PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia mutabilis

jdcremin
03/19/2009, 11:59 AM
I've identified a Aiptasia mutabilis growing from a zoanthid colony. Will send picture but I'm sure this is what it is - good pic at
http://actiniaria.com/aiptasia_couchii.php

What should I do with this thing - its growing fast and is about the size of a quarter? Its not like the typical aptasias that I've read about - maybe its not bad?

Thanks
Jon

Sugar Magnolia
03/19/2009, 12:42 PM
[welcome]

Inject it with any of the following:

Joe's Juice (available at LFS or online)
Kalkwasser slurry
lemon juice
boiling water

jdcremin
03/19/2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks - I'll prepare the tincture.

gwenvet
03/19/2009, 04:01 PM
Or go get yourself a peppermint shrimp.

johnvic
03/19/2009, 04:13 PM
I just tried Aiptasia-X from Red Sea. You may want to try it out. I only did it last night so I don't know if my problem is solved.

tastingSalty
03/19/2009, 04:18 PM
I got a pepp shrimp a couple weeks ago. Didn't feed him at all after I put him into the tank. Aiptasia gone in 2 days! (Then I started feeding him LOL)

kraze3
03/19/2009, 04:26 PM
Peppermints can be hit or miss with aiptasia. I added 2 in my 29 gallon when I saw a couple little aiptasias popping up. They were gone in 2 days. I say inject it or give the shrimp a shot. Aiptasia-X scares me, i dont liek to add things to my tank that I do not have to.

newnanoman
03/19/2009, 06:28 PM
If you only have one and you are able to just put a small piece of epoxy (what you attach frag with) on it you can scare it in it's hole and pt the epoxy over it, just be careful not to break it's tentacles off. You can also take less than a teaspoon of kalkwasser and add a couple of drop of water on it so it is like a paste then suck that into a syringe and hold it above it and they will grab onto it and it should die shortly after you do this (turn off your pump for a couple minutes).

jdcremin
03/19/2009, 09:37 PM
Actually its not mutabilis its couchii - take a look at the picture, it has some character. If it starts to propagate I'll get on with the eradication.

http://actiniaria.com/aiptasia_couchii.php

padi200
03/19/2009, 09:51 PM
I have used Kalk and Aiptasia X and they work about the same for me.