PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Tunze need some advice

jubbin2001
03/20/2009, 12:17 AM
So since I am finally about to jump onboard the Tunze boat I though I would ask some questions.

Fisrt off here is what I have for flow in my 125g tank:
2 MJ 900 w/Sureflo 1200
1 MJ 1200
1 MJ 600
1 Koralia #2

Before you jump on my butt and ask "what the heck kinda setup is that?", it's because I had them laying around from my old tank and I thought "Hey why not use them?". So I modded a couple of them to get a little more flow out of them. Well I am not really a big fan, as everything gets pretty beat up by the MJ mods and I want to get a nice gentle randomish type water movement.

I am on a bit of a buget right now so I don't have a ton to spend on the controller and all that. I want to keep a nice surface agitation with a gentle flow through the tank (mostly softies, zoas, shrooms, and some LPS. No SPS or plans to get any....guess I am not a fan of fuzzy sticks :D ). I was thinking about getting a couple 6025 Nano streams for the sides and using the Koralia in the middle of the tank as another form of break up. I guess I am just wondering about how far does the flow actually travel from those before I loose to much. I would think that they should be able to do about 3' and meet in the middle where the Koralia would meet and break it up and add some redirection. I am not looking for a full 600gal/hr at 3' ;), but I would like more of a sway in the current so that my leathers aren't looking like there is a 50mph wind blowing them over.

I would LOVE to get a couple 6045's to do it, but I just can't spend that right now...maybe later I can replace the 6025's on the sides and throw the 6045's there and put the 6025's in the back corners at odd angles. I just want to do something, because these MJ are killing me...both in performance and in wattage. I know my coral looked much happier before getting beaten up so bad. I have tried redirecting them, and then I get a sandstorm, or neat little water vortexes complete with microbubbles....I wish I would have never got them. I have heard such great things about Tunze, so I thought now would be the time to start...well atleast somewhere. Thanks for listening and any advice you have for me :thumbsup:.

rvitko
03/20/2009, 09:21 AM
The 6025 flow pattern is about 30" by 18". I think you would be better off getting a 6045 or 6065 and later adding a second 6065 or second 6045 (you would have to keep the Koralia, if you do the 6045's).