PDA

View Full Version : clam

zackdastack
03/22/2009, 08:16 PM
i just got a ultra blue maxima clam and it looks awsome . problem is i dont really know what to feed it i got it on a whim ... any suggestions?

entropygain
03/22/2009, 08:24 PM
now that your properly chagrined, I love clams.
They're actually pretty hardy.
If you've got plenty of light they don't need feeding.
But if you want to make them extra happy culture some phytoplankton and feed them that as a live culture. They love it. Prepared stuff is OK too. If it's little, be cure to get them a phyto supplement as light may not be enough.

good luck

Sisterlimonpot
03/22/2009, 08:32 PM
+1 they require good light and they filter water for food.

zackdastack
03/22/2009, 08:36 PM
thanks ento

zackdastack
03/22/2009, 08:37 PM
how often??

jbird69
03/22/2009, 08:41 PM
they are great critters, and most are quite hardy. They even do a small part in filtering nitrates from your system. They need calcium to grow so if you arent already, you may want to start dosing A & B.
I never feed mine and it is over a year old and doing great. I have heard a great way to feed them phytoplankton is to put your clam in a tuperware bowl full of tank water and let him open then feed him there. That way the clam gets copious amounts of food without it blowing all around in your tank and causing algae blooms.

zackdastack
03/22/2009, 08:52 PM
dosing your calcium huh?

zackdastack
03/22/2009, 09:18 PM
I DONT YET BUT I MIGHT START

entropygain
03/22/2009, 09:55 PM
Phyto is good stuff for everybody
easy to grow

Toddrtrex
03/22/2009, 09:59 PM
What type of lights to you have?

I have never fed phyto to either one of my Crocea clams, one is about a year old and the other about 3 years old.

IslandCrow
03/23/2009, 07:02 AM
I have heard a great way to feed them phytoplankton is to put your clam in a tuperware bowl full of tank water and let him open then feed him there. That way the clam gets copious amounts of food without it blowing all around in your tank and causing algae blooms.

Although this is common practice for some, it is not a very good idea at all. First, you really don't want to be continually moving your clam. Second, feeding a clam large amounts of phytoplankton all at once can clog the gills and cause other problems. All in all, it's very stressful.

As stated, clams do not need to be fed. Adding some phytoplankton to the tank as a whole is a fine idea, but clams eat a wide variety of things found in the water, so I guarantee you that your clam is already eating. On top of that, studies have been shown that all tridacnids (I think Hippopus hippopus may have been an exception) can receive all the energy they need not only to live, but to grow from their zooxanthallae. This applies to any size clam. So lighting is the single most important element in keeping your clam healthy.

zackdastack
03/23/2009, 08:37 AM
i have a hqi 150

zackdastack
03/23/2009, 08:39 AM
current

nanojg
03/23/2009, 08:45 AM
make sure and test calcium and alk often, clams suck it up pretty fast

IslandCrow
03/23/2009, 09:11 AM
That lighting should be fine on a tank your size. And good point by nanojg. Calcium & alkalinity supplementation will no doubt be required. You'll also want to keep an eye on your magnesium levels and supplement as required.

jbird69
03/23/2009, 09:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14671374#post14671374 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IslandCrow
Although this is common practice for some, it is not a very good idea at all. First, you really don't want to be continually moving your clam. Second, feeding a clam large amounts of phytoplankton all at once can clog the gills and cause other problems. All in all, it's very stressful.

As stated, clams do not need to be fed. Adding some phytoplankton to the tank as a whole is a fine idea, but clams eat a wide variety of things found in the water, so I guarantee you that your clam is already eating. On top of that, studies have been shown that all tridacnids (I think Hippopus hippopus may have been an exception) can receive all the energy they need not only to live, but to grow from their zooxanthallae. This applies to any size clam. So lighting is the single most important element in keeping your clam healthy.

Thanks for the clarificarion. As I said, I havnt personally done it, but know someone who does it and has many large clams. I always subscribe to disturbing my inhabitants as little as possible.

zackdastack
03/24/2009, 09:44 AM
i love my clam