PDA

View Full Version : need to buy a chiller?

seabeedoc12
03/19/2009, 05:20 AM
I don't think my ac will be able to keep my tank cool enough this summer. Anyone selling a chiller? Are there any other options, this is my first summer here and first in the hobby. Thanks!

Sango-chu
03/20/2009, 12:16 AM
I have a chiller that is just sitting there... what is the size of your tank?

seabeedoc12
03/20/2009, 06:01 AM
My tank is 55 gal. How does the plumbing work? Thank you!

bethnjeremy
03/20/2009, 07:59 AM
you have a pump pushing water in and feeds out. I have one going from my sump to the tank. But it only runs like once a day maybe. I try to keep my temp between 79-82. Well you can run a sump which will help keep your temp down alittle. also you can get a couple small computer fans and wire it up and attach to the top of the tank to blow the hotter air coming from your light off the top of the water. The only thing I can tell you with running a fan you will speed your evaporation up almost 2 as fast.

tylersdad
03/20/2009, 10:35 PM
I have a sump if you wanna use it, its about 12 gallons I think. And I have a fan that blows across the top of my sump and keeps the water about 4 degrees cooler, but I get a lot of evaporation. My auto top off stays busy.

dkermitb
03/21/2009, 04:48 AM
I bought a small fan for my lights at the Kadena BX. It's just a small brown fan that cost about $15 and sits above my 55 gal aquarium in the hood.

The fan is hooked up to my light timer so the T-1 light never has a chance to warm up my aquarium. I don't think the fan affects the evaporation rate as fast as a protein skimmer though. But I'm sure it plays a part.

seabeedoc12
03/22/2009, 08:18 AM
Thank you all for the input. I do have a sump filter system, and I could probably hook the cooler into that. Thanks for the offer Sango-chu, I'd like to check that out if I could. I currently have my top covered and don't have much evaporation at all, which I obviously like, but I think its making it warm. Would a fan between the lid and the light help anything? Thanks again, Kevin.

Sango-chu
03/22/2009, 11:59 PM
Sure no problem; not trying to get rid of a chiller but trying to keep a fellow in the reef tank program.
Hum...covered tank...may want to re-think this because the tank requires a large surface area for O2 exchange
Try everything before you go chiller...if you live on base ~ turn up the AC in the house...that usually works very well.

2t2_crash
03/23/2009, 01:00 AM
you're pretty good at keeping us in the hobby Luis... do you have stocks in some of these companies or something?