PDA

View Full Version : cyano outbreak

meisel1
03/19/2009, 11:18 AM
I am having a minor cyano problem in my tank and was wondering whether leaving the lights off for two three days would harm my hard corals {acros, milleporas, pocillipora } and my crocea clam. And yes I am adressing the reason for the outbreak.Any replys would be welcome

kraze3
03/19/2009, 12:49 PM
Lights out wont get rid of the cyano. You need to blow it off the sand and scrub off of the rocks.

mikid
03/19/2009, 01:20 PM
lighting is one way,but it may come back,clean it(suck it out)add more flow to that area..................

Michael
03/19/2009, 04:01 PM
you need to remove the source of excessive nutrients to illiminate cyano, its easily removed by siphon and flow, however it will reappear unless you stop the source, usually its over feeding or a poor water source which introduces phos and nitrate, the lights out isnt a cure, just a temporary solution, as your already in the process of sorting out the source of the problem just keep the rocks and sand bed clear, dont let it settle and hope you identify the reason why its in the tank, the very best of luck

tastingSalty
03/19/2009, 04:20 PM
Does GFO get rid of cyano too? I was thinking of getting some for my algae.

pb4ugoout
03/19/2009, 09:19 PM
GFO won't directly get rid of cyano but it will lower and possibly rid your tank of phosphates which are partial cause of cyano.

padi200
03/19/2009, 09:54 PM
Red Slime Remover
manufactured by Ultralife is amazing. I did not want to add ANY chemicals to the tank, but the cyano did not go away with changing the lights or filtration. I used the stuff once and it has been gone for more than 6 months. I swear by it! No other coral, inverts or fish were harmed at all.

pb4ugoout
03/19/2009, 10:00 PM
Chemicals are all well and good but if you don't get to the root of the problem and solve it....it will likely come back.

bheld
03/19/2009, 10:02 PM
I just recently won a month and a half battle with cyano, at one point where it was basically my substrate in my 90 gallon. I upgraded my skimmer, added as much cheato algae as possible in my sump to compete, and left my sump light on 24/7 so the cheato was constantly competing...and what do you know! There is actually sand under that red slime!

stricknine
03/19/2009, 10:08 PM
- increase flow
- aerate water prior to water changes (increasing oxygen levels)
- rinse food
- manually remove it
- RODI water only

Increase oxygen, cut pollutants, and keep on the water changes. This was my solution. Also, time helps. you may be in for a struggle as the tank matures, very common.

david335
03/19/2009, 11:55 PM
Red Slime Remover, more flow & watch out for excessive nutrients

turretdr
03/20/2009, 05:50 AM
Well, since everyone has tried to address your source, which you said you are addressing, instead of answering your actual question, I will tell you this: I know several people with SPS dominated tanks that run what they refer to as "cloudy days". They turn off all or most of their lights for a day or 2. It happens in nature, why not in our tanks?

A little off subject, but I know a guy that has a lightning storm simulator over his tank. Really sweet.