PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia removal/control

Dolfan
03/20/2009, 02:54 PM
OK, I know there are many idea on this and I think I've tried many but I also have a twist.

I've gone with a faux-bottom in my 90g setup that has been running for about 3-4 years now. I am glad I have done the faux bottom as it has worked well, it's covered with coraline but still looks OK as a bed.

The biggest down side of the bottom is that things can attach themselves to it better, like aptasia. I have some Joe's juice and it seem to stun them for a while but not kill them. Tried some kalk solution also seem to just stun them for a few days, then right back.

For the aptasia that was on a bunch of liverock my best process has been while changing a bit of water, I have pulled the affected rocks and used a cordless drill with a 1/4 mason bit and drill the sucker right into oblivion!!!!!! I do this in the bucket of old water to not spread the particles into the tank, then just rinse it a bit and back in, that has worked well.

What other techniques have folks used to truly kill the aptasia, I'm open to all ideas. Any other faux bottom folks having a similar issue?

Thanks

Dweezle
03/20/2009, 03:37 PM
On rock I can pull out, I use a lighter. For those I can't, boiling water in a syringe. Both work well and I feel better knowing they suffered ;)

Dolfan
03/21/2009, 06:25 PM
Does just boiling water KILL them! I'll give it a try although in my case they are all at the bottom of the tank it it is a bit tough to inject them all the way down there!

gwenvet
03/21/2009, 07:13 PM
I had amazing success with 3 peppermint shrimp in my 75gal. Now the only problem is that I actually have to feed the suckers now that there aren't anymore aptasia.

barrettrhoades
03/21/2009, 07:23 PM
I have had great success with calcium. There are several different techniques that I use. First if you have kent Turbo calcium, which is little balls, then take a small pinch of 4-5 balls with your finger and put it in the water and drop it into the mouth of the aptasia. If you did it right the aiptasia will grab onto the calcium. When calcium reacts with water it gives off heat burning the aiptasia from the inside. Also with powdered calcium, and a syringe take the plunger out of the syringe, put in calcium, and place it in the tank near the aiptasia. Draw a small amount of water into the syringe, then squirt its contents gently into the aiptasia. The trick is to get the aptasia to eat it and not retract before you feed it calcium. You can also make a paste in the syringe and QUICKLY feed the aptaisa. Time is of the essence because you need to feed it quickly after adding water. Sometimes you need to feed the aiptasia several times before fully killing it. Also if you can remove the rock with the aiptasia on it you can put powdered calcium on the aiptasia out of the water thus burning it. Pepperment shrimp are a great natural way to keep aptasia in check, however they usually will not eat the mature aiptasia, only the small ones.

supervdl
03/21/2009, 07:24 PM
I had a hugh problem and I tried a lot. Finally I added a healthy Copperband and that finally worked. After a month none were left.

acemow
03/21/2009, 07:34 PM
I heard that using an oral medicine syringe to slowly inject a small amount of lemon juice works so I tried it in a small area and it did, in fact, work. I would have used more but am afraid it is unsafe. Peppermint shrimp are in QT waiting to be put in for hopeful clean up

Dolfan
03/22/2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the ideas, I've tried peppermint shrimp but can't seem to keep them around too long to make a dent. Plus now these aptasia are very mature and need another method like you all have noted. I guess lemon juice works since it is acidic. I'll try to hit them with some of these mixes and see how things go.

Then if I get things in control maybe I can add a Copperband B-fly or shrimp.

serum153
03/22/2009, 10:02 AM
5 peppermint shrimp mowed down at least 50+ aptasia ranging from small babies to 3-4" across. It took them a week and I didn't think they were going to touch it only to wake up a couple days ago and see none at all. I also didn't realize that peppermint shrimp only come out at night and scatter if you put any light there way.

rgrobe
03/22/2009, 11:05 AM
I've used Aptasia-X with some success. If you don't get it into their mouth, though, before they shrink up they tend to get p****d off and within days I find several more.

I bought a couple of peps but they disappeared within a day or so. I have a 180g so I wasn't two surprised. I thought I try once more and added 8 to the 180 last week.

I had dozens in all different sizes. Last night I spent almost 1/2 hour looking at my live rock and barely found two. Once they run out of aptasia there is plenty of food remains that I have seen them eating so they remain part of my cleanup crew.

betat
03/22/2009, 11:44 AM
I have used Joe's Juice and Aptasia-X with some success. Also added a few peppermint shrimp but they don't seem to be doing their job. It just seems like you kill a few and then you find a few more, kill those and then a couple more crop up. On a whim I checked inside my overflow with a flashlight and found "big momma". It was about three inches long with a mouth and tenticles that stretched about four inches across. Had to use a Sea Squirt feeder to get the Aptasia-X down into the bottom of the overflow where is was hanging out but I did get it and the several small one clinging to the walls. The moral is check your overflows and sumps too.

jus chillin
03/22/2009, 11:55 AM
copper band,copper band,copper band...they love this stuff i take in friends of mine's rock to get rid of it for them...but find a healthy one make sure it feeds before u buy it..not supper shy and looks generally healthy.....

sminker
03/22/2009, 05:50 PM
+1 to peppermint shrimp.

added 2 shrimp to my 125G and they have kept it free of aptasia for over 6 months now.

cdh9400t
03/23/2009, 11:31 AM
When ever i have a problem i mix a semi thick kalk mix in a syringe and inject it right over the lil sucker!!! It works well plus gives that extra boost of calcium when I need it.

natereinhold1
03/23/2009, 11:47 AM
Boiling water darn near melts them down, along with some syphoning and scraping, i have no aptaisia, and i use this method to keep my majanos in small, managable clusters, just because they look cool, but i could easily get rid of or at least nearly gone using this method.