PDA

View Full Version : Which clowns host RBTA most?

lightningfront
03/21/2009, 10:26 PM
I have had a pair of tank raised Black and White Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) in my tank since the beginning of the tank. I purchased a RBTA 2 weeks ago hoping they would host in it but they have not even looked twice at the anemone. They host my powerhead, swimming on top and behind the powerhead at night.

I really want hosting clowns in my tank and from what I've been reading the Ocellaris clowns don't take to RBTAs well especially tank bred ones.

I tried the night time moving of the fish with my hand and it was pretty cool I was able to coax the clowns all the way across the tank over by the anemone but they still didn't want anything to do with it.

So I was thinking on trading the clowns in for a different species that host RBTAs normally. Which species host bubble tips the best?

TriggersAmuck
03/21/2009, 11:39 PM
My pair of Maroons took to a rose bta pretty quickly. I believe that the BTA and RBTA are the Maroon's host of choice.

ekr
03/21/2009, 11:46 PM
to me, maroon goes with rbta really nice because of the color.

lightningfront
03/22/2009, 12:47 AM
Maroons are kinda agressive though right? I don't know if they will work in my tank. I have all passive peacefull fish.

LiveRound69
03/22/2009, 01:22 AM
clarkii clowns will host almost any anemone ...other than an aiptasia...lol...but the female will get about 6 inches i think and the male will be a lil bit smaller,.. about 1/3 her size.

Rod Buehler
03/22/2009, 06:49 AM
From Fautin and Allen

Fish that are naturally found in e.quadricolor

A. akindynos, A. allardi, A. bicinctus, A. chrysopterus, A. clarkii, A. ephippium, A. frenatus, A. mccullochi, A. melanopus (primarily clustered form), A. omanensis, A. rubrocinctus, A. tricinctus, Premnas

dalston
03/22/2009, 01:02 PM
^^ go for the A. mccullochi..they only cost $6,000 for the pair :D

jubjub
03/23/2009, 10:02 AM
my false percs hosted my RBTA with in a couple of weeks.......i got rid of the nem's and the false percs, and got a pair of clarkii's they host my frogspawn of all things....i honestly think clarkii's probably could host anything.....but i've heard of horror stories of maroons destroying nem tenticles....