PDA

View Full Version : Tell me everything

Patriot54
03/22/2009, 03:34 PM
Tell me everything you know about zoanthids. Such as care, lighting, filtration, supplements, feeding, placement, or any other thing. I want to know as much as I can, please.

kingnai
03/22/2009, 03:37 PM
I know they are all different and like different things

Skipper
03/22/2009, 04:24 PM
Read the stickies at the top of this forum.

Patriot54
03/22/2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks, I didn't see that one up there.

geoxman
03/22/2009, 09:37 PM
I will tell you everything that you need too know, for the mere price if a hamburger. Sonic is best......maybe Rally's. I love a good cheese burger!

The search button also has a wealth oh knowledge! good luck

MUCHO REEF
03/23/2009, 03:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14667243#post14667243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Patriot54
Tell me everything you know about zoanthids. Such as care, lighting, filtration, supplements, feeding, placement, or any other thing. I want to know as much as I can, please.

Hello Patriot54, I think I resurrected one of your threads last week as I felt it deserved more attention than it received. I must say it's good to see you posting your questions which shows you want to learn the do's and don'ts of polyp keeping. The information regarding the polyps we keep is vast. Some of us agree and some of us do not. What you are seeking are answers, not debates and discussions over your questions/answers and what, how, where etc to best implement those answers. For those reasons, I would highly recommend that you would first do a few searches from the bottom right of this page on some basic topics which interest you. Spend a few hours or days grasping that information and then formulate some specific questions. Doing so will familiarize yourself with all the topics you mentioned above, then narrow your scope which will get you the answers you desire quickly.

Didn't mean to sound like a bighead, but I really want to see you get the most from this forum and the questions and concerns you have. I would also ask for recommendations on some good entry level books to read and keep as reference if you are a newbie. Not saying that you are, only if you are.

Also, you can gain tons, I mean tons of knowledge from goggling anything regarding polyp keeping. Not trying to turn you away from us by any means, but many will shy away from answering you if they don't see you taking a step towards seeking those answers independently. Translation......Someone might take this, "Tell me everything you know about zoanthids", as, "I'm only going to ask you guys to feed me the info, but I'm not going to take steps on my own to find those answers first". I'm not saying this is what you were doing, just that SOME might perceive it as such. I hope all this makes some sense, or did I just talk myself in a circle again? Absolutely no harm intended, OK?

Warm regards, Mucho Reef

mantaray1201
03/23/2009, 03:49 PM
CONSISTANCY! That is the most import thing you need to know. In EVERYTHING you do with your reef, stay consistant.

CONSISTANT...
water changes
lighting schedule
adding additives
temperature
SALINITY(pick what to keep your salinity at and LEAVE IT THERE 1.022-1.026) Pick a number and stick with it.
etc...

the808state
03/23/2009, 05:19 PM
i disagree with consistancy.

geoxman
03/23/2009, 07:01 PM
Can you please expound on your discrord with not keeping everything constant.

the808state
03/23/2009, 07:23 PM
Please note this my experiance and by no means am i trying to pass this off as the right or wrong way to do things.

Past practices:

Waterchanges were sporatic... I tried to keep them at a 1 per week, but did not end up that way. There was no consistancy to my water changes. The tank could go 1 week without a change and at the extreme, 6 weeks.

Lights were not on a timer. I would turn them on when i woke up and turn them off before bed. Light could have been anywhere from 8 hours on to 19 hours on depending on the day.

Temperature was all over the place as well. No chiller and no heater. (i'm in Hawaii - heater, no need) I'd see a 8-9 degree max swing per day.

Summer -
day 84-86*
night 77-79*

Winter -
day - 80-82*
night - 74-76+

I would only top off if i noticed the level was low or when i heard my sump pump sucking air. Top off done by hand.

Current Practices:

Bi-Weekly waterchanges / 13 hour day lights (timer) / Chiller - 1 degree swing no matter the season / ATO

I saw much better growth with the old slacker method.

Temp swings, Salinity swings, and Random daylight is all part of the natural environment.

Patriot54
03/25/2009, 08:53 PM
Did some reasearch Mucho. One thing I'm not sure about now is if I need a protein skimmer if I change the water every two weeks and I am assuming T5's would be ok for zoas?

Thanks for all of your replies.

650-IS350
03/25/2009, 08:55 PM
T5s are well adequate for zoas. People keep polyps even on PC's. It all depends to on the height of your tank since certain lights/bulbs have different par ratings>?

Patriot54
03/26/2009, 06:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14693300#post14693300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 650-IS350
T5s are well adequate for zoas. People keep polyps even on PC's. It all depends to on the height of your tank since certain lights/bulbs have different par ratings>?

Could you tell me the best placement for my zoas? I have an 18" tall tank with 1" sand bed and I'm getting a Nova Extreme SLR T-5 Fixture so it will only be 48 watts over a 29 gallon tank but that really doesn't matter from what I have read. So where would be a good placement when I first get them and then when they have adjusted to the lights?

Does anybody know about if I need a skimmer for zoas?