PDA

View Full Version : will this be ok?

kenny77
03/23/2009, 01:03 AM
Im building my tank and came with an non permanent idea. Here is a diagram and I will explain it next.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/KennyReef/Kennys%20Reef%20Tank/Untitled-4.jpg

Area #1 is the overflow area. this is 20" high. Area # 2 will be an area dedicated to a pair of seahorse. Item #3 is the egg crate that will keep other fishes getting into this area. Also I will place the koralias PHs here, so the current goes to area #4 wish will be the main display.

The #2 area dimension will be 12" by 12" minus the overflow area wish is 6" by 6", basically a 24" by 6" runway.

The rock will be at almost water lever on the back of the tank. But on the areas were it not I will cover it with egg crate. I will also glue to the egg crates Green Star polyp coral. to hide the ugly look the egg crate.

ON the sea horse area will get purple brush gorgonian and some other types, but basically this will be the only coral on this area.

As soon as I see that the seahorses need more space I will be another tank just for them. The budget only lets me build one tank at the time.

Any idea on how to improve this. does it sound ok or should I just quit this idea?

any idea suggestion opinion is welcome

ann83
03/23/2009, 09:15 AM
Where is the front of your tank? Are you even going to be able to see the seahorses back there by the overflow?

Other than the fact that it appears from the diagram that you will not be able to see the seahorses, and that it seems like it will be really difficult to feed the seahorses back there, its also a really small area for them. Not a lot of space, and not very fair.

Also, you're still going to have to keep the temperature down, and keep the flow down, and the seahorses, even though they are segregated from the other fish and corals, will still impact your nitrates (making them higher). Another thing to consider is how often fish do manage to jump into the overflow, so they will probably manage to jump into the "seahorse area", or squeeze through the rocks to them.

kenny77
03/23/2009, 11:55 AM
The front area is ? every one. The tank is accessible on each side. Being the bottom, left and top side viewable the left size will be the size that goes to the fish room area. The tank canopy open from all 4 sides. the overflow is a tinted( I think this how is call) glass but can see through it.

Originally I was going to let this area open to make some nice area were the fish can hide, but it can bee seen from sides.

I plan to put a mesh on top of the tank, it is rimless and even when it will have a canopy this give some peace when not home, preventing fish coming out, hand getting in. and well the egg crate will go over the water level.

Has for nitrate, is not much of my concern since fish stock will be at the low. Maybe a couple, Copperband, clownfish pair, Flameback Angelfish, Green Mandarin Dragonet. that it.

If I add them will be the last think to add but I need to know If I will do it or not, to set everything now that Im on the building process.

ann83
03/23/2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think you are leaving enough space for the seahorses in that tiny area. I'd say for swimming room alone, they'd need nearly half the aquarium space; at least a third.

kenny77
03/23/2009, 12:46 PM
yes, that the only thing that bother me. I know i will later build a tank for them but still.

Well I think I will need more glass

mollymonticello
03/23/2009, 05:36 PM
It's a really cool idea, but...

when you first get your seahorses is probably the time you need to be able to see them the best. If you can't see them perfectly and easily, you might miss a small symptom of infection that can quickly lead to death if untreated.

And I agree with Ann that it's too small an area. And Nitrates are going to be a big problem. You won't believe how much seahorses eat and how much nitrate they produce as a result. Your reef will be full of hair algae in no time! I can say this from experience, unfortunately.

kenny77
03/23/2009, 07:20 PM
thanks guys. I think I will then build a SH tank later. I think I will just still build the tank with this gorginian area but let it open so that the other fish can have access to it.

The idea of having nitrate so high in my reef doesn't sound that nice.

rosebud161616
03/25/2009, 03:01 PM
I think that's a great idea Kenny! It just would not have been enough room for seahorses. They will really use more space if you give it to them. They're an amazing creature as I'm sure you'll find out with your SH tank! :)