PDA

View Full Version : Wantin to start a biocube 14 Helppp

Jose775
03/18/2009, 11:46 PM
Ok So ive been wantin to start a biocube 14. I've been doin research for thelast 2 months. I was just wonderin how to start it from addin live rock sand, a skimmer, and wat to add into tha tank i was thinkin of addin 2 clown fish false and maybe just soft coral that will be able to grow under stock lighting. so if anyone can just give me some ideas in what order to do this things. ohh and also ive heard of people taking the bio-balls out and addin live rock in there?

:confused:

likwidglostix
03/19/2009, 01:50 AM
I would highly reccomend doing the nanotuners 3.24 upgrade while the tank is cycling. The fans that come with it are junk, and both of my lights are out. The lighting problem could be the ballast which you can upgrade from them as well. I'm running the stock filtration so far. If you're going to remove the bio balls, get the StevieT media rack from mediabaskets.com once he opens back up. There is no advantage to running LR in lieu of the bio-balls. Biologic filtration is biologic filtration. The stock pump is working well for me, but I did add a Koralia nano. The stock filter cartridges work well, but they are expensive. Use the media rack with filter floss and carbon to replace them. Overall, I'm very happy with my tank, except for the hood and ballasts. I'm replacing it with a K-2 Viper 70w. I'll eventually do the nanocustoms retrofit, but only once I start building my own custom setup. Had I known about the poor quality of the lighting and fans, and the existence of the retrofit, I'd have gone that way from the start.

I started mine with sand and water, let the salt mix overnight. Once the water cleared up, I added some live rock. Grab a pen and some paper and design your dream rock work ahead of time. This will help when picking out your LR. Some will put the LR in first, then fill in with the sand, but as long as you set everything up before adding livestock, you should be ok just wiggling the rocks down into the sand. Try not to add LR before the water is fully mixed as it may kill any hitch hikers. If you need to change your rockscaping, try to do it before you put fish in. I've changed mine a couple of times, and although no one seems to be bothered by the change, it's best to err on the side of caution. Same thing goes for any modifications you make to the filtration. Let the sand settle before running the pumps as it will get everywhere. As far as a skimmer, I can't imagine you'd need one for what you want to put in it, but if you decide to add one, I wouldn't do it right away. You'll never get a proper cycle as you'll be pulling DOC's (dissolved organic carbons) before your bacteria has a chance to establish itself.

becact
03/19/2009, 04:20 AM
1) Don't run the bioballs. If you leave them in they become nitrate releasers over time and it is a pain removing them. They are supposed to be used with freshwater, the liverock will be your filtration.

2) You don't NEED to upgrade anything. Lots of people do upgrade stuff though, and you will need to upgrade if you want to keep anything besides fish and some basic corals. Everyone starts out by saying they'll be happy with the stock tank, and many are, but a lot of people end up upgrading (myself included) :).

3) No need for a skimmer, really. It helps, but cost is a factor here, too.

4) Read on here and elsewhere about the initial new tank nitrogen cycle. You'll want to know all about it before setting anything up.

5) Just run the back chambers empty (except for a heater!) until you learn a bit more about the biocube. It's a good tank! Although all I am using of it now is the glass :)

My biocube 14:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/bchandlerucf/Mar0709-1.jpg

Fsurocks99
03/19/2009, 09:06 AM
I have totally moded mine but i took out the bioballs and added rubble rock in the back middle chamber. The tank is also barebottom (no sand) in which i hate and love. I hate it because sand looks cool but it is a PITA to clean. I did take out the stock pump and replaced it with a maxi-jet 900 but that is because i need more flow for the sps corals im keeping.
I did a lot of research before i jumped like im sure these guys did. The BC14 is a sweet tank and you will love it. My only regret is I wish I went with the BC29, lol.

becact-your tank looks awesome.