PDA

View Full Version : protein skimmer too loud what to do

gindobuck
03/20/2009, 05:00 PM
hi my dad is telling me to get rid of my remora and get some crappy skimmer and force me to turn it on and off.
is there a skimmer that i can turn off at 1030 pm and turn back on at 8am?

from what i heard and have read your not suppose to do that or else the skimmer pump can break. (thats how my last one broke)

the remora is pretty quiet from what i heard if you do the modd.

is there anything else i can do to quiet the skimmer. i put a towel on it and that helped a lot.

is there any other material that i can put on the skimmer and around it to make it quieter?

Elan L.
03/20/2009, 05:21 PM
My remora is loud too! What is the mod!

luther1200
03/20/2009, 06:05 PM
What is loud about it? Where is it, in the sump or external? In wouldn't turn it on and off, they aren't made for that. It will shorten the life.

fordp
03/20/2009, 06:12 PM
If you have it hanging on your tank it's going to be loud... Put something under the mount to quiet vibrations.

As far as pump noise or splashing, it comes with the territory

gindobuck
03/22/2009, 10:00 PM
well its hanging over the tank.
the quiet mod is to put napkinds in the chamber where the pump brings water in.
this quiets it down a lot
but then most of the noise is in the middle chamber where the bubbles are being made.

what i did today is wrap the whole protein skimmer with bubble wrap two times. hopefully this helps. waiting for feedback tomorrow from my dad to see if he can sleep with it.
i also put a towel above it to decrease the noise.

in the beginning the remora is loud but as it settles, its suppose to turn a lot quieter