PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help with a top off design

honda70kid
03/19/2009, 08:44 PM
i want to make a gravity fed top off system can someone please help me with the design..
i can find one.
or if anyone has any better ideas..\

thanks!

uncleof6
03/19/2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, here is a better idea.

http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html

Regards,

Jim

sgwill122
03/19/2009, 11:53 PM
I ran a gravity fed topoff for several years with kalk using a toilet float off a tote. It worked pretty well just had to clean the valve every few weeks to remove kalk build up, probably no problems if not using kalk.

slakker187
03/20/2009, 12:46 AM
if you have a smaller system (mine is a 75g/55g sump), you can buy a float from dr. foster & smith (the one for the R/O), send the feed tube to a home bottled water system (like alhambra). You will have to modify the water bottle outlet, and let gravity fill it. that way you don't have to worry about a pump running dry if you forget to fill your res. also the bottle is clear and when you see it is empty just put another bottle on. mine goes through about two a week. also if you leave, it is easy to have somewhone replace the water.

uncleof6
03/20/2009, 12:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14650903#post14650903 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slakker187
if you have a smaller system (mine is a 75g/55g sump), you can buy a float from dr. foster & smith (the one for the R/O), send the feed tube to a home bottled water system (like alhambra). You will have to modify the water bottle outlet, and let gravity fill it. that way you don't have to worry about a pump running dry if you forget to fill your res. also the bottle is clear and when you see it is empty just put another bottle on. mine goes through about two a week. also if you leave, it is easy to have somewhone replace the water.

Or you come home to a flood and/or dead animals (sudden change in salinity) when the float fails. But that is just my opinon.... I could be wrong, but Murphy is not.:)

Jim

honda70kid
04/12/2009, 07:44 AM
yeah still loooking for some ideas.
thanks!

dwl
04/12/2009, 10:16 AM
if it was me, I would not run 110/120 volt AC through one of the float switches, but instead use a relay and put low voltage through the switch