PDA

View Full Version : Kalkweiser Addition

almees
03/18/2009, 12:57 PM
Currently my 125 gallon tank is losing calcium faster then I have been replacing it with water changes. I have started to dose kents Calcium supplement to bring it back up to the correct level. Once I acheive this I would like to use Kalkweiser added to my ATO to maintain my calcium.

I was wondering if anyone would point me to an article explaining all the effects,amounts, ect of adding kalkwesier to my system.

Thank You

almees
03/18/2009, 01:01 PM
I found some articles in the archives section.. hopefully that will help if any others let me know...

Sorry somehow I missed that section before I posted the original question

troyman
03/18/2009, 01:31 PM
i have a 125 also i use drip method slow enough to cover eveporation in 24 hours, i test twice a week and 20 percent water change weekly i make fresh kaulk everyday a little white viniagar to 2 gallons i put like a tablespoon, i drip like 3 drips a second, i always ajust it a little works great everyone is happy gone with the supplements i use a mixed supplement magnesium idone and trace elements, but my ph stays 8.4 kh is 10 calcium is 480 mag is 1450 they always stay close to that if they go down or up i adjust the drips and amount of kaulk i add, usually a teaspoon to 2 gallons

droptheleash
03/18/2009, 02:07 PM
Almees,

The articles cover just about everything you need to know, but here are a few other tips...

1. A number of people have experienced tank crashes as a result of an accidental "kalkwasser dump". Depending on the type of ATO device you use, this may or may not be a signficant risk. Adding a couple of gallons of saturated limewater to your tank could have very bad consequences, so take some steps to reduce this risk.

2. When mixing limewater, wear a dust mask and possibly goggles. The fine powder is easily inhaled. I used to be very casual about this, and on several occasions I "burned" my nose and throat. I don't think it did any lasting damage, but I don't seem to have as many upper respiratory problems as I did back then.

almees
03/19/2009, 08:56 AM
At the moment I am slowing increasing my calcium back up. I have been adding Kents Liquid Calcium by the recomended dosage 5 ml for 50 gallons so 15 ml per day for my 125 tank and 55 gallon refrigium. (170 gallons total)

So far I have increased my calc by 20 ppm over a 3 days of adding this amount of Kents Liquid Calcium.

I also added mixed some kalkwater into my ato to help maintain increase my calcium back up.

I am planning on doing 15 gallon water changes once a day to also increase it.

Uncle Salty 05
03/19/2009, 09:23 AM
Kalkweiser

I thought maybe you were using the beer method instead of vodka. :D

almees
03/19/2009, 10:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14644613#post14644613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Uncle Salty 05
Kalkweiser

I thought maybe you were using the beer method instead of vodka. :D

rofl..... I did not even see that till now

Will my addition of kalkwater in my ato, kents calcium, and water changes be the best method to safely raise my calcium back up.
I use Oceanic Salt which has a calcium level of 480.

currently my calcium is 300 , I have a long way to go.

Kenmx10
03/19/2009, 10:50 AM
This should be what you are looking for.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/19/2009, 11:03 AM
at the moment I am slowing increasing my calcium back up. I have been adding Kents Liquid Calcium by the recomended dosage 5 ml for 50 gallons so 15 ml per day for my 125 tank and 55 gallon refrigium. (170 gallons total)

So far I have increased my calc by 20 ppm over a 3 days of adding this amount of Kents Liquid Calcium.

You can boost much faster. Maybe 25-50 ppm per day. Their recommendation is for maintenance, not making corrections.

This calculator shows how much to use:

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html