12:29 PM
+1000^^^ don't waste your money on that - there is plenty of other stuff in this hobby to gobble up you $$$ without wasting it on useless stuff !!!

Geodriller
03/18/2009, 12:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14638231#post14638231 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billdogg
+1000^^^ don't waste your money on that - there is plenty of other stuff in this hobby to gobble up you $$$ without wasting it on useless stuff !!!

+1001. once it takes off you will be amazed at how fast it grows. You may even with time think it is something of a nuisance

dwd5813
03/18/2009, 12:51 PM
it took a while for my parameters to stabilize but once they did i noticed coralline growing everywhere. be patient and keep up on your water quality and you'll have more than you know what to do with before long. a month in i didn't have any growth but now, three or four in, it's spreading well.

Sugar Magnolia
03/18/2009, 12:56 PM
Calcium, alkilinity and magnesium need to be kept within the proper ranges for coraline to take off. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

tgriffin
03/18/2009, 01:02 PM
okay.... I'm doing 20% water changes every two weeks. I haven't tested my water yet, I have been letting the LFS do it. I have a test kit and plan on starting doing test every week. The test kit I bought doesn't test for ammonia, but the livestock I have in my tank seems very healthy so I am assuming I don't have an ammonia problem.

I don't have enough snails and have had some green hair algae break out a little bit. I have been scraping it off and was wondering if that scraping the back of my tank is going to slow my coralline algae growth.

cnaegler
03/18/2009, 01:46 PM
the only time you have to worry with ammonia is upon startup of a new tank. Once it's ran through it's cycle you probably won't ever have to check it again.
Scraping the back glass won't hinder any coralline growth.

jnb
03/18/2009, 01:52 PM
Have you tested your makeup water or let your LFS? If those parameters are not good and often they are not depending on the salt and the salinity you are mixing at - your tank water will not ever be right. make sure you know what the saltinity is - don't use swing arms unless you are sure they are reading correctly and you know how to use them properly - they are often to blame.

New tank right? You will go thru many stages of algae growth - some ugly, some interesting and with time and proper husbandry - gone (in about a year is average from my readings and experience). I've never let LFS test because frankly if I don't do it myself - I do no trust the result. As far as your make up water, some salts are made for RO and some are not and/or made to mix at a certain salinity, so the resulting alk/ca/mg may not be right and may need to be adjusted. Scaping the back glass will not allow coraline to grow there - you are scaping it off. But if you are talking about coraline on your rocks, scaping the back glass will not hinder. If your tank has cycled and you don't overfeed and you do your water changes - you don't have ammonia.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14638434#post14638434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgriffin
okay.... I'm doing 20% water changes every two weeks. I haven't tested my water yet, I have been letting the LFS do it. I have a test kit and plan on starting doing test every week. The test kit I bought doesn't test for ammonia, but the livestock I have in my tank seems very healthy so I am assuming I don't have an ammonia problem.

I don't have enough snails and have had some green hair algae break out a little bit. I have been scraping it off and was wondering if that scraping the back of my tank is going to slow my coralline algae growth.