PDA

View Full Version : would going from a 30 gallon sump/refuge to a 80 gal benefit me?

launchnukes
03/23/2009, 05:41 AM
my tank currently has a 30-40 gallon sump underneath it but i'm planning on building a fish room and moving the tank. with the new room i'll have much more room for a larger sump/refugium combo. i was planning a diy project and turning a 125g in to a sump/refuge.

will the extra 50 or so gallons benefit me (i know it will but how much?) is it worth the hassle? will i be able to keep an extra fish or two in the display tank? will the longer sump help get more oxygen in the water?

what seems to be best sump design out there for a 6ft wide tank with dual overflows (mine is a 6' wide 220)

Thanks.

crvz
03/23/2009, 06:49 AM
it will benefit you, but not that much. as long as you can fit the right filtration in the system, the size of the sump itself is irrelevant. The extra 50 gallons won't buy you anything in terms of a higher bioload, but if that larger sump allows you to get a bigger/better skimmer in place, gives you room to add other filtration as needed (phosban reactor, refugium maybe, etc.) then it may buy you the ability to add a few fish. If you can get all that stuff online with the 30 gallon sump, then there's no real benefit. Water volume alone (seeing as you're already in the total volume of >200 gallons) isnt going to be a big factor.

There's no real "best" design for that size tank, it really depends on what you want to do with or put into the sump/