PDA

View Full Version : overflows, sumps

yellowbird
03/18/2009, 07:12 PM
Has anyone ever had the bad luck of an overflow losing siphon and flooding your living room? I have a Tidepool filter/sump, and although I'm not going to use the sump/filter part of the set up, since my tank is not drilled, I was thinking about using the siphon overflow. Suggestions? Should I get the tank drilled? I like the idea of the overflow having some skimming benefits. I've read the 3-part series on sumps and overflows, but I'm still not sure where I want to go. Thanks, Don

misiek
03/18/2009, 07:44 PM
You should have just gotten the tank drilled It seems like the BEST way to go... (make sure your tank is not tempered glass before drilling ) ... but if you want a Box you should look into the lifereef overflows I had on my first 75G tank, it never lost siphon. http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html

Good luck ...

Cbravo212
03/18/2009, 08:20 PM
I just got my overflow box from glass holes. They have a pretty good design and the drill bits came with the package. Now I consider myself a pretty good handyman around the house, but I was still a little hesitant to drill my own tank. They made it so easy it was rediculous.

What I was worried about the most was the bit "walking" on me. But it came with a piece of pressed wood to use as a template. Clamp it down and drill away.

I would drill your tank, or have someone do it. I now have nothing over the back at all. Drilled the return also.

Good luck in whatever you do.

kraze3
03/18/2009, 08:23 PM
Becareful drilling a 55. SOme are ALL tempered glass. You need to contact the maker and find out before drilling.

longdangler
03/18/2009, 09:40 PM
I've had an overflow box for years without any problem. Just make sure if you have a prefliter that you keep it clean. You don't want debris slowing down your flow and causing it to run out of the box. I have never had that happen personally. I clean my prefilter weekly and have been running it for 8+ years

Michael
03/19/2009, 12:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14642237#post14642237 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by longdangler
I've had an overflow box for years without any problem. Just make sure if you have a prefliter that you keep it clean. You don't want debris slowing down your flow and causing it to run out of the box. I have never had that happen personally. I clean my prefilter weekly and have been running it for 8+ years

i agree, i also switch mine off every 6 months and clean it out and replace the pipes, never had a problem with a hang on myself