PDA

View Full Version : Base rock

jimnjamie2703
03/19/2009, 09:24 AM
I found this base rock on ebay for sale and I'm thinking seriously about getting it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140308410614

Right now I have about 35-40lbs of live rock in my 55 gallon tank, but to me it still looks kinda empty....so I thought about buying this and adding it to my live rock since I don't have the funds to buy more live rock. What do you all think of the rock?? It seems to be a good buy, but I want to make sure it would be OK to put in my tank and not something that will release anything harmful into my tank and kill my fish. I guess I'm just paranoid because the last time I bought rock all of my fish except for my clown died because I was lied to by my lfs and was told the rock was cured, and I'm guessing it wasn't and caused a cycle (I put 25 lbs of live rock in at once). I know base rock wont cause a cycle, but I don't want anything harmful released into the water, so would this kind be safe??

kraze3
03/19/2009, 09:35 AM
That rock should be fine as long as it was never used in an aquarium and treated with checmicals.

I dont know how much you need or what your trying to spend but check out www.marcorocks.com for some good base rock. I used alot of it in my 29 and love it.

drparker
03/19/2009, 09:45 AM
He's got good feedback on his rock and 100% rating. I would get it and put it in ro/di for a day or two. Blast it with a power head to get any loose stuff off and put it in the tank. As to your previous problem even if the rock was cured there will be some die off during transport. The LFS should have known better than to let you add more than 50% of your live rock at one time. The current rock did not have a high enough volume of bacteria to respond to the mini cycle fast enough. From now on if you add cured LR, add only a small amount at a time, your existing rock will be able to respond and you won't have a problem. After your tank is up and running live rock should thought of as adding any live stock, do it slowly over time.

jimnjamie2703
03/19/2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the fast replies!! I'm glad to hear it should be OK, it was a really good price, even with the shipping added to it, so I think I will get it. I think my tank would look so much better with more rock added to it. I've looked at my tank for 2.5 years with 40lbs of rock and it looks pitiful lol. Thanks for the advice!!!!

drparker
03/19/2009, 10:01 AM
For any newbies reading this in the future I think I need make my previous post clearer.

He had 15# of live rock in an existing tank. LFS sold him 166% of his current volume. Then a slight die off during transport created a situation that his current 15# of rock could not keep up with and his tank cycled again. They should have sold him a few pounds at time with a several week period in between additions.

Everyones Hero
03/19/2009, 10:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14644870#post14644870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drparker
For any newbies reading this in the future I think I need make my previous post clearer.

He had 15# of live rock in an existing tank. LFS sold him 166% of his current volume. Then a slight die off during transport created a situation that his current 15# of rock could not keep up with and his tank cycled again. They should have sold him a few pounds at time with a several week period in between additions.

Alternatively you could use dry rock. There's no die off & within a matter of days or weeks it'll be just as efficient as the rest of your live rock.

tatkinson
03/19/2009, 11:02 AM
Look at Caribsea Reef Rock- it can be had cheaper, I think I found it for about $42 for 50lbs and I think I paid like $15 in shipping. I know it's the same thing but I just trusted it more... don't know why since it's from the same people that brought us "Purple Up" but I guess I'm A sucka!

I put in 50 of the reefrock then covered with live rock. Even the bits of reefrock that are visible look good now. Very pleased with the results and would do it again. My ratio is about 1:2.5 reef rock to live rock.

Patriot54
03/19/2009, 11:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14644685#post14644685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kraze3
That rock should be fine as long as it was never used in an aquarium and treated with checmicals.

I dont know how much you need or what your trying to spend but check out www.marcorocks.com for some good base rock. I used alot of it in my 29 and love it.

How much did you use in your 29? I was thinking about getting some for my 29.

JDL
03/19/2009, 11:23 AM
i bought base rock from petsolutions
http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=12517147

shipping was cheap too.