PDA

View Full Version : My Watchman Goby jumped and died

shuguley
03/19/2009, 01:12 PM
This sucks, I had a cute little Wheeler's Watchman Goby, my wife called me at work and told me she just found him on the floor. I told her to put him back in quick since she didn't know how long he's been on the floor. Well, she said he sank straight to the bottom and crabs and snails instantly started coming to him. So, I told her to take him back out, but she couldn't grab him and she pushed his body under the sand trying to get him out. Now she can't find him. He was pretty small, maybe 2 or 2.5 inches. How worried should I be about an ammonai spike? I don't think he would cause too much before he gets eaten.

This is my second jumper, I had a wrasse that jumped out through eggcrate, so I built a mesh top using 1/4" pond net. I thought this would really work, but apparently the goby was so small he still managed to get through.

mikid
03/19/2009, 01:18 PM
people are making their own screens using netting materail for birds and laying them n top of the tank,works........................

shuguley
03/19/2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks, but as I stated above, I am using netting.

I'm actually using 1\4" pond netting, which has smaller holes than the bird netting.

kraze3
03/19/2009, 01:23 PM
In a 55 you might be ok but I would get him out. Watch the snails and crabs they will find him soon enough and you can get him outta there

shuguley
03/19/2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, If I were home he'd be out, but my wife already tried and she doesn't like sticking her hands in there. I've got a lot of hermits and snails, hopefully they make quick work of him.

cubsFAN
03/19/2009, 04:11 PM
a little wheelers in a 55 with sump. i doubt youll see any effects worse than someone who feeds too much food. youre cuc should make quick work of him. in fact by the time you get home from work there might not be much left to find.