PDA

View Full Version : Help with typhoon III membrane change

tangman99
03/21/2009, 12:32 PM
I'm changing all my filters and installing the 150 GPH membrane. The picture shows how the current typhoone III was setup when I bought it in 2003. Not sure if it has changed, but the new membrane comes with a flush valve flow restrictor that does not exist on my current unit and I have no idea where to install it.

In looking at the picture I believe the valve on top is the current membrane flush that runs to the black line. The other valve I believe is the DI bypass.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/tangman99/aquarium/IMG_5998.jpg

This is the new membrane and the restrictor that comes with it. Where does this restrictor go in my system?

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/tangman99/aquarium/IMG_5999.jpg

I have racked my brain trying to figure out how all this stuff works. Can someone explain to me how the DI bypass even works? The line with clean water comes out of the DI chamber so how can it possibly be bypassed and water still come out of the pure water end?

Also, can someone explain simply how the plumbing works? I know water goes from chamber 1 to 2 to 3 to the membrane. When the water come out of the membrane at the two what I presume are exits, I am completely lost.

If anyone can help, I'd be very greatful. I need to make some water this weekend.

Thanks!

Khandurian
03/22/2009, 02:34 PM
Ok, this is how I did mine.

The black circle. Remove that section and move it to the section where the arrow is pointed.

So now you have to imagine that in its place.

Ok, now the red circle gets replaced with the new restrictor.

The section circled in blue gets removed completely. Only that little section.

Store it away for future use. Same with the other section.

Or, you could email air water ice directly and ask them if they have the older version left.

Then all you have to do is replace the restrictor. If they don't have any, I do know they can be purchased online. Just gotta google it.

Sorry about the size, I had to shrink it down to fit the site requirements. My personal web server is dead atm.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/185932IMG_5998.jpg

tangman99
03/22/2009, 09:46 PM
Man, how in the heck did you ever figure all of that out? I still don't quite follow you. I do have an email in to airwaterice but didn't hear anything from them on Friday and needed to do this over the weekend.

Thanks for the reply. I am confused though. If I understood you right, you move the guage to the back hose section which has no flow unless the bypass valve is on. Is this correct?

Khandurian
03/23/2009, 01:22 PM
The section that has the arrow on it, thats built in to the new device. Thats why it's no longer needed. So technically, all you have to do is remove that section, and the connector that the black tube is connected to.

Then disconnect the old restrictor and plug the new one in.

tangman99
03/23/2009, 06:17 PM
Ok, I understand now. Makes perfect sense now that I realize that it does both functions. Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it!

Khandurian
03/25/2009, 11:00 AM
No problem.